T20 World Cup

Lanterne Rouge

Fantastic lads 

What a great final ,performance and enthralling watch

Every single player involved made a contribution through the tournament 

Jos, Adil , Curran , all turned in top notch contributions today 

ohhh ...and .....

50 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Alright alright. This thread hasn’t been particularly spectacular for me given that

48 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Stokes doubters are silent! 

And I was with you Fordy ! , based on his generally unspectacular moments in England T20

Proved what completely ridiculous thoughts those were by turning up , quelle surprise , in those big moments - awesome , in its fight, skill and amazing concentration and focus

He steps up about 3 or 4 gears in those moments with his focus and drive and use of ability - it really is incredible

If only we could produce footballers who could regularly deliver at crucial moments and actually improve to World Class + when the tough and vital challenges are on 

Soecial mention for Jos for me , some brilliant captaincy , keeping (Turned into a very very good keeper) and his sublime batting , counter attacking and setting the tone 

Ice cool in all his skills and some of the best wrists I’ve ever seen in a right handed batsman

For me he’s stunning to watch bat , and it will be a sad day when he’s no longer playing

• Flames 1

Tend to think that having lots of all rounders is a dangerous game, as can risk folk feeling, unconsciously at least, that there’s always someone to cover for them, so become complacent. But in white ball cricket, England have players who are top quality at their main reason for being in the side and then pretty good at other things as well, so works well. 10 first class centuries batting at 11 shows the depth. Stokes has become an issue for opponents in pressure situations, as they know he’s very likely to find a way. Hugely impressed with Curran and Rashid in particular, wouldn’t have fancied chasing much more against the Pakistan attack. And others have said, Buttler’s captaincy, together with setting the tone with his batting and much improved keeping, brilliant. 

It was really nice to see , at the trophy presentation that there was no champagne being sprayed everywhere in some sort of extravagant water-pistol fight

It allowed Moheen and Adil to share and enjoy the trophy lifting and after fun, where they often have to miss a chunk of it

I would guess that someone from England requested it that way , or somebody had thought of it

Good stuff 

Edited by Sheltons Army

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

It was really nice to see , at the trophy presentation that there was no champagne being sprayed everywhere in some sort of extravagant water-pistol fight

It allowed Moheen and Adil to share and enjoy the trophy lifting and after fun, where they often have to miss a chunk of it

I would guess that someone from England requested it that way , or somebody had thought of it

Good stuff 

They did it in 2019 as well, England celebrated as a team first and then Mo and Adil ducked out before a champagne celebration

25 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

They did it in 2019 as well, England celebrated as a team first and then Mo and Adil ducked out before a champagne celebration

My memory of that was after lifting the trophy , the champagne blasts started pretty quickly after , and they had to run for cover (May be wrong and another occasion but how I recalled it)

This time no champagne on stage and Adil could enjoy his funny little dance etc ! and both could spend a few minutes joining in , in the middle of the group

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

My memory of that was after lifting the trophy , the champagne blasts started pretty quickly after , and they had to run for cover (May be wrong and another occasion but how I recalled it)

This time no champagne on stage and Adil could enjoy his funny little dance etc ! and both could spend a few minutes joining in , in the middle of the group

Ah my memory was there were at least a couple of minutes between initial celebration and champagne and wasn't a case of Adil and Mo running for cover.

• Robin 1

5 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

I remember seeing an interview with Moeen a little while ago where he said that the rest of the team are a lot more mindful about it than they used to be, mainly through them all talking to each other about it and having a greater understanding of what their faith involves.

He also mentioned how, during the summer, Jonny Bairstow had organised a barbecue for the squad at his house before a game, Moeen, Adil Rashid and Saqib Mahmood had planned to go for a bit just to show their faces and then go somewhere else for something to eat, assuming that there wouldn't be anything suitable there for them. A few days before it, Bairstow took him to one side and told him that he was ordering the meat in from a halal butcher because he wanted them to be there and be able to enjoy themselves as part of the team without having to worry about what they were eating.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

15 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Ah my memory was there were at least a couple of minutes between initial celebration and champagne and wasn't a case of Adil and Mo running for cover.

Here you go.... was actually quite funny 

On 14/11/2022 at 16:07, TonyTonyTony said:

Essentially why Stokes retired from T50. You cant play all three forms. Test match series begins in Pakistan in December - that will be a cracker

That's the crazy part, if the next game was Pakistan then at least you have just over 2 weeks to get over there and prep but straight from a 50 over series in Aus to Pakistan with little adaption time is mad for any players who have to play in all 3 formats

And this is why a series starting 4 days after a scheduled Final was stupid. But as the Barmy army tweet says ‘don’t the Aussies look well rested after their 2 weeks off’ 

?

Am I the only one thinking with a World Cup in India on the horizon that root should be in contention? 

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

And this is why a series starting 4 days after a scheduled Final was stupid. But as the Barmy army tweet says ‘don’t the Aussies look well rested after their 2 weeks off’ 

?

Am I the only one thinking with a World Cup in India on the horizon that root should be in contention? 

He is, and played during the summer. They just haven't picked anyone who'll be going to Pakistan with the Test squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lrrr said:

?

I wonder if they would pick Root and Malan in the same side though. They haven’t done it very often, this is Malan’s 10th ODI I think.  The World Cup team will certainly look a bit different from this, especially the bowling. 

It’s incredibly bad scheduling but bad scheduling is what cricket does well 

27 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

He is, and played during the summer. They just haven't picked anyone who'll be going to Pakistan with the Test squad.

I hadn’t clocked that at stupid o’clock, good point. I think I’d still look at Malan and Root as an option though. Two players with the ability to tick the run rate over especially against spin