IGNORED

Ashley Williams charged by FA with improper conduct at son’s under-12s match

soultrader

Having managed youth level (girls in fact) the last thing anyone wants is some idiot who certainly should know better getting physical with people who are unpaid volunteers.

I stopped refereeing youth matches due to the totally unacceptable attitude of the players' parents / relatives towards anyone who officiated (including running the line). 

I quite liked Williams as a player apart from the last few matches when he was clearly past it but he surely cannot be involved as a pundit in future if the accusations are true. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

Having managed youth level (girls in fact) the last thing anyone wants is some idiot who certainly should know better getting physical with people who are unpaid volunteers.

I stopped refereeing youth matches due to the totally unacceptable attitude of the players' parents / relatives towards anyone who officiated (including running the line). 

I quite liked Williams as a player apart from the last few matches when he was clearly past it but he surely cannot be involved as a pundit in future if the accusations are true. 

If the accusations are true that he was assaulted don’t you think he has the right to defend himself? If someone assaulted you would you let them punch the crap out of you?

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nongazeuse said:

We had an incident at under 8 level recently with an angry parent.  Under 8 for heaven’s sake!  It’s non-competitive, no offsides, all kids get game time, but someone still lost it.  You couldn’t make it up.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Having ran the line as a volunteering parent at youth team level I've endured abuse in the form of threatening behaviour and being accused of cheating. Mostly by parents who use the opportunity to play their own frustrated football career through their child. The same people are never first in line & always shy away from the job when asked by the referee. I used to take it in turns with a fellow Dad & run the line for one half & watch for the other half.   

I once asked a coach what is the worst part of being a youth team coach and they said it wasn't the children, it was the abuse from parents who had higher expectations for their child.

Without referees and the army of parent volunteers there would be no youth team football. 

• Like 5

On 13/10/2022 at 17:02, Nongazeuse said:

Who knows about Williams, however many years ago I stopped officiating kids games over 12. The parents and various people associated were effectively teaching their kids to abuse officials and the FA and league hierarchy would not come down on some of the nutbaggery to any extent that would act as deterrent. 

Refereeing adult games was/isso much simpler!

On 13/10/2022 at 17:02, Nongazeuse said:

10 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

If the accusations are true that he was assaulted don’t you think he has the right to defend himself? If someone assaulted you would you let them punch the crap out of you?

No one knows what is true unless you were in close proximity and even then my own personal knowledge of these situations is people will stand up for whoever was the bloke with their team. However the thrust of the post is games at this level are a nightmare to officiate. I more than suspect the FA have charged Williams on the basis of the referees report!!!! Would love to see it!

13 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We had an incident at under 8 level recently with an angry parent.  Under 8 for heaven’s sake!  It’s non-competitive, no offsides, all kids get game time, but someone still lost it.  You couldn’t make it up.

Being involved with youth football for a long time, I’ve seen some embarrassing incidents. You’d think people would be happy to watch their kids play and enjoy the sport but clearly they take it further than that!

Edited by Charlie BCFC
  • Like 1

Watched my boy a few weeks ago, the linesman, who was a coach for the other team started heckling the ref about offsides down the other end of the oitch that he didnt agree with…. Ref was only about 16 and was doing a good job,, so i called him out on it,, then he complained to the ref that someone in the crowd was back chatting him as linesman.. absolute meat head.

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Watched my boy a few weeks ago, the linesman, who was a coach for the other team started heckling the ref about offsides down the other end of the oitch that he didnt agree with…. Ref was only about 16 and was doing a good job,, so i called him out on it,, then he complained to the ref that someone in the crowd was back chatting him as linesman.. absolute meat head.

When I watch my 11 year old grandson play all I focus on is him (and his team mates) showing them possitivity & support.

As for anyone that needs to be involved in machoistic sabre rattling at a boys/girls football match it's pathetic.

I wonder what chance in life some of the kids actually have with this as an example.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

When I watch my 11 year old grandson play all I focus on is him (and his team mates) showing them possitivity & support.

As for anyone that needs to be involved in machoistic sabre rattling at a boys/girls football match it's pathetic.

I wonder what chance in life some of the kids actually have with this as an example.

For the brief period my son played at kids level gave every lad on the pitch encouragement never criticism or calling out the ref. Couldn't see much wrong with that. Although the near 40 years I played "men's" football was a different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2022 at 13:50, Swede said:

Having ran the line as a volunteering parent at youth team level I've endured abuse in the form of threatening behaviour and being accused of cheating. Mostly by parents who use the opportunity to play their own frustrated football career through their child. The same people are never first in line & always shy away from the job when asked by the referee. I used to take it in turns with a fellow Dad & run the line for one half & watch for the other half.   

I once asked a coach what is the worst part of being a youth team coach and they said it wasn't the children, it was the abuse from parents who had higher expectations for their child.

Without referees and the army of parent volunteers there would be no youth team football. 

The Avon youth league has cancelled all U16 games across all divisions this Sunday due to poor behaviour including parents threatening players on the pitch. 

On 24/10/2022 at 19:44, Cowshed said:

The Avon youth league has cancelled all U16 games across all divisions this Sunday due to poor behaviour including parents threatening players on the pitch. 

This seems to have become a common occurrence around the country.

Referee associations are pulling their referees out in some youth leagues on some weekends, due to the ever increasing violence against them.

Sad times.

18 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

This seems to have become a common occurrence around the country.

Referee associations are pulling their referees out in some youth leagues on some weekends, due to the ever increasing violence against them.

Sad times.

At the risk of passing the buck or getting too political, I don't think it has much to do with football. I think it's very stressed people, under a lot of financial pressure finding an outlet for that stress.

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

At the risk of passing the buck or getting too political, I don't think it has much to do with football. I think it's very stressed people, under a lot of financial pressure finding an outlet for that stress.

There were abusers abusing children, and that is what these people are abusing children prior to covid, or a changing economy. The game was already losing thousands more refs than it recruited due to abuse and poor behaviour. Its been an increasing wide ranging problem for years. 

Politically we are ignoring it. Politically we dont ignore the abuse of pro players who are a tiny minority versus the long standing phenom nationally in grass roots football.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Thanks 2

I just wish, as part of training to be a footballer, every player had an opportunity to referee a match. I think that would change some attitudes.

I’ve referee’d twice. One a College match, the other on the Downs. Horrible experiences primarily because of whinging, cheating players. Total lack of respect to  officials/authority. 

Why football hasn’t adopted the rugby code for player relationship with referees is beyond me.

For me, part societal, part football’s inability to get its own house in order. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, RedRock said:

I just wish, as part of training to be a footballer, every player had an opportunity to referee a match. I think that would change some attitudes.

I’ve referee’d twice. One a College match, the other on the Downs. Horrible experiences primarily because of whinging, cheating players. Total lack of respect to  officials/authority. 

Why football hasn’t adopted the rugby code for player relationship with referees is beyond me.

For me, part societal, part football’s inability to get its own house in order. 

Spot on. Not just refereeing a game, I think all players ( and spectators!!!) should be forced to learn the laws of the game!.

I find it incredible that thousand/millions who watch football don’t actually know the laws of the game they pay to watch.

I can remember a City game 5-6 years ago where an opposition player kneed/thighed the ball back to his keeper and the Ashton Gate crowd screamed for a back pass free kick.

It was hilarious watching thousands of blokes losing their shit…. none of them knew the back pass law!!.