IGNORED

Queens Park Rangers at home match thread

Yes the officials where very poor but really we let ourselves down silly mistakes leading to the goal and non existent midfield in first half offering no protection to the defence in the middle, we had enough good chances as well to have scored at least 3 need to be clinical like QPR were in front of goal, I liked the start good tempo for the first 15 mins before the goal knocked the stuffing out of us and we finished well after the changes were made, so not all bad but some stuff to work on before Tuesday, 

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

Can we stop all this ridiculous talk of pushing for the top six now? We are an inconsistent side that will finish around 16th.

Sixteenths may be a tad low but I’m sure that NP, and the rest of the City coaching team know that City need two or three more defensive players to be able to push for a top six place. He’s operating with the current financial constraints 

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

Wilson seems an odd one. So much hype surrounding him over the summer and supposedly he had plenty of other options than us.
Obviously early days but he has to go down as a big disappointment thus far.

It’s a bit unfair to say he’s a big disappointment as he’s hardly played 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

The tools are the ones available to buy on the available budget. If you can’t afford a Snap On spanner you may just have to buy one from Stanley or maybe pick up what ever is laying around. Metaphorically speaking. 

Of course. But the budget of any Championship club (and ours isn’t the lowest) should be able to stretch to a defensive unit that at least looks capable and organised. And the more so when the manager is someone who’s trade was a defender. Which was the point of the original post.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Sorry if it's been mentioned - too tired to trawl through the thread. But 15 out of 16 of our throw-ins I counted went backwards. A couple taken in the attacking third went back via a pass or two into our own half. It must be great defending throw ins against us.

A horribly recurring theme. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, redkev said:

Who says he hasn’t tried , perhaps there were no spirit levels left or they were out of stock .

agreed though our inability to keep a clean sheet is deffo gonna hold us back this season

Oh he’s clearly tried. And it does feel like most of our market activity has been defensively. And as I’ve said above you’d just have hoped that with a defender in charge we’d at least have managed to put together a defensive unit that looks competent and organised. 

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Wasn`t there today but I`ve just seen the goals. Is it just me or did the cross for their second pass very close in front of Bents and not at particularly high speed? It looked like he could have just bent down and picked it up,

It was probably completely different live though.

It was a really good cross in fairness. No fault of Bents imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

As much as I enjoy a dig at the ref, neither him or his assistant are going to see that. VAR might have helped if they’d had this angle, the Robins TV angles were really inconclusive.

I was in line with it so easy to see was handball but didn't everyone else in the ground shout for it as well. Seemed like it. Important decisions like that shouldn't be missed by the officials. The linesman on the Lansdown side had a shocker today not just the ref.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, RedReynard said:

I was in line with it so easy to see was handball but didn't everyone else in the ground shout for it as well. Seemed like it. Important decisions like that shouldn't be missed by the officials. The linesman on the Lansdown side had a shocker today not just the ref.

Was right by him today and completely agree.

I thought we played OK today actually and we were let down by some poor defensive frailties and poor officials.

• Like 2

I just saw  a little of the game but I noticed that the R’s keeper caught the ball often in his area . :w00t: 
Their defence were very tight.

They looked well drilled and energetic. 
We lost all momentum when Largish Nige threw on the subs . A team full of forwards is not a well balanced team, with all NP’s experience why does he do that ? 
Andi Weimann has not been in great form for 5 odd games and we have suffered. 
Just a few random thoughts . 

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Of course. But the budget of any Championship club (and ours isn’t the lowest) should be able to stretch to a defensive unit that at least looks capable and organised. And the more so when the manager is someone who’s trade was a defender. Which was the point of the original post.

Did we spend any money in the closed season. Remind me, no really I don’t remember.

Our budget for anything will be dictated by how near we are too an FFP deduction, however there maybe some closer, who knows. We did obtain Lutons player of the year for free and everyone lauded it as a brilliant signing, even the Luton fans went mad because he came here. The fact the bloke has been the biggest liability since Carl Hutchins and Klose and Kalas are Crocked is annoying but hardly Pearsons fault. He has what he has in the academy plus free signings until we sell someone, which we are all aware of. 

Vyner and Atkinson have done well, however it’s not our defensive ‘unit’ that’s the problem it’s individual errors and soft giveaways all over the pitch. Today we won no second ball particularly in the first half which they exploited time and again. Ask Weimann he knows who was responsible for their first which rattled the rest of the team so much. 

We give away soft goals and are not mentally tough enough to get over it all over the field. Thus we go two down and our senior defender looks like ass everytime the opposition get the ball. Form and confidence is Naismith’s issue. One too many touches allowing players to be closed down so he has no one to pass to! 

The one thing I would criticize is allowing to Idehen out on loan. Still form is temporary class is permanent, let’s hope one or two find form. The issue for Pearson this week is who is fit. Weimann again looked way off….injury.?…who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I just saw  a little of the game but I noticed that the R’s keeper caught the ball often in his area . :w00t: 
Their defence were very tight.

They looked well drilled and energetic. 
We lost all momentum when Largish Nige threw on the subs . A team full of forwards is not a well balanced team, with all NP’s experience why does he do that ? 
Andi Weimann has not been in great form for 5 odd games and we have suffered. 
Just a few random thoughts . 

I agree. However our delivery was way off and made it easy for their keeper who was always going to go toward the ball. I definitely agree ala Weimann 

Edited by REDOXO
11 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Did we spend any money in the closed season. Remind me, no really I don’t remember.

Our budget for anything will be dictated by how near we are too an FFP deduction, however there maybe some closer, who knows. We did obtain Lutons player of the year for free and everyone lauded it as a brilliant signing, even the Luton fans went mad because he came here. The fact the bloke has been the biggest liability since Carl Hutchins and Klose and Kalas are Crocked is annoying but hardly Pearsons fault. He has what he has in the academy plus free signings until we sell someone, which we are all aware of. 

Vyner and Atkinson have done well, however it’s not our defensive ‘unit’ that’s the problem it’s individual errors and soft giveaways all over the pitch. Today we won no second ball particularly in the first half which they exploited time and again. Ask Weimann he knows who was responsible for their first which rattled the rest of the team so much. 

We give away soft goals and are not mentally tough enough to get over it all over the field. Thus we go two down and our senior defender looks like ass everytime the opposition get the ball. Form and confidence is Naismith’s issue. One too many touches allowing players to be closed down so he has no one to pass to! 

The one thing I would criticize is allowing to Idehen out on loan. Still form is temporary class is permanent, let’s hope one or two find form. The issue for Pearson this week is who is fit. Weimann again looked way off….injury.?…who knows. 

I'm not just talking closed season: as I said Pearson has had two years now and - without checking back through every one - my recollection is that most of the changes he's made to personnel have been defensively minded.

He's brought in, for example, two right backs who both sit on the bench while a midfielder fills the right back slot. Ultimately he has to carry the can for Naismith - I don't think you can just dismiss it as being bad luck or somehow an accident that he's not performing here as he did at Luton. (I don't recall LJ or Ashton getting away with their many failed signings on the grounds that they were good at Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Oxford, City on loan, wherever, so how were we to know it would work out at City.)

I agree with the rest of your post completely. I'm not just talking back 3 by any means. By 'defensive unit' I meant much more than that. For me, our two wing backs were a big part of our problem and our frailties today. And yes defending our defence (for want of a better way of putting it) is lacking too. I'm usually one of those defending Vyner - think he's had a decent season. And yes Klose and Kalas are both huge misses. 

But the fact remains that (as was the point of the original post - which wasn't even mine!!) NP was a defender by trade and it's just frustrating that doesn't translate into a manager that stops us giving away soft goals and - all too often - looking disorganised defensively.

You're right about Idehen too - he seemed to be coming more into the picture end of last season - and doing OK - then suddenly gone. That makes us look all the more vulnerable with Klose and Kalas out - no replacements if any of the back 3 get injured or suspended. 

I don't want to appear utterly negative. On the whole this season - despite the goals conceded - we've played some great football, been good to watch, and always look like we've got a goal in us. I recognise that few clubs get both the marauding attack and the solid defence right at the same time. And I'd rather watch us than Preston! But I still feel that its reasonable to anticipate that a manager who was a defender by trade might be expected to produce a more discipline defensive side than we are!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, winsaw said:

Yes the officials where very poor but really we let ourselves down silly mistakes leading to the goal and non existent midfield in first half offering no protection to the defence in the middle, we had enough good chances as well to have scored at least 3 need to be clinical like QPR were in front of goal, I liked the start good tempo for the first 15 mins before the goal knocked the stuffing out of us and we finished well after the changes were made, so not all bad but some stuff to work on before Tuesday, 

Does the saying De Ja vu sound familiar? 

I appreciate this  is premature, but with the podcast i just listened to of the 3 Peaps `Jacki  celebration..........it seems somehow apposite?  Back in the day, we had an amazing forward line of Andy Cole and Jacki, but due to our appalling defending. and our penchant to constantly concede goals, the potentially league winning duo moved on, and the rest is history.

It just reminded me today, that we have a fantastic strike force and a wonderful midfielder in Scotty, but our defence is mostly inept, and apart from Scott our midfield is no better than average......so you would hardly blame the likes of Scott and Semenyo to look at moving on to new clubs....and the rest is history?

Hopefully my comparison is untimely and irrelevant, and our season will kick on, and things will improve, but the thought occurred to me that we are wasting some of outstanding talent due to the incompetence of  our defending ?            

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I appreciate this  is premature, but with the podcast i just listened to of the 3 Peaps `Jacki  celebration..........it seems somehow apposite?  Back in the day, we had an amazing forward line of Andy Cole and Jacki, but due to our appalling defending. and our penchant to constantly concede goals, the potentially league winning duo moved on, and the rest is history.

It just reminded me today, that we have a fantastic strike force and a wonderful midfielder in Scotty, but our defence is mostly inept, and apart from Scott our midfield is no better than average......so you would hardly blame the likes of Scott and Semenyo to look at moving on to new clubs....and the rest is history?

Hopefully my comparison is untimely and irrelevant, and our season will kick on, and things will improve, but the thought occurred to me that we are wasting some of outstanding talent due to the incompetence of  our defending ?            

A good post. Atkinson is our only natural defender i.e. he can head, tackle, hold his ground. Naismith is a midfielder masquerading as a centre back, Vyner's a trier but not up to it. Could really do with Kalas sooner than later.

Plenty of talent going forward though. Scott needs to play further up the pitch and Semenyo got us on the front foot. Wells had a good game and Conway has been a revelation. Reasons to be positive! COYR

Edited by redrum
49 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I'm not just talking closed season: as I said Pearson has had two years now and - without checking back through every one - my recollection is that most of the changes he's made to personnel have been defensively minded.

He's brought in, for example, two right backs who both sit on the bench while a midfielder fills the right back slot. Ultimately he has to carry the can for Naismith - I don't think you can just dismiss it as being bad luck or somehow an accident that he's not performing here as he did at Luton. (I don't recall LJ or Ashton getting away with their many failed signings on the grounds that they were good at Scunthorpe, Peterborough, Oxford, City on loan, wherever, so how were we to know it would work out at City.)

I agree with the rest of your post completely. I'm not just talking back 3 by any means. By 'defensive unit' I meant much more than that. For me, our two wing backs were a big part of our problem and our frailties today. And yes defending our defence (for want of a better way of putting it) is lacking too. I'm usually one of those defending Vyner - think he's had a decent season. And yes Klose and Kalas are both huge misses. 

But the fact remains that (as was the point of the original post - which wasn't even mine!!) NP was a defender by trade and it's just frustrating that doesn't translate into a manager that stops us giving away soft goals and - all too often - looking disorganised defensively.

You're right about Idehen too - he seemed to be coming more into the picture end of last season - and doing OK - then suddenly gone. That makes us look all the more vulnerable with Klose and Kalas out - no replacements if any of the back 3 get injured or suspended. 

I don't want to appear utterly negative. On the whole this season - despite the goals conceded - we've played some great football, been good to watch, and always look like we've got a goal in us. I recognise that few clubs get both the marauding attack and the solid defence right at the same time. And I'd rather watch us than Preston! But I still feel that its reasonable to anticipate that a manager who was a defender by trade might be expected to produce a more discipline defensive side than we are!

He’s brought in Atkinson Tanner and Wilson. I believe. The two former have had injury issues, but Atkinson is the first name on the sheet now. Tanner was on the bench today as was Wilson, the latter getting on. The thing they all have in common they were playing at a lower level a year or so ago two of them L2. The thought that it will not take some time to bring them through or that one or both might not make it is not that scientific, particularly as Tanner has suffered illness and Injury. 

I certainly haven’t dismissed Naismith passing being pony at times and the fact he keeps getting caught in possession as bad luck, that was your comment, but I certainly do think he is suffering with form and confidence he is getting battered, because of it. Is he having difficulty settling in or is he getting older I don’t know, but as I already said form is temporary. Even the greats have dips there. 

We are in a situation where we have to build. A year ago there was a dumb ass thread about Semenyo, he was not a striker, they score goals. He has been brought through and is almost certainly off to the World Cup. We needed Martin upfront last season now Conway has an international cap and has come through. That is what we have to do as a club. 

Klose and Kalas being unfit is an issue and we agree about Idehen, however we are a mess when we give away poor possession and concede, as I said it gets in their head way too easily, however three games ago we were looking like we could be up there and played well in two of those last three games. 

Pearson has work to do. Particularly with the subjects mentioned (individual mistakes, ability to not allow adversity to effect performance, defending as a team and confidence of Naismith) but I don’t throw around blame for stuff that occurs in football no matter what.

We are a win away from being decent and a defeat away from blaming a manager who had a fraction of some of the previous guys who had lists upon lists of failed players on massive wages and no ability. To your comment about LJ not getting away with lower league players not being good enough, LJ would keep spending money ridiculously to keep the likes of Schmodics etc etc etc out of the side. It was his thing. Ask the FFP Sadoes (sorry Dave etc you know I don’t mean it) what he spent on lower league players that he ‘upgraded’ with NOT  Lansdowns money, the clubs money, that has brought us to the FFP position we are in. The position has changed and who says Wilson and Tanner won’t be good enough. 

I like you, obviously, get a bit pissed off when Naismith buggers up repeatedly, but ultimately blaming Pearson for it is a stretch. But hey we could blame him for Conway Semenyo Weimanns 22 goals etc etc. 

We need to get the next couple of weeks out of the way while options are limited, then take a good look at the BIGGER options. In the meantime Naismith needs something like a goal or assist and yes One or two need to be held accountable for being rubbish TODAY. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RedReynard said:

In fairness everyone shouts for a penalty if a player is tackled in the box, but it doesn’t necessarily make it one.

The lino by definition would not have had a conclusive view with the keeper diving away from him towards the ball, the ref seemed to be unsighted, plus as I’d said in an earlier post the keeper was cute as he caught the ball in midair so no one had a point of reference  that might have come from where his feet were.

Clearly there would have been some in the ground like you with a much better view, especially those sitting behind the edge of the box, but the for the officials and indeed the TV cameras it was not clear. Granted it looked close though.

Edited by bexhill reds
1 hour ago, bexhill reds said:

In fairness everyone shouts for a penalty if a player is tackled in the box, but it doesn’t necessarily make it one.

The lino by definition would not have had a conclusive view with the keeper diving away from him towards the ball, the ref seemed to be unsighted, plus as I’d said in an earlier post the keeper was cute as he caught the ball in midair so no one had a point of reference  that might have come from where his feet were.

Clearly there would have been some in the ground like you with a much better view, especially those sitting behind the edge of the box, but the for the officials and indeed the TV cameras it was not clear. Granted it looked close though.

The problem is that at the moment all of these close calls seem to be going against us. The linesman in front of the Lansdown was useless. That’s why he got such an ironic cheer when he finally gave an offside decision for us after missing the one for the second goal. QPR are a decent side but just like last season at home against them, we have been up against both them and the officials, which means that we are always going to find it difficult, on top of our own defensive weaknesses.

QPR were the better side. They had plenty of pace at the back and out wide which helped to stifle any forward progress we were making.

The frustration yet again was we contributed to their win with some sloppy play and mistakes for the first goal with Weimann's blind pass.

The second goal was clearly offside and it really irks that the linesman on that side just wasn't up with game.

It shows though the level of progress we've made since last season where there's an air of disappointment in losing.

The booing of Wells by their fans made me laugh though. He was only on loan to them so had no say if he was recalled and transferred! They're such an ignorant bunch of plastic cockneys.

I thought we started ok, and had Vyner’s header gone in we might have got something from the game. 

Their first goal (yet again stemming from City giving the ball away) seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and for the rest of the first half we looked wide open. 

Second half we huffed and puffed without really stretching them and the game fizzled out. I agree that the subs seemed to hinder our momentum. 

Our passing was poor, often because we take too long and pass to players who are being closed down. We give the ball away far too much and then look vulnerable. Yesterday we struggled when they played the ball over the top. 

Disappointing performance overall  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

He’s brought in Atkinson Tanner and Wilson. I believe. The two former have had injury issues, but Atkinson is the first name on the sheet now. Tanner was on the bench today as was Wilson, the latter getting on. The thing they all have in common they were playing at a lower level a year or so ago two of them L2. The thought that it will not take some time to bring them through or that one or both might not make it is not that scientific, particularly as Tanner has suffered illness and Injury. 

I certainly haven’t dismissed Naismith passing being pony at times and the fact he keeps getting caught in possession as bad luck, that was your comment, but I certainly do think he is suffering with form and confidence he is getting battered, because of it. Is he having difficulty settling in or is he getting older I don’t know, but as I already said form is temporary. Even the greats have dips there. 

We are in a situation where we have to build. A year ago there was a dumb ass thread about Semenyo, he was not a striker, they score goals. He has been brought through and is almost certainly off to the World Cup. We needed Martin upfront last season now Conway has an international cap and has come through. That is what we have to do as a club. 

Klose and Kalas being unfit is an issue and we agree about Idehen, however we are a mess when we give away poor possession and concede, as I said it gets in their head way too easily, however three games ago we were looking like we could be up there and played well in two of those last three games. 

Pearson has work to do. Particularly with the subjects mentioned (individual mistakes, ability to not allow adversity to effect performance, defending as a team and confidence of Naismith) but I don’t throw around blame for stuff that occurs in football no matter what.

We are a win away from being decent and a defeat away from blaming a manager who had a fraction of some of the previous guys who had lists upon lists of failed players on massive wages and no ability. To your comment about LJ not getting away with lower league players not being good enough, LJ would keep spending money ridiculously to keep the likes of Schmodics etc etc etc out of the side. It was his thing. Ask the FFP Sadoes (sorry Dave etc you know I don’t mean it) what he spent on lower league players that he ‘upgraded’ with NOT  Lansdowns money, the clubs money, that has brought us to the FFP position we are in. The position has changed and who says Wilson and Tanner won’t be good enough. 

I like you, obviously, get a bit pissed off when Naismith buggers up repeatedly, but ultimately blaming Pearson for it is a stretch. But hey we could blame him for Conway Semenyo Weimanns 22 goals etc etc. 

We need to get the next couple of weeks out of the way while options are limited, then take a good look at the BIGGER options. In the meantime Naismith needs something like a goal or assist and yes One or two need to be held accountable for being rubbish TODAY. 

I’ll try to keep this brief: conscious that our respective replies get longer every time ?

1. He’s also brought in King and James (part of that bigger picture defensively you mentioned). And allowed others to leave (Moore, Cundy, Idehen). 

2. Might it not also be the case with Naismith that it’s about where we play him - centrally? That’s a tactical decision. 

3. Yes, we have to build. And all I’m suggesting is that, with a renowned defender as manager, you might have hoped that two years into that rebuild we might have as a foundation a defensive unit that didn’t have the crowd gasping with anticipation (of the wrong sort) every time we lose the ball! After the second QPR goal yesterday, when we were simply outnumbered, I watched closely and the number of times that we lost possession (which as you say happens too often) when it was 3 v 3 up front for QPR was frightening. 

4 I get pissed off when Naismith buggers up, but when he does it repeatedly I also get pissed off with Pearson for keeping playing him there. One mistake, of course you can’t blame a manager. Repeated mistakes and nothing changes and yes you can look at the manager. (But I also acknowledge the cost/benefit issue with Naismith - in the first half when one of his Cruyff like turns did come off it set up a great chance for us). And I have also acknowledged that we look a different proposition attack wise, and few managers get both at the same time.

5. I don’t know about a Naismith goal or assist. I’d be happy to just have a game where he doesn’t give the ball away in a dangerous position. 

• Like 2