IGNORED

Is it Time for Semenyo to start??

Redtrojan

4 hours ago, Pezo said:

Generally speaking I haven't liked the way we have changed the way we play when Semenyo comes on this season. I think he deserves a start but I dread the consequences for the way we play.

I think that if he starts we’ll play the same way we usually do (first half at least). 

I don’t think it’s him coming on that changes the way we play. I think it’s that he generally comes on at about the same time as we change everything else around. Either because we’re losing (in which case we also throw on Martin and any other forward who happens to be around) or because we’re winning (in which case we throw on extra defensive players). 

Yesterday was a case in point. Semenyo looked a threat when he first came on for Conway. And we hadn’t changed our style of play. It was 15 minutes later when we started making wholesale changes that he - and the team generally - became less effective. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BLRed said:

Half wonder if he is working at 50-75% capacity due to World Cup. Was dropping too deep and not constantly pressing as is expected from our style of play

He didn’t have a pre-season and that was his first start. He’s still building his match fitness and getting his general sharpness back. It’s not like flicking a switch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firstdivision said:

He didn’t have a pre-season and that was his first start. He’s still building his match fitness and getting his general sharpness back. It’s not like flicking a switch. 

…and getting used to playing with Wells. Partnerships can take time. I don’t think they’ve ever (rarely) started a match together in a two!  They played left and right of Martin under Holden when he went 433 in 20/21. 

I was delighted to see him start last night but I reckon Semenyo’s best position is as an out and out CF. He has all the qualities, physically he’s built like a brick shithouse, with the strength to to press and bully defenders has two good feet with impressive pace - I was disappointed when he got subbed.

His qualities are under utilised when played out wide imo.

34 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was delighted to see him start last night but I reckon Semenyo’s best position is as an out and out CF. He has all the qualities, physically he’s built like a brick shithouse, with the strength to to press and bully defenders has two good feet with impressive pace - I was disappointed when he got subbed.

His qualities are under utilised when played out wide imo.

I now acknowledge that, with the benefit of hindsight, I was wrong, but before he finally broke through as a CF, I considered his best position was wide left.

AS first came to my attention when he was on loan at Newport, where he impressed playing wide.

When he returned from his loan and was played in a more central role, he failed to impress: ergo, he plays better wide left.

As we now know, however, he is an extremely promising young centrally forward player.

Edited by PHILINFRANCE

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I now acknowledge that, with the benefit of hindsight, I was wrong, but before he finally broke through as a CF, I considered his best position was wide left.

AS first came to my attention when he was on loan at Newport, where he impressed playing wide.

When he returned from his loan and was played in a more central role, he failed to impress: ergo, he plays better wide left.

As we now know, however, he is an extremely promising young centrally forward player.

I remember reading the reports that Chelsea and Man United were looking at him and thinking that was odd. I guess that's why I'm posting on a forum not working as a scout.

Tinnion made the observation on commentary last night, that when Conway came on he played really centrally and arguably posed more direct threat as a consequence. (it also means he play much closer to Wells)

Last night Semenyo seemed too intent on coming deep to bring the ball forward and as such lacked impact where it mattered against a packed defence. (understandable, though as the MF seemed to be unable to get him into the game)

Tough one this as Semenyo is such a talent but I fear Wells and Conway as a duo are much more of a threat than individually playing with one other.

Semenyo may have to be the one we cash in on in Jan. Got to think of the dynamics of the side, and we need to persevere with what has worked for us. The alternative is we return to the Weimann, Semenyo Martin trio but thats a step back on how we are trying to play now and harsh on Wells and Conway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

…and getting used to playing with Wells. Partnerships can take time. I don’t think they’ve ever (rarely) started a match together in a two!  They played left and right of Martin under Holden when he went 433 in 20/21. 

Indeed.

Having said all that, I thought he looked dangerous in the first half. Nearly scored one (from Wells' cross) and nearly created one with a cross (for Wells). It's not an exact science, is it?

Firstly, let’s not write Semenyo off after one start.  He’s an awesome talent, and let’s show a bit of patience.  It’s pretty much the first time he’s ever started with Wells in a forward pairing…it might even be the first!

In a similar vain, let’s also see Tommy Vinway over a longer period too.  Young players plateau at times too.

Personally I think we are blessed with the different forward options we have.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Firstly, let’s not write Semenyo off after one start.  He’s an awesome talent, and let’s show a bit of patience.  It’s pretty much the first time he’s ever started with Wells in a forward pairing…it might even be the first!

In a similar vain, let’s also see Tommy Vinway over a longer period too.  Young players plateau at times too.

Personally I think we are blessed with the different forward options we have.

Does Semenyo lose some market value from sitting on the bench? I know NP isn't going to be thinking like that when he picks his XI, nor should he, but it is a bit of a concern. It's not like Semenyos potential is any less though whether he starts or not, but I don't want us accepting a low-ball offer either or risk him running his contract down.

Edited by Champfan45

14 hours ago, Champfan45 said:

Does Semenyo lose some market value from sitting on the bench? I know NP isn't going to be thinking like that when he picks his XI, nor should he, but it is a bit of a concern. It's not like Semenyos potential is any less though whether he starts or not, but I don't want us accepting a low-ball offer either or risk him running his contract down.

The time to worry about / consider his value is late December, as we approach the January window.

He’s just returning to full fitness after a fractured shin.

• Like 2