IGNORED

did you enjoy Subbuteo?

Never to the dark side

wow - thanks for posting and so many happy memories of the late 70's early 80's when i was a lad have come flooding back to me!

I had a odd up bring as a kid being born into the Plymouth brethren (odd christian church/cult that was big in Bristol), so grow up with no TV, Radio, trips to cinema, basically lots of going to church and not too much fun........ but that did not stop us supporting City (although we were not allowed to go to games!!) playing loads of footy after church in the car park and being allowed games like the mighty Subbuteo......

I remember playing in leagues with other kids in the church and playing hours on my own (as my older brother gave up, due to me being better then him at it!!) the odd thing I found is often I would play two teams against each other and always start the game with a favorite (in those days it was Rochdale, Arsenal, City and West Germany - don't ask me why other then the city!). but somehow occasionally the team I wanted to win lost and I used to get slightly unhappy (the same feeling I had last week when we lost to Norwich!) even though I was playing against myself...... weird but true!

The Half man half biscuit song sums up my childhood!! at least the worst that happened in subbuteo was a uneven playing surface (we glued our pitch to a thick piece of wood my dad got). I still have scaletrix up in the attic that never really worked, back then and certainly not now..........

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

wow - thanks for posting and so many happy memories of the late 70's early 80's when i was a lad have come flooding back to me!

I had a odd up bring as a kid being born into the Plymouth brethren (odd christian church/cult that was big in Bristol), so grow up with no TV, Radio, trips to cinema, basically lots of going to church and not too much fun........ but that did not stop us supporting City (although we were not allowed to go to games!!) playing loads of footy after church in the car park and being allowed games like the mighty Subbuteo......

I remember playing in leagues with other kids in the church and playing hours on my own (as my older brother gave up, due to me being better then him at it!!) the odd thing I found is often I would play two teams against each other and always start the game with a favorite (in those days it was Rochdale, Arsenal, City and West Germany - don't ask me why other then the city!). but somehow occasionally the team I wanted to win lost and I used to get slightly unhappy (the same feeling I had last week when we lost to Norwich!) even though I was playing against myself...... weird but true!

The Half man half biscuit song sums up my childhood!! at least the worst that happened in subbuteo was a uneven playing surface (we glued our pitch to a thick piece of wood my dad got). I still have scaletrix up in the attic that never really worked, back then and certainly not now..........

One of the great things about Subbuteo was, if you were into the (perhaps) even more nerdy hobby of wargaming - as I was as an early teen - then you could turn your Subbuteo pitches upside down, drape them over small piles of books and other objects and create a realistic battlefield for your 25mm soldiers to fight it out on.

Of course, once a serious girlfriend came into my life then the Subbuteo and wargaming got swiftly sidelined.  :laugh:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

The "normal" pitch configuration was to pay it on the carpet, but any sort of pile on the carpet made it pretty naff.

One of my friends market a pitch up on his 1/4 size snooker table and this was the best I played on. The down side was the number of broken limbs when disentangling players from the pockets.

My Dad got a big piece of hardboard and the pitch stuck nicely to the rough side. Unfortunately the hardboard warped when kept behind the radiator so one team had to kick uphil!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

The "normal" pitch configuration was to pay it on the carpet, but any sort of pile on the carpet made it pretty naff.

One of my friends market a pitch up on his 1/4 size snooker table and this was the best I played on. The down side was the number of broken limbs when disentangling players from the pockets.

My Dad got a big piece of hardboard and the pitch stuck nicely to the rough side. Unfortunately the hardboard warped when kept behind the radiator so one team had to kick uphil!

Yep, short pile carpet, smooth it down nicely (my house).  Long pile carpet, like playing on a sponge (mates house, and he was a shover not a flicker).

Kitchen table with clothes pegs to keep it in place made it play like Loftus Road Astroturf.

10 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

One of the great things about Subbuteo was, if you were into the (perhaps) even more nerdy hobby of wargaming - as I was as an early teen - then you could turn your Subbuteo pitches upside down, drape them over small piles of books and other objects and create a realistic battlefield for your 25mm soldiers to fight it out on.

Of course, once a serious girlfriend came into my life then the Subbuteo and wargaming got swiftly sidelined.  :laugh:

This reminds me of when I converted my Subbuteo 5aside pitch that had thick cardboard surround, into a speedway track ?

Used the fine dust like stuff that they use for Model Railways for the track. Stuck it down and a little left on top loose. Painted the white inner line and starting gate. 

We used the Britain's model Speedway riders. Which came in all black leathers. We used to paint up different leathers with Matt humbrol paint. Based on actual riders of the time. This was when Bristol Bulldog's raced at Eastville on a Friday night. I used to go every week with Dad and friends. Dad had a friend who worked in the pits, who'd let me in to get all the riders autographs. I digress...

We marked the inside white line in sections and moved the riders with dice throws. Heat leaders would get +1 added to the roll value, middle order riders the value of the dice throw, and reserve riders the roll value less 1. This method gave surprisingly realistic results. We'd meet up after school, have race meetings, keep a programme, rider averages, league table etc. It was brilliant fun. 

Then when you ' bought' a new rider, you'd place plastic rider in meths, strip off paint, and repaint into his new leathers.

The detail we went into was ridiculous. ??

And as you'd expect we'd do similar with Football Subbuteo leagues. 

On rainy days after school it kept us entertained.

If dry, we'd be out playing footy or having cycle speedway races...street leagues. ??

All this whilst playing league footy on a weekend for local club,  school team footy and Rugger, and Junior Golf at local club.

I loved my childhood 

Simple times I wish I could do again.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

This reminds me of when I converted my Subbuteo 5aside pitch that had thick cardboard surround, into a speedway track ?

Used the fine dust like stuff that they use for Model Railways for the track. Stuck it down and a little left on top loose. Painted the white inner line and starting gate. 

We used the Britain's model Speedway riders. Which came in all black leathers. We used to paint up different leathers with Matt humbrol paint. Based on actual riders of the time. This was when Bristol Bulldog's raced at Eastville on a Friday night. I used to go every week with Dad and friends. Dad had a friend who worked in the pits, who'd let me in to get all the riders autographs. I digress...

We marked the inside white line in sections and moved the riders with dice throws. Heat leaders would get +1 added to the roll value, middle order riders the value of the dice throw, and reserve riders the roll value less 1. This method gave surprisingly realistic results. We'd meet up after school, have race meetings, keep a programme, rider averages, league table etc. It was brilliant fun. 

Then when you ' bought' a new rider, you'd place plastic rider in meths, strip off paint, and repaint into his new leathers.

The detail we went into was ridiculous. ??

And as you'd expect we'd do similar with Football Subbuteo leagues. 

On rainy days after school it kept us entertained.

If dry, we'd be out playing footy or having cycle speedway races...street leagues. ??

All this whilst playing league footy on a weekend for local club,  school team footy and Rugger, and Junior Golf at local club.

I loved my childhood 

Simple times I wish I could do again.

Oh for those uncomplicated, joyful days and speedway at Hengrove where my friend now resides on the former track in Long Eaton Drive.

• Flames 1

50 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Oh for those uncomplicated, joyful days and speedway at Hengrove where my friend now resides on the former track in Long Eaton Drive.

Wasn’t that known as the “dog track”…assume because of dog racing?

There was a cycle speedway track off of Cadogan Road, by the “brook”.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Wasn’t that known as the “dog track”…assume because of dog racing?

There was a cycle speedway track off of Cadogan Road, by the “brook”.

Yes, dog track and speedway at Knowle Stadium back in the day.

Airport Lions cycle speedway team rode at the track at Oakdale Road off Cadogan Rd and across the brook from Airport Road hence the team name. One rider's  name maybe familiar to you;  Carlo Mancini?

19 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Yes, dog track and speedway at Knowle Stadium back in the day.

Airport Lions cycle speedway team rode at the track at Oakdale Road off Cadogan Rd and across the brook from Airport Road hence the team name. One rider's  name maybe familiar to you;  Carlo Mancini?

Yes, played footie against him a fair bit over a few years (versus Broad Plan).

I’m a hengrovian.  Sold my soul and moved north of the river though.

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, played footie against him a fair bit over a few years (versus Broad Plan).

I’m a hengrovian.  Sold my soul and moved north of the river though.

I'm from West Knowle and a founder member of Broad Plain House in 1964 when our U16 Fed team moved up. Went to Hengrove School and played in same year group as Trevor Tainton.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

I'm from West Knowle and a founder member of Broad Plain House in 1964 when our U16 Fed team moved up. Went to Hengrove School and played in same year group as Trevor Tainton.

West Knowle!  Love it!!!!

Whatever happened to the horses on the other side of Airport Road!

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

West Knowle!  Love it!!!!

Whatever happened to the horses on the other side of Airport Road!

Can't recall any horses there. The only horses I saw in KW were attached to Carlie Long and Eli's fruit and veg carts. Eli even delivered a cart load of manure for my grandad which we shovelled over the hedge from the cart on the pavement. George Workman also had horses and can remember going back to the Venture after a Sunday morning game and he was giving kids rides around Melvin Square then brought the horse into the Venture and got it a pint to drink.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, short pile carpet, smooth it down nicely (my house).  Long pile carpet, like playing on a sponge (mates house, and he was a shover not a flicker).

Kitchen table with clothes pegs to keep it in place made it play like Loftus Road Astroturf.

Seem to recall one of my mate's having the 'astroturf' version, which had a backing on it like carpet does to keep it smooth. The flash b'stard :)

On 21/09/2022 at 12:31, Mad Cyril said:

I still have my boxed astropitch (rolled not folded) plus a wide array of boxed teams. My fav is Coventry city circa 1977, the one with the hand painted braces now recreated in this season's kit.

The striker is a bit heavy - a large transplant of super glue following a near career-ending injury, smashing into the kitchen wall from a penalty follow through....

Was it Mick Quinn?

• Haha 1

Lots of memories flooding back.

First set was “Club Edition” (always wanted Munich edition).  Neighbour sat on the goalnet by accident, snapping the crossbar….Wembley 76 recreated in an instant! ?  he was a clumsy bugger at the best of times!

Had a Norwich hand-painted kit, one of the players kept breaking and the glue used seemed to dissolve the plastic so he got shorter and shorter each break.  Norwich had a short player called Mick Maguire, so that player was always him.

Did anyone ever have the adidas tango balls made of sponge?  They were great for chipping free-kicks over the wall.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

First set was “Club Edition” (always wanted Munich edition).  Neighbour sat on the goalnet by accident, snapping the crossbar….Wembley 76 recreated in an instant! ?  he was a clumsy bugger at the best of times!

Had a Norwich hand-painted kit, one of the players kept breaking and the glue used seemed to dissolve the plastic so he got shorter and shorter each break.  Norwich had a short player called Mick Maguire, so that player was always him.

Did anyone ever have the adidas tango balls made of sponge?  They were great for chipping free-kicks over the wall.

I had Adidas tango balls, but not made of sponge

So many memories. Remember when I got my World Cup Edition set, with the red and blue goalnets which hung free at the back, as opposed to the standard white with the stanchions. Also had all the extras, such as the scoreboard, fencing, floodlights etc.

Only downside really was my best friend was a 'dragger', so instead of flicking at the ball , he would simply guide the player with his flat finger from any distance. Regularly lost about 8-0 but I loved it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Davefevs said:

You are right about the Adidas tango balls...lovely...in white, orange and yellow. They were my favourites to use. Still have some.

The sponge balls were just plain. But like you say, great for chipping. 

I used to love going to my local sports shop and going through all the boxes on display. The poster catalogues and reference numbers for each team.

Did anyone else use the ' Special Order' service that shops and Subbuteo offer.

Basically if the kit/team you wanted didn't exist in the catalogue, you could pay a little extra and get it painted up by Subbuteo. Or the shop would do a minimum order of 50 teams. I remember my local Sportscene had City and Rovers away kits ordered up. With the team names typed up on paper and stuck on the end of the boxes.

The form had a blank picture of a player that you coloured in and described how you wanted it painting. So ' Blue Peter' :laugh:

These 'non catalogue ' special order teams are much sought after in the collecting world.

Most kids just got some humbrol paint out and painted their own. Without knowing in later life these teams would be worthless...apart from the nostalgia.

10 hours ago, Second City Red said:

The cycle track opposite Salcombe Road?

My dad told me he used to watch "proper" speedway at the Knowle track near Wells Road?

Almost correct, the cycle speedway track was at the end of Oakdale Road off Cadogan Road with the stream between Airport Road. If you check cycle speedway in Bristol apparently national finals were held at the Airport Lions track.

Spent many nights at Knowle Stadium on a Friday night watching Bristol Bulldogs speedway team. Also a greyhound track as well and was situated between Petherton Road and Wells Road.

16 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Almost correct, the cycle speedway track was at the end of Oakdale Road off Cadogan Road with the stream between Airport Road. If you check cycle speedway in Bristol apparently national finals were held at the Airport Lions track.

Spent many nights at Knowle Stadium on a Friday night watching Bristol Bulldogs speedway team. Also a greyhound track as well and was situated between Petherton Road and Wells Road.

My Grandfather and father both attended Speedway at Knowle. They said it was very popular with good size crowds. Grandad met Laurel and Hardy there just after the war when they visited. 

Here's some action from Knowle.

• Thanks 1