IGNORED

BCFC TV Commentary

pigeon

Being an expat in the US, i've used the streaming service a lot and it's come a huge way from where it began. However, one thing that drives me absolutely insane and has me hoping for it to be shown on actual TV is the incredibly biased, leading to sometimes cringeworthy, commentary. 

I get that it's the clubs provided service, but surely someone needs to tell the main guy (can't remember his name) that we can sometimes call a spade a spade. I live in the US, I get enough one-sided commentary on the news channels! 

Bonus moan - is anyone else having the commentary and stadium audio about 1 second ahead of the actual video stream? Also pretty annoying ?

Rant over. Thanks for listening. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, pigeon said:

Being an expat in the US, i've used the streaming service a lot and it's come a huge way from where it began. However, one thing that drives me absolutely insane and has me hoping for it to be shown on actual TV is the incredibly biased, leading to sometimes cringeworthy, commentary. 

I get that it's the clubs provided service, but surely someone needs to tell the main guy (can't remember his name) that we can sometimes call a spade a spade. I live in the US, I get enough one-sided commentary on the news channels! 

Bonus moan - is anyone else having the commentary and stadium audio about 1 second ahead of the actual video stream? Also pretty annoying ?

I LOVE the idea of ‘bonus moan’. That should Deffo be a ‘thing’ ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

During the lockdown (which was obviously some of the worst times personally but also footballing wise) it was North Korea esq. 

When Louis Briton scored in the final game when we were losing 4 0 they went crazy like we had won the play offs and ended the season 'on a high'.

Was quite tinpot albeit I'm sure other clubs would be just as guilty .

• Flames 1

I’ve got a magic Amazon stick so have seen a few of our home games on it and all the away ones, trust me it isn’t just our commentary team who are biased. If anything other clubs are a lot worse. The Norwich and Burnley coms was a VERY tough listen. You’d think they were watching 08 Barca playing against the town drunks.
Truth is they can’t slag the players off because they probably know them personally so find it difficult to go in too hard and also the club want to avoid any negativity.

For what it’s worth I always enjoy it more when Tins is on there as you can tell he is so invested in the players, especially the academy boys. He wasn’t bias towards them, was regularly telling Semenyo off for not getting in the box enough and letting JD and Weimann do the dog work. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, pigeon said:

Commentary was just ahead of the action so when Tins did a oooh knew it wasn’t going in. Spoilt it slightly 

• Like 1

First I have to say the commentary is much much better than it the beginning.

However , when on Saturday with city 2 down they started talking about all the goals younger age group players are banging in, it was laptop out the window time. In the end i had to watch on mute.

Mostly it's ok now.

But sometimes they really do fail to read nevermind understand the room.

Edited by The turtle

I don’t mind a commentator being biased In Our Favor. He is a supporter too I hope. 

However I do mind being told the ******* obvious and making a game more tense than it actually is. His audience is Bristol City supporters and most of them know who has done what.

I prefer the radio commentary by a million miles and if I can try and pair audio and video but it’s rarely doable. 

on the radio Owers is excellent and most of the time the commentators good and they are very pro city. 

yesterday the commentator particularly Tinman was a tad ahead of the pictures. So I just turned off the sound. I don’t listen to pre and post match stuff on the tv radio Brizz is much more entertaining, but will keep the tv on for highlight action. 

Edited by REDOXO
  • Like 1

I'll chime in here and mention Chris Honours co-comms at the Burnley game.

In general I've got a lot of time for Chris and I think his radio comms are very good, but the guy needs to realise that commentating for radio and tv are two very different things. He was literally over describing every notable move as a matter of fact, forgetting that we are watching exactly what he is describing. He needs to watch that game back and self analyse where he is going wrong.

For me, tv co-comms is a fine balance of tactics, picking out pros and cons etc. Chris seems a fairly intelligent chap, so he might already be aware.

Still better overall than most if the co-comms dross we get served up though.

I think Robins TV is actually pretty good.   Bearing in mind we are a football club not skysports.

Occasionaly I have had to watch a city game, via the opposition feed.  Which means you get the other teams commentators as well.

Compared to other teams, I think we are pretty good.

One match I watch (sorry cant remember the team) the commentators were clearly older ex players ... who had had a few liveners .. and were just chatting to each other ...putting the world to rights and taking the opportunity to settle various (decades old) scores with people at the club.   Was comedy gold

• Like 2

Toby Osborne is unrealistically optimistic.... I think we had one game where we were 3 down in the last 10 minutes and he was talking about us scoring to get back in the game.....  I mean there's optimism and there's delusion.  Mansfield away was a long time ago and rarely happens!

Co-Commentary, I can listen to Tins talk all day.  Lots of them have been really good, but Tins and Rene "Foinal turd" Gilmartin the best of the bunch so far.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Toby Osborne is unrealistically optimistic.... I think we had one game where we were 3 down in the last 10 minutes and he was talking about us scoring to get back in the game.....  I mean there's optimism and there's delusion.  Mansfield away was a long time ago and rarely happens!

Co-Commentary, I can listen to Tins talk all day.  Lots of them have been really good, but Tins and Rene "Foinal turd" Gilmartin the best of the bunch so far.

I was very hit and miss with Rene but his absolute savagery about Rooney when commentating a Derby game was worth the wages alone!

If you want a comparison to another club at our level, listen to the Swansea commentary of their recent game v Watford.

The main commentator seemed to forget he was commentating and didn't really talk about what was happening, the co-commentator must have thought he was in the stands watching it as all he did was shout "YESSSSS".

Not to mention it's in strong Welsh accents making it even harder to understand what they were on about anyway.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2022 at 21:48, pigeon said:

I know where you are coming from. City went 1 down in the first 2 minutes on Saturday only for the commentator to say “Hopefully, City fans will be singing on their way down the M5 later today”. Then we were still getting battered and he said “City will soon dominate possession”. 

Sometimes the propaganda is North Koreanesque

• Like 3

The constructive criticism given by Carey was refreshing. 

And it often underlined observations made by people on here. 

His critique of our crossing was spot on imo.

Balls floated in, that were hopeful rather than planned....as in not aiming for a particular man. Also mentioned the lack of correct movement by our front two, not looking for space, a pass, a cut back etc.

Another point he made...was our lack of energy after going one up. Then finding the energy after they'd equalised. NP also mentioned in the post match, players personal desire and drive. And questioned it 

As Carey rightly pointed out...why take your foot off the gas when only 1 up?

What he also mentioned was the excuse of fatigue in players...comparing with Prem players who play with intensity every week, both in league and champions league...and keeping intensity high every week. 

I also liked his theory of sticking your number 10 where the ref is...Ive heard this before, and watched after he said it. It's true...the ref is always in space. Players see him, and avoid him...creating space. Add that to the space created by players, he almost doubles the space... he's in so much space it's unreal. 

It was refreshing.

Just get rid of the hat indoors...

Edited by spudski
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, spudski said:

The constructive criticism given by Carey was refreshing. 

And it often underlined observations made by people on here. 

His critique of our crossing was spot on imo.

Balls floated in, that were hopeful rather than planned....as in not aiming for a particular man. Also mentioned the lack of correct movement by our front two, not looking for space, a pass, a cut back etc.

Another point he made...was our lack of energy after going one up. Then finding the energy after they'd equalised. NP also mentioned in the post match, players personal desire and drive. And questioned it 

As Carey rightly pointed out...why take your foot off the gas when only 1 up?

What he also mentioned was the excuse of fatigue in players...comparing with Prem players who play with intensity every week, both in league and champions league...and keeping intensity high every week. 

I also liked his theory of sticking your number 10 where the ref is...Ive heard this before, and watched after he said it. It's true...the ref is always in space. Players see him, and avoid him...creating space. Add that to the space created by players, he almost doubles the space... he's in so much space it's unreal. 

It was refreshing.

Just get rid of the hat indoors...

Seems that Louis got a big thumbs up from the RTV viewers last night.  It does need critique, not being too club-friendly.  Even Nige told the interviewer he was trying to too nice at the weekend.

I think the co-commentator’s job is to help explain what is going on, both good and bad.

• Like 2

On 05/10/2022 at 10:08, Negan said:

I’ve got a magic Amazon stick so have seen a few of our home games on it and all the away ones, trust me it isn’t just our commentary team who are biased. If anything other clubs are a lot worse. The Norwich and Burnley coms was a VERY tough listen. You’d think they were watching 08 Barca playing against the town drunks.
Truth is they can’t slag the players off because they probably know them personally so find it difficult to go in too hard and also the club want to avoid any negativity.

For what it’s worth I always enjoy it more when Tins is on there as you can tell he is so invested in the players, especially the academy boys. He wasn’t bias towards them, was regularly telling Semenyo off for not getting in the box enough and letting JD and Weimann do the dog work. 

I had the Birmingham one on Saturday and you would honestly believe if you weren't aware of the facts, that they were top of the division having won every game this season. 

The worst one I have heard was the Swansea game last season where the co commentator was an ex player who was hilariously bias. At one point he claimed that the reason their Manager was spending so much his time on the touchline compared to Pearson was "because we are a more tactically superior side, whereas Bristol are just here to stop us playing" (we were above them in the league at the time). When Weimann opened the scoring he said it was our first time in their half, when we had already had 3 or 4 shots on target by then. I was never more disappointed when we ****** up in the 2nd half because I was even more desperate for us to beat them because of that one-eyed ***.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Denbury Red said:

Having just watched the You Tube highlights what strikes me about the commentary and not Carey’s comments is that the commentator is so behind with his reaction to a goal!  There’s little emotion and excitement!  Is he like Downsey - another rugby fan working in football?

Have to say 

Last night was the first time i noticed a delay between commentary and actions 

For two goals , was clear to hear the fans cheering before the ball was in the net, shot taken.

I've never heard that before ...

But it happened noticeably for two goals last night. 

It's as though sometimes it's not 100% in sync . Talking a second or so.