IGNORED

Don't doubt Nigel!

Roadrunner

If he puts four forwards on with 10 minutes to go, as i have seen on here.. Just watched a Sky football programme when he was manager at Carlisle United. With seconds to go of the season they were going out the league. He got the goalkeeper to go up for a corner. The goalkeeper name was Jimmy Glass, the rest as they say is history. Worth watching as Nigel was starting his managers career.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

One thing I don’t get is throwing on five forwards when chasing a game. Has it ever worked ? 
I remember LJ doing similar but always thought it was a bit amateurish and destabilising more for the team than the opponents. 

If a team is chasing the game then they’re already losing so what can a manager do?   

Bringing on more strikers seems an obvious option but as with any tactical/formational  moves that’ll  change the team balance and/or shape and very possibly leave the back door open but then you’re losing anyway……:dunno:

Its never an easy call.

Edited by Robbored

I think I may have told this story here before but, at the beginning of that season I was working with Frank Talia's partner she was the training officer at a Bristol hotel.

We had to go on a few training gigs together so we had a few chats on the motorway and of course what Frank was up to. There were some interesting things that came up like the fact that Swindon didn't have a professional coach, and that Frank and Jimmy had to pay for one themselves to come in a couple of times a month.

One day I asked her if Frank had ever fancied himself as an outfield player she said "no, but Jimmy does, he takes every opportunity to play up front if they are short in training". And lo, it came to pass that those training sessions came in handy. :)

• Like 1

• Admin
5 minutes ago, supercidered said:

The Jimmy Glass moment was quality. If I remember rightly though, his contract expired shortly after and didn't get renewed? I'm of a certain age so may have imagined that.

He was actually on a short term loan from Swindon at the time, he only played 3 times for Carlisle

Yeah he was released from Swindon that summer, hardly ever played again

20 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

I remember that game, but had no idea Pearson was the manager!

Exactly the same here. 

A very famous game/ending - probably known to every English football fan (that doesn't just watch the Prem on TV..!) 

Knew it was Jimmy Glass - but had no idea the NP was the manager..! 

• Like 1