IGNORED

I get knocked down - Danny Wilson

phantom

• Admin

I'm sure this will be of interest to some on here, this links to a signed copy 

9781838232962-scaled.jpg

Published on 14th October 2022 – AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW

I Get Knocked Down is the revealing autobiography of one of the most respected men in English football.

After he was released by Sunderland as a boy, Danny Wilson began his career playing non-league football for his hometown club Wigan Athletic, before working his way through the divisions to the Premier League, winning major honours along the way.

A popular character wherever he went, Danny’s journey is littered with hilarious stories of some of the game’s biggest names, including Brian Clough, Ron Atkinson, Viv Anderson, Chris Woods, Jimmy Case, Mick Harford, and Steve Foster. After a successful playing career with Bury, Chesterfield, Nottingham Forest, Scunthorpe, Brighton, Luton, and Sheffield Wednesday, Danny joined Barnsley as player- coach before eventually managing the club, taking them to the Premier League for the first time in their history.

During a twenty-five-year managerial career, Danny’s teams have won trophies, promotions, and celebrated last-gasp relegation escapes. Danny managed over a thousand games for Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, MK Dons, Hartlepool United, Swindon Town, Sheffield United, and Chesterfield.

Danny speaks candidly about his time in management, including: working with Paolo Di Canio; being attacked in the media by four MPs; managing MK Dons during their inaugural season; helping to turn a young Harry Maguire from a midfielder to a defender; and his controversial decision to manage both Sheffield clubs – Wednesday and United.

I Get Knocked Down is a truly fascinating insight into the life of a true football man

https://www.morganlawrence.co.uk/product/i-get-knocked-down-danny-wilson/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, phantom said:

I'm sure this will be of interest to some on here, this links to a signed copy 

9781838232962-scaled.jpg

Published on 14th October 2022 – AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER NOW

I Get Knocked Down is the revealing autobiography of one of the most respected men in English football.

After he was released by Sunderland as a boy, Danny Wilson began his career playing non-league football for his hometown club Wigan Athletic, before working his way through the divisions to the Premier League, winning major honours along the way.

A popular character wherever he went, Danny’s journey is littered with hilarious stories of some of the game’s biggest names, including Brian Clough, Ron Atkinson, Viv Anderson, Chris Woods, Jimmy Case, Mick Harford, and Steve Foster. After a successful playing career with Bury, Chesterfield, Nottingham Forest, Scunthorpe, Brighton, Luton, and Sheffield Wednesday, Danny joined Barnsley as player- coach before eventually managing the club, taking them to the Premier League for the first time in their history.

During a twenty-five-year managerial career, Danny’s teams have won trophies, promotions, and celebrated last-gasp relegation escapes. Danny managed over a thousand games for Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, MK Dons, Hartlepool United, Swindon Town, Sheffield United, and Chesterfield.

Danny speaks candidly about his time in management, including: working with Paolo Di Canio; being attacked in the media by four MPs; managing MK Dons during their inaugural season; helping to turn a young Harry Maguire from a midfielder to a defender; and his controversial decision to manage both Sheffield clubs – Wednesday and United.

I Get Knocked Down is a truly fascinating insight into the life of a true football man

https://www.morganlawrence.co.uk/product/i-get-knocked-down-danny-wilson/

He drinks a lager drink, he drinks a cider drink, then he picks the team ..... allegedly

• Haha 6

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be honest, during his reign, it was the team that drank a lager drink, then drank a cider drink, then drank a vodka drink...

The drinking culture in the club at that time was inexcusable, it must have had a detrimental effect on quite a few of the players careers.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yep, I made light of it, but it all got a bit out of hand. At least one player from that time required rehab.

Was his surname also a colourful bird?

Edit: I remember now. It wasn't. 

Although most of the squad could probably have benefited from it.

Edited by Superjack
Slow memory.
  • Like 1

Chapter Six: Arrival in Bristol

I was both surprised and delighted by the welcome the Bristol City fans gave me, they seemed starved of success and I really wanted to do a good job for the club. However, I was hamstrung by two main factors. Firstly, there were five off licences within half a mile of Ashton Gate which allowed LeePee and others to tank up on a regular basis. More seriously, an odd man from Nailsea kept asking me to play bowls with him. Even when I was garbage, he professed I was a “proper bowler”. It was nuts. No matter how bad I performed, he literally put his tongue up my rectum. Other bowlers bowled excellently, but he dismissed them as “conference bowlers”.

Frankly, it ruined my time in Bristol. I hope he’s found peace, because it scared me to within an inch of my life

• Haha 17

I get knocked down..... but Robbored helped me back up and kissed it better.

In all seriousness, he had money provided to him that many other clubs and managers would have loved to have had, but continually failed to deliver. Knew exactly how bad the drinking culture was around the club at the time, and in some respects was just as bad from what I heard at the time.

Should have gained promotion at least twice.

• Like 1