IGNORED

Klose

GrahamC

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How did he not get a yellow for the foul that led to the free-kick they scored from?  Weimann got it instead.

He played really well today.  Glad to see him back fit.  Ice bath no doubt tonight.

Think it was because Weimann booted the ball away, our mate Mr Stroud liked booking us for doing that but not PNE!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely brilliant tonight, boy have we missed him.

Won everything in the air, calm on the deck.

Class act.

You're completely right Graham.

The most impressive point for me, was when we scored the 2nd goal, and there was still 7 mins of injury time to go.

Klose got all the players together personally, and you could see he was drilling them on the importance of game management for those minutes. He is a true leader on the pitch, who leads by example. Cue a perfect running down of the clock by the team.

It's a bit if a mystery to me why he's not the captain out there. With the greatest respect, he's got to be a best choice than Weimann last night.

As for Naisimith coming back now. I would consider putting him CM alongside Scott (who was also excellent last night). He's too left footed to cover Vyner (who was good as well), that'll have to wait for Kalas i think.

You could move Klose to RCB, but i think his best position is down the middle as the pivot point of the back 3. In that position he's able support both Vyner, and Atkinson.

Edited by NcnsBcfc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NcnsBcfc said:

It's a bit if a mystery to me why he's not the captain out there. With the greatest respect, he's got to be a best choice than Weimann last night.

As for Naisimith coming back now. I would consider putting him CM alongside Scott (who was also excellent last night). He's too left footed to cover Vyner (who was good as well), that'll have to wait for Kalas i think.

Yes, he was class act last season, and surprised not had more minutes this season.  There have been  posts on OTIB suggesting with personnel issues and new  family arrival matters that he might not be here long.  I hope that’s way off the mark.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I didn't see it because I was too busy celebrating, but a few people around me, including @Loosey Boy pointed out how Klose got the players into a huddle in front of Section 82 and was giving them a pep talk.

A good example of his experience showing through.

He did, he got all the back five (Sykes, Dasilva, Vyner, Atkinson) in a huddle & it was obvious that he was the only one talking, telling them to focus, get switched on for the lengthy spell of injury time that was to come.

Exactly the sort of leadership we need, shows how much he wants to win, too.

I echo everyone's comments on Klose. It's good to have him back.

Is there now a case for pushing Naismith into midield and using Atkinson, Klose and Vyner as our back 3?

In doing that are you moving to a solidified defence but also getting Naismith's ability to start attacks? Also if Naismith makes an error in possession in midfield then there's an extra layer of defensive cover to protect. You also get Naismith's dead ball ability. What do you lose? 

If Massengo is truly bombed out then perhaps it's even necessary to get Naismith into the midfield rotation? James, Williams, Naismith, Scott, Weimann and King to cover the two central midfield roles and the attacking midfield role. Seems like a decent group.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, NcnsBcfc said:

You're completely right Graham.

The most impressive point for me, was when we scored the 2nd goal, and there was still 7 mins of injury time to go.

Klose got all the players together personally, and you could see he was drilling them on the importance of game management for those minutes. He is a true leader on the pitch, who leads by example. Cue a perfect running down of the clock by the team.

You could move Klose to RCB, but i think his best position is down the middle as the pivot point of the back 3. In that position he's able support both Vyner, and Atkinson.

Captain materiel.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Cityboy1954 said:

Captain materiel.

Nige certainly has plenty of respect for Klose both as a player and as a man who has a positive  influence within the squad. Nige trusts him with his awareness of his own fitness.

That said we know that TK has had personal issues to deal with and maybe he doesn’t want the added responsibility of the captaincy.

2 hours ago, Mad Cyril said:

Poor old Rob Atkinson.... Scores two goals, doesn't get MOTM, doesn't even get best defender....

Well done Timm

I can't NOT make Atko my MOTM. Two goals and a very decent defensive display.

Without the goals, it could only be Klose. The guy to steady the ship that we desperately needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree Dave but is he mobile enough in that RCB spot to not get exposed 

He was fine at LCB3 last season (before moving centrally).  I was surprised how he didn’t let himself get exposed in wide areas.  Experience, anticipation, reading the game!

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Is there now a case for pushing Naismith into midield and using Atkinson, Klose and Vyner as our back 3?

In doing that are you moving to a solidified defence but also getting Naismith's ability to start attacks? Also if Naismith makes an error in possession in midfield then there's an extra layer of defensive cover to protect. You also get Naismith's dead ball ability. What do you lose? 

If Massengo is truly bombed out then perhaps it's even necessary to get Naismith into the midfield rotation? James, Williams, Naismith, Scott, Weimann and King to cover the two central midfield roles and the attacking midfield role. Seems like a decent group.

The big question will be (until we actually see it) is can you get the ball to him.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I know a lot are saying this but I just don’t see it.

Naismith was our one significant signing of the summer, the only one from the Championship, player of the season in a side that made the playoffs.

He is fundamental to how NP wants us to play & I doubt very much we will move him into a position he hasn’t played for a few years now.

Also worth bearing in mind the futures of Kalas, Klose & Vyner are by no means certain, all are out of contract in the summer, bluntly we can’t afford Kalas’ wages, Klose has strongly indicated this will be his last season as a player & Vyner is still looking to prove he’s worth another deal.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He was fine at LCB3 last season (before moving centrally).  I was surprised how he didn’t let himself get exposed in wide areas.  Experience, anticipation, reading the game!

The big question will be (until we actually see it) is can you get the ball to him.

I think one of the big plusses for Naismith is his crossing, and overall set piece play.

I think he is a player that you would want on the pitch for those benefits. The questions have come really from the defensive lapses, that in my opinion have come around from him sometimes switching off, in a way demonstrating the fact that he is not a "natural" defender, more of a converted one (albeit in the Championship team of the season last year for precisely that position).