IGNORED

Klopp and Trent

Davefevs

Just now, Davefevs said:

And here is the beautiful game explained.  Love this.

He could so easily have been Nige talking about Naismith in many ways.  No, I’m not saying compare Trent with Kal, but the trade off rationale is no different.

What Klopp says ought to be self evident. The rewards from TAA playing the way he does significantly outweigh the risks. As you imply, the same might be said of Naismith.

But it doesn't follow that he should be first choice for England. To make the most of his strengths you would need to set up the way Liverpool do. You only have to look at the centre backs available to England to conclude that you won't get away with playing a very high line with 2 centre backs. So I can understand Southgate's position.

• Like 14
  • Flames 2

9 minutes ago, chinapig said:

But it doesn't follow that he should be first choice for England. To make the most of his strengths you would need to set up the way Liverpool do. You only have to look at the centre backs available to England to conclude that you won't get away with playing a very high line with 2 centre backs. So I can understand Southgate's position.

Totally

In five comments OTIB goes from a thorough tactical apraisal of how Liverpool play and why Trent Alexander Arnold is integral to the way they set up.

to Joey Barton being the best manager never to win promotion from the Championship.

FWIW, Southgate has a connundrum, where for all England's supposed attacking flair, we have defenders of questionable quality. I tried really hard to watch the last England game. I just couldn't really bring myself towards it. I've no passion for the team.

KOYR.

• Like 3

I'm happy with Naismith.  Been to vital to our transformation this season.  Akin to how Webster transformed us when he joined.   I thought Rob Atkinson's appreciation of what Kal has brought to the team and to his own confidence and opportunity to carry the ball out of defence was very telling.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Pfft! Jurgen Klopp! What does he know!?

Absolutely.

He's not a "proper" manager 'cause he's never got a team promoted from the championship!

:D

Edit: I've just seen @Port Said Red earlier post saying much the same!

Edited by downendcity
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

What Klopp says ought to be self evident. The rewards from TAA playing the way he does significantly outweigh the risks. As you imply, the same might be said of Naismith.

25 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If only Southgate realised that if he wants to play 3-4-3 then James right centre back and Trent right midfield is his two best options. Both world class. 

I completely see the issue that Southgate has in central defence and that this must cause him to question TAA's defensive ability.

However, until the Germany game we've been struggling at the other end of the pitch, and I wonder how much a world class striker like Kane would benefit from TAA's ability to play killer balls ( passes and crosses) into the box from just about anywhere

As others have already said this illustrates only too well the conundrum that managers must often face over team selection.

5 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Appreciate no one has said this but one obvious difference with Naismith is he has made 5 at least...complete howlers leading to goals.

Sure trent hasn't been great but he certainly hasn't cost liverpool multiple goals. That's the difference. 

Hopefully no mistakes today !

TAA isn’t a centre back so any errors are unlikely to lead directly and instantly to a goal

He has real defensive shortcomings those have played a part in Liverpool conceding goals , just not so obvious or instant , unless you actually watch how or why a problem developed.

People need to get off Naismith back IMHO

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

Appreciate no one has said this but one obvious difference with Naismith is he has made 5 at least...complete howlers leading to goals.

Sure trent hasn't been great but he certainly hasn't cost liverpool multiple goals. That's the difference. 

Hopefully no mistakes today !

The point Klopp is making is about the overall “system”…the pros and cons, the risks and rewards.

When people focus on mistakes or just the goals conceded for example, they blinker themselves from seeing lots of the good stuff…and where that benefits in other areas.

Thats the point.

• Like 2

I thought that this was obvious? England (how Gareth wants us to play) don’t play like Liverpool. We are defensive minded and not a pressing side like Liverpool. So basically Klopp has explained exactly why TAA doesn’t start for England, as much as I disagree with it and our negative style of play. 

10 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

I thought that this was obvious? England (how Gareth wants us to play) don’t play like Liverpool. We are defensive minded and not a pressing side like Liverpool. So basically Klopp has explained exactly why TAA doesn’t start for England, as much as I disagree with it and our negative style of play. 

The point of my OP wasn’t to say TAA should be in the England team…your post is completely right - just that football is a game of compromises.  Klopp builds that into his system.