IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

I’m not sure whether Haiti are defending well or England are just not playing well enough. In many ways this game is typical of the type of matches we see early in any international tournament. Opening games are often tense affairs.

England will get better the more games they play.

A win is all that matters.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

With all the chances we've created, their keeper hasn't made a difficult save, Eapes has had to pull off two very good ones. If we come out of this with a win they will have to improve. 

They will improve.

First match against largely unknown opposition. Ring rustiness was there for all to see. Waay too many misplaced passes, losing the ball in dangerous areas.

They’ll be much sharper against Denmark on Friday.

1 minute ago, pillred said:

Well, that was a bit underwhelming by England, I would have thought Haiti deserve to be ranked higher than 55th in the world if this performance was anything to go by.

I listened to the first half on the radio and they were saying that their team are young,  have been together for almost 10 years. Loads of them are at US Universities and are starting to get contracts with big US & European clubs.  Sounds like they'll be a force and will improve.

• Like 1

Just now, Robbored said:

They will improve.

First match against largely unknown opposition. Ring rustiness was there for all to see. Waay too many misplaced passes, losing the ball in dangerous areas.

They’ll be much sharper against Denmark on Friday.

I hope you're right . After looking good against Brazil, they looked similar to today against Australia, and lost 2-0. 
I think that struggling to score lately may have caused them to snatch at chances , had the chance to have won more easily and the delivery form wide was wasteful.

A Win from the first game is always important and with luck they will relax a bit for the coming games and play their own game. 

11 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well, that was a bit underwhelming by England, I would have thought Haiti deserve to be ranked higher than 55th in the world if this performance was anything to go by.

They looked decent and with (apparently) few options from the bench , they had to swap around the back four to accommodate an injury and still looked pretty good. 

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I listened to the first half on the radio and they were saying that their team are young,  have been together for almost 10 years. Loads of them are at US Universities and are starting to get contracts with big US & European clubs.  Sounds like they'll be a force and will improve.

Bit of experience through that team and they could be good . Be interesting to see what they do in the next couple of games.

Hmm, not quite the opening game we might have thought. Have to say it's not a surprise the side looked a little rusty and ponderous at times, given the build-up and the injuries. I thought the overall performance was not too bad for game 1, but with lots of areas to work on.

This is a different set-up to the Euro 22 winners and there were several key points. With the players sent out we had a bit of trouble getting the gameplan in action against really tough and organised opponents. Haiti had several players from the French league and gave us too many awkward problems that we struggled with for most of the game. Credit to them, I think they will believe they have a good chance to get out of the group in the end.

Two areas really concern me: the 'new' centre back partnership of Bright and Carter looked uncertain at times and often played with a large distance between them. The other worry was the midfield where Walsh and Stanway had a lot on their plates, often hounded by lots of opponents. Toone was anonymous for long periods, I felt, leaving a midfield pair to bear the load and not always succeeding. Up front we had occasional sparkles of a threat but lacked a real edge. Still no goal from open play and all that. Early days, of course.

But overall a reasonable effort but not the silky football of the Euro winners just yet. That will come, no doubt, in good time. This is a different England side with new players in important positions, still to find the rhythm and style. But improve we must.

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

Rather enjoying this- good start to a weekend. But, having watched footy for about 50 years, and having just had about the 50th reference to ‘transition ‘ can anyone explain what ‘transition’ actually is/means? 

Transitions are coach speak. The moments when moving to attack after gaining possession is a transition, and the moments when moving to defend after losing possession are a transition.

The game is looked upon as having five elements. Attack, defend, set pieces, moving from defence to attack, and moving from attack to defence.

Haiti were adept at transitioning (counter attacking) from defence quickly.

That was Emma Haynes in the studio, I don’t know why but females coaches and commentators dwell on and mention transitions a lot. Emma Haynes and other female coaches sometimes mention the transitional transition, and only they know what they are!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

Well, that was a bit underwhelming by England,

So reminiscent of the men's team. Talented individuals, but can't quite get it together as a team.

The Japanese team in the previous game played in a way that was far more pleasing to the eye. Furthermore, before passing their players looked round to see all options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 22A said:

So reminiscent of the men's team. Talented individuals, but can't quite get it together as a team.

The Japanese team in the previous game played in a way that was far more pleasing to the eye. Furthermore, before passing their players looked round to see all options.

They have been together as a team, and teams have life spans and cycles. This teams best football could be behind it now and the European win (getting it together) was their zenith. The team has been on downward trajectory since the game v USA.

The team are attempting to play possession football, with width and depth and individuals are not following the model. A team cannot play possession football if several individuals in the team lose the ball 50% of the time they have it and players in the first third lack technical ability to progress and retain the ball.  

I fear England are going to progress towards a hammering.

Lost Williamson, Mead and Kirby. Also Bronze is only recently returned from injury and this is Bright's first game back from surgery after months out.

Tough gig, and not looked great recently. It’s a tough group with three teams in the top 16, so somebody is going to miss out. Equally, many teams work their way in to tournaments, and they did win. Personally feels a huge ask to get beyond the QF, just gave to hope they click and improve.

The win was all important and England will improve. It's not the CBs that worry me but the space in front of them. Teams have worked out that if they can stop Keira Walsh getting on the ball England are not as effective. The loss of Williamson is huge as with Walsh they operated as a double pivot closing the space for the opposition whilst at the same time finding space with their interplay to make telling forward passes. If Walsh is going to be marked out of the game then another way needs to be found. I'd consider leaving out Hemp or Kelly, getting my width from the full backs and bringing an extra player into centre midfield. Step forward Lauren James in a 10 role, she could scare the living daylights out of our opponents. 

In the few games I’ve watched so far, I’ve seen no play acting / diving. The tackle on Chloe Kelly yesterday, down her shin, would have seen premier league “all stars” writhing around on the deck. Similar where the keeper was bathed in the early stages of the Netherlands game - bounces back up, gets on with it. Putting many of the Men’s game to shame. 

• Like 2

• Admin

Just watching the Spain - Zambia game on BBC2

Goal review goes to VAR.

Mic goes on field to the ref who announces "No goal - Player offside" - but she announced it wrong, she should have said "No offside - Goal"

They got there in the end

• Like 1