IGNORED

So, that second goal…

Silvio Dante

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't think he can be faulted for much today, so I'd say he would start.

I'd be looking further up the pitch for possible swaps. 
I would have Pring in, but that may be a stretch, Weimann & Conway are the ones I think are at risk.

I genuinely have no idea re Tuesday.

Klose must be a doubt after his head injury, asking Kalas to start games after a few days training after being out for 7 months is a huge stretch, Williams doesn’t normally start 2 consecutive games, let alone 3 of them, are Naismith or James possibles? 

Not a clue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Have just seen the 2nd goal again on ITV highlights.... O'Leary is totally  100% culpable for it.  Ridiculous stupid run to the edge of the box, when all he had to do was stay on his line.  2nd game in.........and he has already phecked up.  He will never make it as 1st choice keeper ...which is a shame . 

That's incredibly harsh.

Bentley's gets pelters on here for sticking to his line. We can debate this point all day, but when a defender is given a clear concise call by the keeper, it doesn't matter where in the box it is - Max will only ever call if he's certain of the claim.

Its basic communication - something Bents never does when punching, for example, ever. He never gives a shout.

If O'Leary doesn't call then fair enough, his mistake, but he's given an early clear shout (and definitely loud enough).

I can't criticise a keeper who has communicated effectively and is attempting to command his area in a game when we're losing the aerial battle. Doesn't matter just because it's on the edge of the box. You listen to the call. Its basics.

Again biased as a keeper, but that's just my view.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

You obviously didn’t hear Twentyman’s view , as an ex centre half

Good for him. I agree with him if their was a Millwall player challenging 

There wasn't.

If that's Klose in place of Kalas, it's an easy claim, or he shouts back 'Away' telling Max he's dealing.

Said it once before and again - Kalas doesn't communicate.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

I thought at the time  Kalas was already committed to the jump when Max shouted. 

For me Kalas jumped after the call instead of blocking the opposition.  Although after watching the highlights, I’m surprised Max tried to catch it.  Like the 1st goal poor reaction on the second phase. 

14 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

For ages we have all wanted a keeper to dominate the box, Max tries and gets crucified for it.

Exactly what we have wanted, Keeper gives early clear loud shout and comes to catch. Not one Millwall player interested having heard the shout.
If he's allowed to catch, we have possession and we can start an attack

Bentley wouldn't have come, he just doesn't,  Max is better in that respect . 

The first goal, it's a reaction save I doubt he had chance to think about where to try and place the rebound. It was a good save, unfortunately it bounced straight to their player. He's done everything asked of him in the last 2 games, it's almost like we want to blame him for something .

We may or we might not.

When a defensive line is that high do you want your keeper to contest a ball with his own team mates. I would not.

• Like 7

Isnt the simple answer here that it was just a mistake by the defensive unit and a blooming big one. 

I think Kalas and Oleary should share the blame with neither being completely innocent or guilty. 

All season the defence had been littered with mistakes,  Naismith, vyner,  set pieces. 

It needs improving. I have no idea how vyner has played every game this season. 

• Like 2

Very unfortunate all round........and yet another catalogue of errors?  20 months on, and NP has still NOT sorted out our defensive unit, so ultimately the buck stops with the manager IMHO.   Maybe, just maybe.........when Naismith is back, him and Kalas, and either Klose or Atkinson can begin to forge some kind of consistency?  I believe that a lot of the issues still stem from not having a quality defensive midfielder....and so it goes, and on it goes?  ?

15 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Following discussions on a thread a few days ago about ‘divisive’ and decisive goalkeepers, I should be interested to hear @Davefevs’s views on this.

Haven’t watched any of it back yet.  My view at the time…I’m too far away to hear any comms, so my big question is does a keeper need to come 15-18 yards to take a straight ball when we have a couple of players in position to attack it.  That is the first error.  If he has shouted (Nige said he heard it), then Kalas has to clear the way.  So poor decision to come from Max, poor decision by Tomas to not get out the way.

But that’s from 80 yards away…without the benefit of replays.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

For me, that (notwithstanding the shout) was a bad call by Max to come. Video below - I don’t know exactly when he shouts keepers, but facts remain:

- It’s dropping very close to the edge of the box, and he can’t judge if it’s in or out when he comes

- He has three defenders there. You can argue they should move, but the counter argument is he can see they have it covered and are better positioned than him

- He should punch and not try and catch there once he’s come

What I think may have happened here is Max has seen the criticism of sticking to line and made a decision to come out more. Nothing wrong with that, but it was totally the wrong decision 

On a side note, I find it bizarre that most have said what Max had over Bents is ability at feet but he’s consistently gone longer and percentage balls in the last two games. Clearly instructions but is bizarre.

On the plus side, on the first goal I thought Max made a great initial save and got up for second phase quickly but was let down by defence. However, I remain unconvinced overall and don’t think he is the long term answer.

Just catching up after replying to PIF.

I think you summarise and call it spot on from this video.  My only addition, is Tomas has come from nowhere to climb over Chris Martin, which wasn’t necessary.

So, @PHILINFRANCE, having now seen this, I think if I have to “blame” one player, it is Kalas.

But….I’ve now watched it from the tv gantry camera (more akin to my view in the ground), and Kalas hasn’t come from nowhere really, he’s just attacked a ball in his vicinity.

What I don’t know is whether Kalas shouts too.

So, a big cock-up, cost us two points.  Joint culpability I reckon.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Just catching up after replying to PIF.

I think you summarise and call it spot on from this video.  My only addition, is Tomas has come from nowhere to climb over Chris Martin, which wasn’t necessary.

So, @PHILINFRANCE, having now seen this, I think if I have to “blame” one player, it is Kalas.

But….I’ve now watched it from the tv gantry camera (more akin to my view in the ground), and Kalas hasn’t come from nowhere really, he’s just attacked a ball in his vicinity.

What I don’t know is whether Kalas shouts too.

So, a big cock-up, cost us two points.  Joint culpability I reckon.

Sorry Dave, I respect a lot of what you have to say but I think you're wrong on this one.  The ball came into the penalty area, it was straight and there were no Millwall players anywhere near able to challenge for the ball.  Max clearly called (you can see other players reacting to that call), Kalas doesn't and heads it away just before it falls into his hands.  And, he heads it to a Millwall player with bags of space just inside the area (so he didn't even clear the lines anyway) - perfectly placed to bend the ball into the top corner even if Max was on his line

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

It needs improving. I have no idea how vyner has played every game this season. 

Squad depth. It's a bit like when I dived into the Burnham-on-Sea swimming pool and cracked my head on the bottom. To be fair, he's been far from the worst player this season.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Haven’t watched any of it back yet.  My view at the time…I’m too far away to hear any comms, so my big question is does a keeper need to come 15-18 yards to take a straight ball when we have a couple of players in position to attack it.  That is the first error.  If he has shouted (Nige said he heard it), then Kalas has to clear the way.  So poor decision to come from Max, poor decision by Tomas to not get out the way.

But that’s from 80 yards away…without the benefit of replays.

I don't think it is a poor decision to come, if you are the keeper and you are capable of catching the ball in the area there is no reason not to come. If the defense listen to the call and trust it Max claims the ball easily and we have controlled possession of the ball. I think the issue ends up being a lack of authority from Max, the CB's don't leave it and after what comes next he should be furious with them, but just looks dejected. I think in terms of controlling his area he is doing the right thing he just doesn't (yet?) have the confidence/authority over the defense he needs. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

We may or we might not.

When a defensive line is that high do you want your keeper to contest a ball with his own team mates. I would not.

I give you that he's coming a long way, but as I have wanted and complained we haven't had a Keeper to command his box, then I'm not going to criticise one that tries to do that. Well, not too much.

We all heard Max's shout , from then on it should be his ball, unless it's too late for a defender to pull out, which I'm not sure it is.
To have a keeper claim balls through his area is a massive benefit. If you're trying to see out a game, you get possession and kill time. Chasing a game, you get a chance to start an attack. Judging by a lot of the game, if the ball is just headed out, they get possession and continue the attack. Back to your question, no I don't want him contesting with his own players, but then that's why he calls. Kalas runs about 5 yards to challenge, Martin goes for it and only Scott seems to pull out. Maybe it's playing in front of keeper that rarely leave their line, who knows, but for me if a keeper calls early and clearly it's his ball. 

Like I said, I've wanted Bentley to be more decisive coming for crosses, he won't. O'Leary did so I'm not going to call him out for doing something I've wanted our keeper to do for some time.
If he did that consistently, I'm sure the rest would become used to him coming and make way. At the moment we seem to get away with very few mistakes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

First goal can’t be down to Max, even if some are trying to make it so.

Good reaction save, no time to do more than that but defensively we simply don’t react & get in a challenge quickly enough for the second ball.

For the second goal Kalas should have respected his shout but I do feel it is too far out & he’s coming through 3 of our defenders for this, which seems unnecessary.

Absolutely no idea how we’ll line up on Tuesday but based on NP’s comments he looks a certainty.

I think his post match comments were designed to protect Max @GrahamC.

it's obvious Bents is on the naughty step, with Max having the shirt (barring more calamity) for the next few games.

If he had slated him, he could easily ruin his confidence, so he went through the "i admire, and applaud his endeavours, but.... wished he would have punched it" nonsense. 

I think his comments would have sent a message to Bents, that he's not going back anytime soon.

I expect to see Bajic against Lincoln though. A good opportunity to see him in the first team.

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I give you that he's coming a long way, but as I have wanted and complained we haven't had a Keeper to command his box, then I'm not going to criticise one that tries to do that. Well, not too much.

We all heard Max's shout , from then on it should be his ball, unless it's too late for a defender to pull out, which I'm not sure it is.
To have a keeper claim balls through his area is a massive benefit. If you're trying to see out a game, you get possession and kill time. Chasing a game, you get a chance to start an attack. Judging by a lot of the game, if the ball is just headed out, they get possession and continue the attack. Back to your question, no I don't want him contesting with his own players, but then that's why he calls. Kalas runs about 5 yards to challenge, Martin goes for it and only Scott seems to pull out. Maybe it's playing in front of keeper that rarely leave their line, who knows, but for me if a keeper calls early and clearly it's his ball. 

Like I said, I've wanted Bentley to be more decisive coming for crosses, he won't. O'Leary did so I'm not going to call him out for doing something I've wanted our keeper to do for some time.
If he did that consistently, I'm sure the rest would become used to him coming and make way. At the moment we seem to get away with very few mistakes. 

Completely agree with this. It was an awful goal to give away, but at least O’Leary was being proactive. 

• Like 1

Max at fault both goals yesterday.

1st Weak hand pushed it back into the middle instead of wide.

2nd If you come that far as a keeper you have to catch - he didn’t so he is at fault.

Offers nothing better than Bentley when coming off his line and Bentley is a better shop stopper.

Bentley just is a better keeper

14 minutes ago, Better Red said:

2nd If you come that far as a keeper you have to catch - he didn’t so he is at fault.

Offers nothing better than Bentley when coming off his line and Bentley is a better shop stopper.

Sorry, can't agree with either of your statements.  On the first there wasn't enough power to take out wide - he did all he could do with that.  On the second, he was set to catch it until Kalas intervened.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Better Red said:

The first was a reaction save, he didn't have the luxury of choosing where to put it. 
I'd question why they had 2 men over on the back post, Weimann standing and watching ?

Not long ago that Bentley was getting criticism for knocking saves into a dangerous area, and he almost never leaves his line.

I don't think there is much between the 2, I hope Bajic can add something as Bentley will be off in the summer.

13 minutes ago, cheese said:

Sorry, can't agree with either of your statements.  On the first there wasn't enough power to take out wide - he did all he could do with that.  On the second, he was set to catch it until Kalas intervened.

Exactly. Whether he should’ve come or not is another conversation but he claimed it, got there and had the ball taken out of his hands by Kalas who’s given it straight to a Milwall player.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cheese said:

Sorry Dave, I respect a lot of what you have to say but I think you're wrong on this one.  The ball came into the penalty area, it was straight and there were no Millwall players anywhere near able to challenge for the ball.  Max clearly called (you can see other players reacting to that call), Kalas doesn't and heads it away just before it falls into his hands.  And, he heads it to a Millwall player with bags of space just inside the area (so he didn't even clear the lines anyway) - perfectly placed to bend the ball into the top corner even if Max was on his line

That’s fine.  I don’t know if Kalas shouted, that’s my big issue in determining any blame.  I’m not saying it was 50:50 blame, just that possibility of fault from both (in different measures).

2 hours ago, BCFC Rich said:

I don't think it is a poor decision to come, if you are the keeper and you are capable of catching the ball in the area there is no reason not to come. If the defense listen to the call and trust it Max claims the ball easily and we have controlled possession of the ball. I think the issue ends up being a lack of authority from Max, the CB's don't leave it and after what comes next he should be furious with them, but just looks dejected. I think in terms of controlling his area he is doing the right thing he just doesn't (yet?) have the confidence/authority over the defense he needs. 

All fair comments.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Do I want my keeper interferiing with a high line? No. Do I want my keeper controlliing the space behind a high line? Yes. Two differing things. 

If the keeper stays at home the game is not lost.

I could break down the technique used, the position of hands, the steps, and the lack of intensity x spring in the jump. 

The keeper failed. The game is lost. That in modern parlance is the outcome. Its a rubbish outcome. 

30 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Do I want my keeper interferiing with a high line? No. Do I want my keeper controlliing the space behind a high line? Yes. Two differing things. 

If the keeper stays at home the game is not lost.

I could break down the technique used, the position of hands, the steps, and the lack of intensity x spring in the jump. 

The keeper failed. The game is lost. That in modern parlance is the outcome. Its a rubbish outcome. 

What about the defender ignoring the clear shout, then jumping over a team mate who was also ignoring the shout. Doubtful Kalas gets a clean clearing header as Martin is also going for it. 
As for interfering with the high line. O'Leary would be catching the ball just past the Penalty spot. A straight ball with no opposition players challenging . Exactly the sort of Ball I want my Keeper to claim.

708125584_Screenshot2022-10-16at19_43_37.png.14650f3c7574456bca26f6ea9cf40700.png

39 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

That does sound a little condescending , but you may have been a keeper, or are an ex Pro , I don't know.  
But I just know that the Keeper called clearly. He's come with intent to catch, there's no danger or expectation of a challenge , should be a straightforward catch. Until Kalas runs and jumps on top of Martin. Scott ducks out so he's heard the shout.

As I've said, I'll defend him because I like keepers to claim those crosses, specially late on when trying to see games out or needing to get back up the other end. What I will say, I can't be 100% sure how early the shout was, though at the time it seemed early enough to have made it a simple catch. 

Of course you're right, if he stays home they don't score, at least in the way they did. Kalas's header could have gone to the same bloke , in space and it's still a chance.

We are managing to shoot ourselves in the foot on a regular basis, and it's not just that each mistake leads to a goal, they affect confidence and we are struggling to find simple passes, deliver decent balls and players are no longer available for passes they would have been 5 games ago.

A question I would ask about this goal, as I did about the first. Why is there a spare unmarked man at the back/left hand post ?

This has split opinion , so we will have to agree to disagree. I'll still want my keepers to come for balls, I have to then defend them if they do just that.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I do a bit of coaching, and I absolutely encourage my keeper to come whenever practical, but also tell them to be mindful of the game around them. What the issue here was not that Max came for the ball, but that he came for it when he could clearly see defenders had the situation under control.

I’d haul my under 11s keeper out for that decision. For a championship keeper it’s unforgivable.

You’d haul out an under-11 keeper?  Really?  Under-11 football isn’t even competitive!

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You’d haul out an under-11 keeper?  Really?  Under-11 football isn’t even competitive!

To be fair, he’s my son so it’d be either for that or for not cleaning his room and at least if it was the first he might improve whereas the seconds a lost cause….

Haul out is bad choice of words. He’d get told he made the wrong decision and why - but more pertinently I don’t think he’d make that decision to start with, even at eleven.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

What about the defender ignoring the clear shout, then jumping over a team mate who was also ignoring the shout. Doubtful Kalas gets a clean clearing header as Martin is also going for it. 
As for interfering with the high line. O'Leary would be catching the ball just past the Penalty spot. A straight ball with no opposition players challenging . Exactly the sort of Ball I want my Keeper to claim.

708125584_Screenshot2022-10-16at19_43_37.png.14650f3c7574456bca26f6ea9cf40700.png

That does sound a little condescending , but you may have been a keeper, or are an ex Pro , I don't know.  
But I just know that the Keeper called clearly. He's come with intent to catch, there's no danger or expectation of a challenge , should be a straightforward catch. Until Kalas runs and jumps on top of Martin. Scott ducks out so he's heard the shout.

As I've said, I'll defend him because I like keepers to claim those crosses, specially late on when trying to see games out or needing to get back up the other end. What I will say, I can't be 100% sure how early the shout was, though at the time it seemed early enough to have made it a simple catch. 

Of course you're right, if he stays home they don't score, at least in the way they did. Kalas's header could have gone to the same bloke , in space and it's still a chance.

We are managing to shoot ourselves in the foot on a regular basis, and it's not just that each mistake leads to a goal, they affect confidence and we are struggling to find simple passes, deliver decent balls and players are no longer available for passes they would have been 5 games ago.

A question I would ask about this goal, as I did about the first. Why is there a spare unmarked man at the back/left hand post ?

This has split opinion , so we will have to agree to disagree. I'll still want my keepers to come for balls, I have to then defend them if they do just that.

Check his feet. Double step before jumping means he cannot jump efficiently as he loses momentum, and that quells downward force to explode upwards. 

The keeper is entering a high line. Its not a straightfoward catch. He never gets high enough to use a straightforward catching technique (W). In traffic punch. The keeper should be cleaning all out, and he cant because of his feet. 

A question I would ask about this goal, as I did about the first. Why is there a spare unmarked man at the back/left hand post ? I'm not quite sure what your referring to.

Completely on Kalas.. O’Leary commits and makes the call, if he listens Max makes an easy catch. We could hear him in the stands, Scott clearly hears him and follows instruction, Kalas decided to ignore and caused the collision. 

Ive always thought Kalas is erratic and doesn’t hold the shape very well, not sure why we’re giving him the minutes when he’s going to be leaving on a free this summer. He certainly doesn’t deserve his place ahead of Vyner or Atkinson and Naismith/Klose offer a lot more leadership than he does. 

I would say the fact he gets both hands in a position to catch the ball (until Kalas intervenes ) says to me he was in position. I was always told the Keeper calls it's his ball. There is no Millwall player challenging , I think it's reasonable t think he could walk out and catch it to his chest. 

Anyway, moving on. 
What I mean about unmarked men.
First goal 3 players allowed to run and end up free, one getting a good free header.

139509150_Screenshot2022-10-16at20_46_10.png.052ebf832872f5071a07ec711baf44a0.png

2nd goal

4 City players marking thin air to the left (this angle) , the Goalscorer , unmarked to the right

1750899740_Screenshot2022-10-16at20_53_09.png.8d05893e9e8f216ee115fe67e0d010ed.png

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I would say the fact he gets both hands in a position to catch the ball (until Kalas intervenes ) says to me he was in position. I was always told the Keeper calls it's his ball. There is no Millwall player challenging , I think it's reasonable t think he could walk out and catch it to his chest. 

You do not catch a ball when entering a line. The keeper should punch it. Why because of the variables and the result underlines it.

10 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Anyway, moving on. 
What I mean about unmarked men.
First goal 3 players allowed to run and end up free, one getting a good free header.

139509150_Screenshot2022-10-16at20_46_10.png.052ebf832872f5071a07ec711baf44a0.png

Runners where not tracked and ball watching. The cross was superb.

14 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

4 City players marking thin air to the left (this angle) , the Goalscorer , unmarked to the right

1750899740_Screenshot2022-10-16at20_53_09.png.8d05893e9e8f216ee115fe67e0d010ed.png

Starts compact and in a line, and leaves because of the Keeper going. 

The shape was fine v a straight ball until the keeper intervenes. 

• Like 2