IGNORED

Richard Gould

Hamdon Mart

Just now, Harry said:

This would have nothing to do with FFP Pops. 
It’s simply an opportunity to work as the top man in his favoured sport. 
England cricket or Bristol City. It’s not a tough choice to be fair. 

Well yes, although favoured sport is he more of a cricket man then? Son of Bobby Gould after all.

Doubt he'll be at the Fans Forum on Thursday night now.

8 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems to have done a good job but CEOs tend to move around a bit so not a huge surprise, especially with that job in cricket being available.  I’m sure we have been sounding out replacements for a while. It’s not as if Lansdown wouldn’t have known what was going on 

Well, he let Ashton set things up at Ipswich while simultaneously screwing us up. He must be the only owner to effectively pay somebody to work for another club.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He was at Surrey CCC for 10 years so yes.

And Somerset before that.

It's a blow to us, but one that I think the club would have known was always a possibility when they appointed him, so hopefully there has been at least some degree of planning. And I don't think Gould would be anything other than a consummate professional whilst serving his notice period.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Son of Bobby Gould although fathers don't always follow sons.

Will make the Fans Forum on Thursday night a bit more interesting!

Being CEO of Surrey is like being CEO of Man Utd. Being CEO of Bristol City is like being CEO of ..... Bristol City.?

He was also at Somerset for 5 years of course so cricket has been the bulk of his career after leaving the Army.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

Being CEO of Surrey is like being CEO of Man Utd. Being CEO of Bristol City is like being CEO of ..... Bristol City.?

He was also at Somerset for 5 years of course so cricket has been the bulk of his career after leaving the Army.

This is true! They are by far the biggest County and that position at cricket's Governing body for the new role..

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He’s a clever man so realises cricket is the best sport in the world!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Port Red said:

If I was SL I would be picking up the phone to see what Richard Scudamore is up to.

I am not so sure, there are elements to his character that are similar to Mark Ashton, he likes to be in the thick of things and in front of the camera. 

He also has some odd ideas, I won't forget him trying to add overseas games to the Premier League calendar for example. 

It would depend whether SL feels that Gould has steadied things enough for us to get back on the front foot a bit more.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not so sure, there are elements to his character that are similar to Mark Ashton, he likes to be in the thick of things and in front of the camera. 

He also has some odd ideas, I won't forget him trying to add overseas games to the Premier League calendar for example. 

It would depend whether SL feels that Gould has steadied things enough for us to get back on the front foot a bit more.

I know exactly what you mean, but there are reasons and not all self interest.
The European game had been suggested before and (from memory) wasn't lead by him. In his position he had to investigate ways of expanding the brand ( :facepalm: ). 

On the plus side.
He's a fan of the club.
He is financially secure .
He has masses of experience.
He would be known to SL.
He has a lot of contacts.

I think it could be a reasonable shout, if only short term. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 1960maaan said:

The European game had been suggested before and (from memory) wasn't lead by him. In his position he had to investigate ways of expanding the brand ( :facepalm: ). 

On the plus side.
He's a fan of the club.
He would be known to SL.

Your last point was one I made when he was suggested before with SL looking for investment it could be a good move for him. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I suppose one of the positives to come out of this is that RG has been a vehement and outspoken of The 100; every cloud and all that.

And he will shortly be paid enough to be able to say how great it is, much like his former boss at Surrey, soon to be his new boss at the ECB.

34 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

On the plus side.
He's a fan of the club.
He would be known to SL.

Listen to his recent interview on The Athletic Football podcast.

He is dead set against any meaningful reform of football finance, which in theory should put him at odds with SL.

His bottom line was that club owners should be allowed to spend as much as they want, mentioning SL as an example. Which of course has worked so well before. Oh, hang on ....

Part of me thinks he was hired to see us through the tough period. To describe it like a mercenary. There is a tough job I need you to get done. It is short term. Let us know exactly where we are with ffp then do everything possible to get us to comply and if you don’t sell our best assets even better. 

The hiring seemed odd at the time. So for me never felt long term. That is fine btw. Think now we have started this season should only get easier from here. You could say it is a good opportunity to get a true football man in the position now and we have 7 months to do so. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Listen to his recent interview on The Athletic Football podcast.

He is dead set against any meaningful reform of football finance, which in theory should put him at odds with SL.

His bottom line was that club owners should be allowed to spend as much as they want, mentioning SL as an example. Which of course has worked so well before. Oh, hang on ....

I don't know his reasoning but I tend to think if they are not going to do anything about parachute payments then every club that doesn't recieve parachute payments should be allowed to spend up to the parachute payment figure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I don't know his reasoning but I tend to think if they are not going to do anything about parachute payments then every club that doesn't recieve parachute payments should be allowed to spend up to the parachute payment figure. 

Or. This flies in the face of stability to an extent.

Another regulatory solution might be to exclude from P&S, the gap between solidarity Payments and Parachute Payments. Cash flow not revenue kinda thing.

Would need some extra work in practice, but there is your starting point. Club coming down no longer has a £35-40m and it maybe more now, head start on TV revenue in that year.

Put another way, both Parachute and Solidarity money originate from the PL.

Or another one could be to pool Parachute and Solidarity money and split it evenly among the 24- granted sometimes and once in a blue moon a club will be relegated again while in receipt of Parachute Payments such as Sunderland in 2018- not sure you how you go about that particular scenario but in general I like the idea of putting Parachute and Championship Solidarity money in a big pot and then splitting evenly.

Right now it's:

Regular Championship club- Championship TV money + Solidarity Payments

Club Relegated to Championship- Championship TV money + Parachute Payments

Whereas my system might look like:

Relegated or regular

Championship TV money + flat, equal average of Championship Parachute + Solidarity Payments.

That's my starting point anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

14 hours ago, Harry said:

Any chance of copy pasting this for those of us who don’t subscribe to the paper please 

If you hit a paywall that you don’t want to pay for, use 12ft Ladder:

http://12ft.io

Almost every page that’s behind a paywall has a hidden version that isn’t. It’s so Google can still find it. 12ft Ladder pulls up the hidden version that isn’t behind the paywall.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A cynic wonders if he is grasping at  the closest fire pole and sliding down it as fast as possible as the FFP problems are coming at us and quick.

One theory is that in this area, he has done all he can and has made key improvements, but the EFL aren't budging on some points that might be necessary for us.

Fortunately I'm no cynic but some may wonder.

Cynically you are making out Gould has the traits of Mark Ashton and neither could be further apart!!

3 hours ago, Port Red said:

If I was SL I would be picking up the phone to see what Richard Scudamore is up to.

Believe that Pearson’s preference at the time RG was appointed was Adrian Bevington.

As big a blow as it will be if / when Gould goes, as per player sales it’s about how you replace them.

I wonder if there are any in-house that could fill in temporarily, e.g. Kelly, Marshall, Griffiths????

• Like 2

That's a fair point well made tbh @Davefevs they are very very different. Bit of an emotive reaction by me all told, yeah we knew this was possible but still a blow.

He's done good work here, major opportunity. Shame he couldn't see out what he started but I also get it.

I wish him well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1