IGNORED

Parking at Birmingham

Redandproud

• Admin
21 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Can anyone advise best place to park near the stadium on Saturday 

Leave the M6 at Junction 6 and take the A38(M) (known locally as the Aston Expressway) for Birmingham City Centre. Continue past the first turn off (Aston, Waterlinks) and then take the next turn off, for the Inner Ring Road.

Turn left at the island at the top of the slip road and take the Ring Road East, signposted Coventry/Stratford. Continue along the ring road for two miles, crossing straight across three roundabouts. At the fourth roundabout (there is a large McDonalds on the far left-hand side) turn left into Coventry Road going towards Small Heath. Birmingham City’s ground is about a 1/4 of a mile up this road on your left. The ground is well signposted on the Inner Ring Road.

Car Parking

There is no parking available, except for coaches, for visiting supporters at the ground itself.  To further complicate things then the main Coventry Road leading up to the ground and the away entrance is closed one hour before kick off and then for an hour (starting 15 minutes before the end of the game) afterwards, so really is a case of trying to find some street parking. There is plenty of street parking off the left hand side of the ring road. Either around the small park at the third roundabout that you cross (by Big John’s) or along the road next to and behind the BP garage before the fourth roundabout. Bear in mind that if you arrive after 1.30pm these areas are likely to be already full. There are some local schools and firms that offer parking facilities for around £5. There is also the option of renting a private driveway near St Andrews via YourParkingSpace.co.uk.

Post Code for SAT NAV: B9 4RL

• Like 1

On the Your Parking Space website/app you can book a place in the Morrisons car park which is just over the road from the ground, only about £3.

The downside is apparently it takes ages to get out as you can only turn left for the 45 minutes after the game as the road is closed, it’s also closed an hour before the game so makes it harder to get to.

I guess if you left dead on full time and ran over you’d get away in good time but you may have to go around the houses to get to M5

Sadly, can't go to the game because of other commitments, but last time I went to St Andrews, I ducked off the M5, parked in Worcester for nuppence and got the train to Birmingham Snow Hill.  Snow Hill is about 15 minutes walk from the stadium.  If you want a faster, cheaper train journey, continue on until Kidderminster or Stourbridge. 

• Admin
34 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Sadly, can't go to the game because of other commitments, but last time I went to St Andrews, I ducked off the M5, parked in Worcester for nuppence and got the train to Birmingham Snow Hill.  Snow Hill is about 15 minutes walk from the stadium.  If you want a faster, cheaper train journey, continue on until Kidderminster or Stourbridge. 

I think you have got confused slightly, Snow Hill is at LEAST a 30 minute brisk walk to St Andrews, what you probably did was get a train to Bordesley which opens only on a Saturday match day and IS about a ten minute walk away. 

Sadly not happening this weekend due to the rail strike 

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think there’s a train strike - Good idea though and I would always advocate this route to a Birmingham based fixture - not entirely sure which companies are affected.

For future reference, Moor Street is the closer station though. It’s usually the next stop on the line after Snow Hill if you get one of those trains and is only 15 minutes walk.

This time I don’t have any helpful suggestions, it’s busy enough around the ground on a ‘normal’ match day, without local trains I’d expect more cars.

Clean air zone starts at the ring road if I remember correctly, will check and post a link.

Theres an estate behind the McDonalds by St. Andrew’s that’s ok to park in but you may struggle to get a space. That is the one that chucks out onto the road that is closed after the game.

I tend to drive out of Bham on a working day so always try and avoid the M5/M6 interchange. As long as you get to the ring road (A4540), go clockwise until you get to Five Ways roundabout and take the A456 all the way out to the M5, it’s not a pretty route out but it’s probably the most straight forward. You can also use the A435, A441 (to the M42) and A38 to join the M5 a bit further south, they’re all not too difficult to navigate once you’re following them out of the City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
Just now, Always Believesham said:

I think there’s a train strike - Good idea though and I would always advocate this route to a Birmingham based fixture - not entirely sure which companies are affected.

For future reference, Moor Street is the closer station though. It’s usually the next stop on the line after Snow Hill if you get one of those trains and is only 15 minutes walk.

As above, all out strike again this Saturday 

Bordesley is the nearest station on a match day to the ground 

18 minutes ago, phantom said:

I think you have got confused slightly, Snow Hill is at LEAST a 30 minute brisk walk to St Andrews, what you probably did was get a train to Bordesley which opens only on a Saturday match day and IS about a ten minute walk away. 

Sadly not happening this weekend due to the rail strike 

I'd not say it was 30, but maybe 15 was an underestimate. I used to work in Birmingham, so I know it well.

Forgot about the rail strike though. :facepalm:

• Like 1

My advice. Take care and/or a condom.

A few decades back was driving in from Tamworth to collect my wife from her Central Brum bank. Had our young puppy in the back of the car, who en-route into town on the A38 decided to vomit the entire contents of her tea on the back seat. 

Pulled off into an area that made St Paul’s look like Knightsbridge. 

Got out of the car and within seconds this woman had got into the passenger seat. Had a ‘conversation’ which centred on me explaining I had stopped in the area as my dog had puked. Anyhow, she wouldn’t get out of the car, so eventually we agreed that I drive her into the City Centre. Bizarre in the extreme.

My (ex) wife didn’t believe the story either!

• Haha 3

I have normally got the train to Brum but alas rail strike done that one not on. did go up in mates car when we lost 2-1 season or three back . And was a pig to park. We drove around for ages until we found a space about 20 minutes from ground. Close to a very in  hospitable pub. Which we did not go in for a drink . The smokers outside made it very clear we where not welcome. We wished them a nice day and went to the boozer just last the super market car park 

Cant go Saturday so shout loud

COYR

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
Cant type still

On 05/10/2022 at 15:54, RedRock said:

A few decades back was driving in from Tamworth to collect my wife from her Central Brum bank. Had our young puppy in the back of the car, who en-route into town on the A38 decided to vomit the entire contents of her tea on the back seat. 

Got out of the car and within seconds this woman had got into the passenger seat. Had a ‘conversation’ which centred on me explaining I had stopped in the area as my dog had puked. Anyhow, she wouldn’t get out of the car, so eventually we agreed that I drive her into the City Centre. Bizarre in the extreme.

@RedRockThat happened to me once. Must’ve been over 30 years ago.

Back then I had a snowberry white 1968 MG Midget. Beautiful beast and as my first ever car my first true love.

Anyway I was driving back from Hanham to Downend through Kingswood.

I was stopped at a junction and a young lady with a very short skirt opened the passenger door - I think it was a balmy summer evening and I might have had the roof off.

She asked if I was “going down town”. I said no and told her to get out. She refused.

One of us got taken for a very short ride. I dropped her just round the corner.

Moral of the story? Always keep your car doors locked when you drive through Kingswood…. ?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@RedRockThat happened to me once. Must’ve been over 30 years ago.

Back then I had a snowberry white 1968 MG Midget. Beautiful beast and as my first ever car my first true love.

Anyway I was driving back from Hanham to Downend through Kingswood.

I was stopped at a junction and a young lady with a very short skirt opened the passenger door - I think it was a balmy summer evening and I might have had the roof off.

She asked if I was “going down town”. I said no and told her to get out. She refused.

One of us got taken for a very short ride. I dropped her just round the corner.

Moral of the story? Always keep your car doors locked when you drive through Kingswood…. ?

At least it was a lady!

Returning back from a night shift in London in the 90s, I had some fat drunk bloke who looked like Matt Berry get into my car while I was stopped at a light at about 4am. He was under the impression I was a minicab. "Matt" wouldn't get out the car, despite me pointing out that I wasn't a cab, and kept offering me various sums to drive him to Acton. 

In the end, I did a U-ey and pulled up alongside Shepherds Bush police station, at which my passenger leapt out and ran away. As I had thought, he was so wasted he didn't realise that the station had closed a number of years before.  :laughcont:

• Haha 5

As always an educational thread.

I’m taking away from it - parking might be difficult if you leave it late but there’s every chance you’ll “accidentally” give a lift to a prostitute…….or a fat bloke.

The actual match is becoming less important by the hour, can’t wait! 

• Haha 7

On 05/10/2022 at 15:54, RedRock said:

I'm really trying to process this. Especially the second sentence. Or is "drive her into the City Centre" an euphemism that I don't know? ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Old Rascal said:

Did the same, but Asda at Bordesley Green. £3. Straightforward walk to the ground.

Went for a place south of the ground and ring road, after people saying roads are closed in the vacinity of the ground for an hour post match. Sure you'll be fine.

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Went for a place south of the ground and ring road, after people saying roads are closed in the vacinity of the ground for an hour post match. Sure you'll be fine.

Saw about the roads being closed earlier in the thread, nearly booked in Morrisons car park opposite, but we would have been stuck there for an hour!

We are about a 1km walk away, hopefully meeting up with a couple of brum mates on the way.