IGNORED

U21s today

spudski

33 minutes ago, Super said:

He really wasn't.

Opinions, opinions.

I thought he had a good game, got his foot in, played good passes, etc.

What I’ve started to see on here is a rhetoric such as “slows it down”, “can’t pass more than 5 yards”….that suddenly becomes “FACT”.

Pic1 - Passes on Sat / Pic2 - Ball Recoveries

671AA56D-3E6E-46F8-A4D0-6B419D58F3C0.jpeg.f51410897d88ffd7467d221f2088b401.jpeg6F1862E0-AF49-4D75-88D6-CB03322CFE47.jpeg.f6eaf0b4ce2ce6ff76cd259a8309154a.jpeg
Not saying you have to have to agree, but we rarely get any of our CMs on the ball 56 times most weeks.  Alex Scott averages 34 per 90 mins and hasn’t hit 56 all season.  Not that number of passes is a defining way of measuring how well he’s played, but just one thing in wgat I thought was a good game, that bodes well as he progresses this season. (Only Naismith averages more passes than Williams btw)

Its similar with Matty James, someone calls him a slug, then lots of others do.  The same people that accuse Han of running around blindly, criticise James for not…he reads the game and positions himself well.

We forget none of our players are perfect.

• Like 4

Just now, Davefevs said:

Opinions, opinions.

What I’ve started to see on here is a rhetoric such as “slows it down”, “can’t pass more than 5 yards”….that suddenly becomes “FACT”.

671AA56D-3E6E-46F8-A4D0-6B419D58F3C0.jpeg.f51410897d88ffd7467d221f2088b401.jpeg6F1862E0-AF49-4D75-88D6-CB03322CFE47.jpeg.f6eaf0b4ce2ce6ff76cd259a8309154a.jpeg
Not saying you have to have to agree, but we rarely get any of our CMs on the ball 56 times most weeks.  Alex Scott averages 34 per 90 mins and hasn’t hit 56 all season.  Not that number of passes is a defining way of measuring how well he’s played, but just one thing in wgat I thought was a good game, that bodes well as he progresses this season. (Only Naismith averages more passes than Williams btw)

Its similar with Matty James, someone calls him a slug, then lots of others do.  The same people that accuse Han of running around blindly, criticise James for not…he reads the game and positions himself well.

I felt that he and Alex Scott got in each other's way, Both were looking for the killer pass rather than looking to play it to each other. As a consequence it looked like we had no midfield. This is just an impression though and I am not sure that the facts will back it up?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Opinions, opinions.

I thought that was possibly his best performance for us , certainly first half

• Thanks 1

So that’s the Under-21’s, the Basketball And Women’s Football Team all top of their tables. Well done to players, coaches and management. Winners. Keep up the good work. 

So, Nigel, Pat and your coaches and players, catch-up time with your respective teams. Don’t let us down lads with limp-wristed performances, be winners like the rest of the Bristol Sport family. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

Saturday.

Agree about the contracts. Just not sure why Massengo picked out like he has been. As you said RG brought it up and is a constant question to the club. Why not about others? 

When I say we don’t know the market I mean we don’t know what anyone’s floor or ceiling is wage wise. We may have offered a slight increase to Massengo and we are waiting on others because they would be negotiating on lower terms. That is fine but they are the same scenario either way. Maybe Massengo would get more elsewhere or maybe we have paid over the odds. Massengo won’t know until January and same for the others(more likely June but in theory can talk to foreign clubs). 

Good point on January it could be a view to that window. And of course NP will see it different to me and you to NP and myself. All opinions. My point was not to put any players down just that I think it is easier to see Massengo having an average game because he has had quite a few if not consistently stellar performances over the years.

Frustrating he hasn’t done it more often for sure but again I feel like he has always been stopped and started. I wish we could give him a 15 match run in the XI and see how he performs with no thoughts about being dropped. You can’t always guarantee that and there is a point where bad enough he has to go but I feel like better run clubs evaluate younger signings much quicker. That is not all on NP either btw as he wasn’t always here. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Opinions, opinions.

Agree with pretty much all of that, not least about the constant, disproportionate criticism of individual players.

I’m afraid I’m one who tends to glaze over a bit when we start delving into stats, but for once I find the data on Williams quite interesting, because I have felt recently that we are starting to get more regular glimpses of the outstanding player he was at Wigan. Chasing back and making ball-recovering tackles after losing possession was one of the eye-catching features of his game then. He has often looked inhibited here by an understandable lack of confidence in his own physical resilience and a need to protect a known vulnerability, but on Saturday I thought he looked much more like that very energetic player of a few years ago. If he is becoming strong enough and confident enough to do that on a more consistent basis, it will make a very considerable difference to our midfield, and that, incidentally, also feeds into the ongoing debate about Massengo, whose energy and tendency to want to play at a high tempo are a big part of what can make him look an asset - on his better days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree about the contracts. Just not sure why Massengo picked out like he has been. As you said RG brought it up and is a constant question to the club. Why not about others? 

When I say we don’t know the market I mean we don’t know what anyone’s floor or ceiling is wage wise. We may have offered a slight increase to Massengo and we are waiting on others because they would be negotiating on lower terms. That is fine but they are the same scenario either way. Maybe Massengo would get more elsewhere or maybe we have paid over the odds. Massengo won’t know until January and same for the others(more likely June but in theory can talk to foreign clubs). 

Good point on January it could be a view to that window. And of course NP will see it different to me and you to NP and myself. All opinions. My point was not to put any players down just that I think it is easier to see Massengo having an average game because he has had quite a few if not consistently stellar performances over the years.

Frustrating he hasn’t done it more often for sure but again I feel like he has always been stopped and started. I wish we could give him a 15 match run in the XI and see how he performs with no thoughts about being dropped. You can’t always guarantee that and there is a point where bad enough he has to go but I feel like better run clubs evaluate younger signings much quicker. That is not all on NP either btw as he wasn’t always here. 

My gut feel is that he was given a rather large contract when he signed, and it’s nowhere near what we can afford now…even a slight increase.  That would bugger us for compo (English scheme) too.

Agree totally re Massengo performance stuff.  Having played well enough against Luton and Cardiff, he’s only started 3 times since…which hardly helps the consistency stuff!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Opinions, opinions.

A genuine question, and I am assuming you do mean average (rather than aggregate).

Based on your post, Naismith averages more than Williams, who, in turn, averages more than Scott - 34 per 90 minutes.

What are Naismith's and Williams' average; is Williams' based on 90 minutes or per match, and what are their respective percentages of 'accurate' passes?

Many Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

A genuine question, and I am assuming you do mean average (rather than aggregate).

Based on your post, Naismith averages more than Williams, who, in turn, averages more than Scott - 34 per 90 minutes.

What are Naismith's and Williams' average; is Williams' based on 90 minutes or per match, and what are their respective percentages of 'accurate' passes?

Many Thanks in advance.

League games only, average per 90 minutes played, sorted by passes per 90.

image.thumb.png.bcc7510bd4a205e5a1296eb24710f788.png

Thought I’d give you their accuracy percentage too.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My gut feel is that he was given a rather large contract when he signed, and it’s nowhere near what we can afford now…even a slight increase.  That would bugger us for compo (English scheme) too.

Agree totally re Massengo performance stuff.  Having played well enough against Luton and Cardiff, he’s only started 3 times since…which hardly helps the consistency stuff!

Massengo has been given runs of games and I believe he is close to or over 100 games now. No goals and an amount of assists you could count on the fingers of a City fans hand let alone a Gashead suggests to me that he doesn’t produce anything resembling enough and I’m not sure much would change if the kid was handed protracted runs of games, as has been suggested above, that other players wouldn’t be afforded if they didn’t produce.

I think, to play for Pearson, you have to produce in a measurable way (which is one reason together with injuries that the much maligned Vyner is an ever present) and that Massengo’s shortfall on that front together with a reluctance to sign a contract means he’s cooked his goose with Nige. Yesterday was as clear a statement as Pearson could make imo.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Seems fair enough to me, his time is up here I think.

Yes, it is fair enough.  Nige will see need to see whether the likes of Kadji can be part of the proper first team group or whether he needs to replace, e.g. next summer.

I’ve speculated this since the weekend when he was left out of the 18.

I also think it might be the case with Bentley.  Unusual for Nige to drop a player after one bad game, but I might be wide of the mark, but I reckon he’s giving Max the chance to stake his claim.  That’s dual-purpose 1) is he good enough to replace Bents should he leave and 2) does he deserve to have his option exercised.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I can still see him being used at some points this season. Injuries, cup games etc.

Yes, Nige said today he likes him and will use him when he wants / needs to…and Han has said he will make sure he is ready should that happen.

That’s fine in my book from both sides.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

I see NP has been quoted today, that Massengo not signing, and commiting to the Club, is part of the reason other players who have committed, are now ahead of him in the pecking order.

Yep, we’re not here to put him in the shop window particularly as we’ll struggle to get our money back in him. You either have a long term plan or you don’t and picking players who want to piss off, when you don’t need to and when they don’t effect games in your favour, is not a long term strategy.

• Like 2