IGNORED

Conway set for Scotland

AshtonRobin21

5 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Really delighted for Tommy. But that just seems to be ensuring a quicker  route away from city

Probably true but at least his value will be rocketing. Hopefully we can keep him a while but knowing that we are producing such quality young players now can only help us in the long run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Really delighted for Tommy. But that just seems to be ensuring a quicker  route away from city

When more and more of our players are attracting attention from other clubs then that means we are doing something right, it's when nobody wants your players that you have a problem!

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Fantastic achievement for Tommy.   It was funny watching the last video from the training ground with the other players joking about his Scottishness and Pearson (seemingly sincerely) telling him to watch Braveheart on the train up as “that will tell you everything you need to know about being Scottish”

1 to 1 lessons with Scotty

The Scotland squad isnt overloaded with strikers which would make this make sense. Looking at the latest squad, you have Che Adams and Lyndon Dykes. You’re then looking at Ryan Fraser and Ryan Christie listed as forward options but are more midfield/wingers. Jacob Brown and Ross Stewart both injured.

Its not fanciful purely due to the lack of resources aside from anything else.

Quite a tough decision for Conway to make really, in reality he would have a very low chance of ever representing England but to commit to an alternative nation at such a young age is quite a commitment. I suspect he was quite happy to play u21 football but if he was to play in the Nations League he would be "Scottish" for life which complicates it slightly.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Perhaps I’m getting a little carried away but I genuinely feel he’s going to play in the PL very soon & should wait for a possible England call even if it only comes once in his career like Kevin Davies. Guess it depends how Scottish/English he feels.

I agree in reality he is English and would probably value 1 or 2 England caps far more than 50 Scotland ones

11 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Probably true but at least his value will be rocketing. Hopefully we can keep him a while but knowing that we are producing such quality young players now can only help us in the long run. 

If we could keep hold of them long enough to actually benefit us, and by that, I mean getting to the next level and not just generating money for the club which whilst good for them doesn't exactly do the likes of us much good does it when all it means is we get to see them doing great things at another club. I have grown a little weary of it in the last couple of years Lloyd Kelly, Josh Brownhill, Adam Webster, I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture.  

Edited by pillred
Opinion
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pillred said:

If we could keep hold of them long enough to actually benefit us and by that, I mean getting to the next level and not just generating money for the club which whilst good doesn't exactly do the likes of us much good does it. 

How good are our forwards coming through is the question if a big offer comes in. Semenyo if he goes to the Wrld Cup and actually gets on the score sheet will attract even more interest not to mention Tommy? 

Bell I am told is quite a prospect, who else is there?

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

How good are our forwards coming through is the question if a big offer comes in. Semenyo if he goes to the Wrld Cup and actually gets on the score sheet will attract even more interest not to mention Tommy? 

As a club we are in a classic catch 22 we can't seem to get promotion because as soon as we get a half decent player or players as is the case at the moment, they attract bids from other clubs leave us and we have to start all over again, in my previous post I listed 3 players that had we been able to keep them we might well be playing at a higher level I realise a lot of clubs have the same problem but some have somehow held on to their top players just long enough to get there. 

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Sounds like maybe Scotland want to give him a few minutes in the senior squad so they get to keep him in the future. i think I`m right in saying that up to U23a player can subsequently switch a la Jack Grealish but not after they`ve played for the full side?

I think it depends on whether the game is a friendly or not. Something like that.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, pillred said:

As a club we are in a classic catch 22 we can't seem to get promotion because as soon as we get a half decent player or players as is the case at the moment, they attract bids from other clubs leave us and we have to start all over again, in my previous post I listed 3 players that had we been able to keep them we might well be playing at a higher level I realise a lot of clubs have the same problem but some have somehow held on to their top players just long enough to get there. 

The lure financially to players is too much for most clubs in the championship. Once interest has been made known to the player 19 out of 20 the player wants to go and hanging on to a unhappy player is pointless. The trick is recruitment and what you have coming through the academy. Brentford always a good example just kept recruiting well while selling their best players until they finally made it. 

City’s recruitment for the last 49 years has been overall pretty poor with the exceptions we could all point too. 

What has changed dramatically is the increased amount of players coming through the academy and the fact we can’t afford players due to FFP, forcing the guys picking the side to concentrate on what we have. 

• Like 3

Fifa rules now allow players to play up to three times for a nation before the age of 21 before being tied down. Declan Rice played three times including in a competitive match for Ireland before swapping to England. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2020/09/19/fifa-eligibility-rule-change-offers-world-cup-hopes-for-one-cap-wonders/?sh=4b94b02f511e

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Fifa rules now allow players to play up to three times for a nation before the age of 21 before being tied down. Declan Rice played three times including in a competitive match for Ireland before swapping to England. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveprice/2020/09/19/fifa-eligibility-rule-change-offers-world-cup-hopes-for-one-cap-wonders/?sh=4b94b02f511e

Interesting, I didn’t realize that.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Seb Palmer-Houlden

Tommy Backwell

Both seem in favour.  SP-H is a prospect

Sam Pearson is having a good run out at Yeovil but is being played wide.

Not sure if Prince Henry is fancied?

The next generation again has Ben Ap Sion just signed from from Guernsey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Didn’t know this!  So it’s a win win for Tommy.  Gets to play an international and still keeps his options open.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Seb Palmer-Houlden

Tommy Backwell

Both seem in favour.  SP-H is a prospect

Sam Pearson is having a good run out at Yeovil but is being played wide.

Not sure if Prince Henry is fancied?

The next generation again has Ben Ap Sion just signed from from Guernsey.

Plus Jamie Knight-Lebel….he’s really caught my eye.