IGNORED

Semenyo

real_bristol

A little surprised he hasn’t got his own thread after Tuesday’s game, so thought I’d start one.

Thought he was excellent, whether it was a tactical decision or not he was pressing well for most if not all of the game. Was a real handful against the best defence in the league. The cunning Cunningham could not deal with him which was enjoyable to watch. If I had to pick faults it would be that he spends a little too much time on the ball and takes a player on rather than pass, but I wouldn’t want to discourage him from taking them on. At times yesterday Preston looked shit scared of him, and again, every time he picked up the ball I thought something was going to happen. He’s a joy to watch this lad and dare I say it, ol’ Tony is almost back to his best. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

A little surprised he hasn’t got his own thread after Tuesday’s game, so thought I’d start one.

Thought he was excellent, whether it was a tactical decision or not he was pressing well for most if not all of the game. Was a real handful against the best defence in the league. The cunning Cunningham could not deal with him which was enjoyable to watch. If I had to pick faults it would be that he spends a little too much time on the ball and takes a player on rather than pass, but I wouldn’t want to discourage him from taking them on. At times yesterday Preston looked shit scared of him, and again, every time he picked up the ball I thought something was going to happen. He’s a joy to watch this lad and dare I say it, ol’ Tony is almost back to his best. 

I thought first half he was poor as was Conway but 2nd half he was superb and back to the real Antoine.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, real_bristol said:

Semenyo’s strengths are his pace and power. He can skin virtually any defenders with his pace and any defender will tell you that the most difficult ability to cope with is lightening pace.

To me his best position is CF. He’s built like weightlifter and can and does bully defenders with his power. He can leap like a salmon and his presence can create chaos in the opposition box.

However, Conway and Wells have a good understanding and as yet AS hasn’t had the opportunity to forge a partnership with anyone. That might be why he’s not been getting regular starts…….who knows? 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I thought first half he was poor as was Conway but 2nd half he was superb and back to the real Antoine.

Did you not notice the amount of pressing that all three at the front did in the first half?

It's not only about scoring goals. Keeping the ball away from our defence is an essential part of the forwards work. It doesn't matter who ultimately scored the goals as their defenders seemed to be slow and tired in the second half from chasing after them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

Did you not notice the amount of pressing that all three at the front did in the first half?

It's not only about scoring goals. Keeping the ball away from our defence is an essential part of the forwards work. It doesn't matter who ultimately scored the goals as their defenders seemed to be slow and tired in the second half from chasing after them.

Neither could keep the ball though in the first half.

27 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Semenyo’s strengths are his pace and power. He can skin virtually any defenders with his pace and any defender will tell you that the most difficult ability to cope with is lightening pace.

To me his best position is CF. He’s built like weightlifter and can and does bully defenders with his power. He can leap like a salmon and his presence can create chaos in the opposition box.

However, Conway and Wells have a good understanding and as yet AS hasn’t had the opportunity to forge a partnership with anyone. That might be why he’s not been getting regular starts…….who knows? 

Isn't it because he's had a series of injuries and we are trying to ease him in to help him stay fit?

• Like 1

I thought his work rate was excellent in the first half but too often his touch was poor (as were others) and we conceded possession too easily. Often we played it around the back before we seemed to run out of patience and hoof it up the middle towards Semenyo or Conway and little stuck with either. The headers he won mostly went harmlessly back towards the Preston defenders.

In the second half we started hitting balls over the top rather than at him so Semenyo could chase and force errors and take people on. That led to the couple of chances that he unfortunately spurned but did largely create himself. With him running from deep rather than jumping with his back to goal it helped us to pressure their defence which had looked much more comfortable in the first half. 

Love the way he can lean into a defender on a high ball and push them aside then get the ball down and drive at goal, only one in our squad who can do that consistently, much prefer him dropping into wide areas and getting 1v1, he did that more second half last night and looked back to his best.

Conway needs to be the man in the middle and ready in between the posts and Weimann needs to finds the gaps those two leave, seems like Weimann is a yard off those spaces the last couple games and his influence has dwindled. 

That's the risk we take with Weimann being the third midfield man and the third forward player in one position, it leaves us open in the middle if he's not back helping defensively and if he's not in the right gaps to get the ball on the attack then it can fall apart pretty easily, but like we've seen at the start of the season when it all ticks it excels and we can rip teams apart.

2 hours ago, real_bristol said:

He’s a class act and has come a long way since he came back in last Season.

Pearson has polished the gem ? 

Edited by Logical-City

56 minutes ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Love the way he can lean into a defender on a high ball and push them aside then get the ball down and drive at goal, only one in our squad who can do that consistently, much prefer him dropping into wide areas and getting 1v1, he did that more second half last night and looked back to his best.

Conway needs to be the man in the middle and ready in between the posts and Weimann needs to finds the gaps those two leave, seems like Weimann is a yard off those spaces the last couple games and his influence has dwindled. 

That's the risk we take with Weimann being the third midfield man and the third forward player in one position, it leaves us open in the middle if he's not back helping defensively and if he's not in the right gaps to get the ball on the attack then it can fall apart pretty easily, but like we've seen at the start of the season when it all ticks it excels and we can rip teams apart.

Hence why he has to play as a centre forward….so that he can make runs in-to-out on either side.  If you play him as a side forward you lose 50% of the opportunities to do that.

42 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Could be but even before his injury wasn’t a regular starter. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

39 minutes ago, Bob Turnip said:

Yes he was.

Agree.

me - “Siri, show me a regular starter”

Siri - “Antoine Semenyo, Bristol City and Ghana, is a regular starter”

26CA33CA-D217-4557-B27B-8D3ECD008FD1.thumb.jpeg.8259073da6ded0eab523f6f6f1372d84.jpeg

He started every game once he came back from injury last season, starting with the win at home to Derby.  He hurt his shin v West Brom late-on, missed Bournemouth, bench v Peterborough, then started again.