IGNORED

Think football is poor now ?

slartibartfast

12 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The players would be improved further. These players created their great. The extrinsic and intrinsic drivers of what made them great remains in any era. 

What we see is people dont think think about how players became great. Its not arbitrary dictated by an age. Great players have distinguishing factors that transend any era, growth mindset, fight response, how humans acquire and create their skills , how axons work, myelination occurs doesnt change. 

Axons and myelination work in pretty much the same way in every healthy human. However they can be enhanced by applying modern day scientific methods that are accessible to the majority of professional footballers or any professional athlete - supreme fitness.

8 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Axons and myelination work in pretty much the same way in every healthy human. However they can be enhanced by applying modern day scientific methods that are accessible to the majority of professional footballers or any professional athlete - supreme fitness.

You do not need supreme fitness to create neural pathways. The process requires repetition. The quality of the repetition enhances the process and this can mean a individual in football doesnt have to have beyond a moderate fitness level to create skill. Myelination is enhanced by intensity of training (football), its focus v physicality, and this then internalises the task.

Off tangent .. Myelination can be stimulated by visualisation. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, but then back to @TBWand the OP, why bother comparing in the first place…both methods are futile in that respect as well, aren’t they?

Because that's what people do. They say "Oh, no Pele was way better than whoever"... Which isn't true. For his time. Maybe... But outright better. No.

You get the same argument in other sports - "No team in today's NBA would beat the '96 Chicago Bulls"... I'm sorry but yes. They would. There isn't ever the asterisk of "if the Bulls had today's training etc." it's just 1-for-1.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I was at this game as a 14 y o, didn't realize quite how poor the standard actually was back then! I know the pitches didn't help............another interesting point, listen to the silence when Man City score, away travel wasn't " a thing" back then, took another couple of years for it to really start. Any away fans (back then ) were mostly oldies travelling in ONE coach. They used to sit in stands (as opposed to terraces). At AG they seemed to used to congregate in the Grandstand (Williams) toward the EE.

I was there!.

3 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Not just as far back as the 60s either - take a look at the ‘crap 90s football’ Twitter account

The football even in the 00s. The last 10-15 years football has evolved so much I think. The quality of our play off games with Palace and Hull are pretty poor aside from the wonder strikes!

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Jimmy Greaves would score a load of goals in whatever era he played.

Agreed quick and a great finisher at any time 

Talking of Greavsie , the one thing that would have changed his life is being sub in the World  Cup final , may well have come on , but no subs allowed then BUT noticed  on the film that five months earlier in domestic football subs were allowed , if only …

It's actually an interesting discussion regarding how those players compare to nowadays. For example, if you were somehow able to strip it all back so they all had the same diet, physio, support, etc across generations, is there an argument to be had that players of today would still be considerably better purely due to humans simply getting better? For example world records in Olympic sports being continually broken over the years, etc. Or could we put that down to simply better coaching / wider talent pool, etc?

Either way, I do know it's a moot point, you can only play what's in front of you, but I'd be interested to know the opinions of people who may be more clued up than me scientifically.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Jimmy Greaves would score a load of goals in whatever era he played.

His name came up on a radio show discussing Haaland which prompted to look at his record again. I love this bit in particular from his WIki page. He would score goals now I think but I don't think he would be quite this prolific. :)

"In the 1960–61 season, Greaves scored hat-tricks against Wolves, Blackburn Rovers and Manchester City; he scored four goals against Newcastle United and Nottingham Forest; and hit five goals in a 7–1 win over West Bromwich Albion. His hat-trick against Manchester City on 19 November included his 100th league goal, making him the youngest player to pass the 100-goal mark, at the age of 20 years and 290 days."

Wow!

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And I’m sure if Bobby Charlton had been born 50 years later, he’d have evolved to be a top player in an era half a decade later.

Hmmm, I’m not so sure.

I read some years ago that Bobby and his brother would be playing outside most nights, frequently after dark, practicing by kicking the ball against the wall etc.

Today, or even just fifty years later, the neighbours would be screaming blue murder and they would probably be issued with ASBOs ?.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, paignton red said:

Don’t get Cholmondley-Warner started on women professional footballers,WOMEN-KNOW YOUR PLACE.

• Haha 1