IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

England through and it doesn't matter how. Apart from Georgia's surprising miss the other penalties were superb. Can't complain about Lauren James red card but can complain about Robyn Cowen's commentary. I was getting sick of England Defenders 'doing just enough' while every time Nigeria defended superbly. 

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Phew but that was tough on Nigeria who deserved more, they were certainly the better team 

But failed to score in two hours of dominance. Very poor finishing when it mattered. How many saves did our keeper need to make? 

They were strong and stopped us playing but you have to score goals too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

But failed to score in two hours of dominance. Very poor finishing when it mattered. How many saves did our keeper need to make? 

They were strong and stopped us playing but you have to score goals too.

We defended fairly well. Nigeria clearly the better team, but can argue their goalie ended up making the better saves. 

2 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Glad they’re through but I’m 40 years old and I’ve never seen the Men’s team ride their luck and get so many decisions in their favour, wish Lady Luck would spread it around a bit ?

Still think we should have had that early pen though.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Has anyone pointed out the clear correlation between the poor England performance and the absence of @shahanshahan and his BCFC flag? I am starting a campaign to have him returned to Oz at the teams expense.

:)

Think you're on to something. No BCFC flag before or during the game - 2nd best for 120 minutes. BCFC flag shown before penalties and by far the better finishes (1st pen excluded).

• Like 1

Nigeria were excellent all over the pitch. They are a poacher short of being contenders. They will be taken seriously in future for sure

No team wins a World Cup without a little luck. Teams develop into tournaments. England are as solid as anyone at the back, so we move on!

It's not just the men's team that put the fans throught the mill.

Who thought the game would play out like that? Clearly not Weigman and her staff. We know that Nigeria are a big, strong, ahtletic side but they've added structure and composure to their reportoire and are now a really difficult side to come up against. Several of the Super Flacons have European club experience and it shows. It was alarming to see our space closed down so well - we hardly had a white shirt that wasn't also wearing a green one as well. They must be wondering how they are going home now and I feel for them.

But winners find a way. We found one eventually and it will stand us in good stead for the rest of this tournament. I thought Greenwood and Carter we superb in defence, which is just as well as we didn't get much going forwards from midfield. Weigman will have a late night working out the systems we will need if we are to succeed.

And as for Lauren James, her story is only just beginning - and there will be more chapters to go through. Time will be the judge.

8 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

the absence of @shahanshahan

Last seen in the South Stand on Saturday, also tending his flag on the touchline. Perhaps we need to start a crowd funder to get him back Down Under?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Think you're on to something. No BCFC flag before or during the game - 2nd best for 120 minutes. BCFC flag shown before penalties and by far the better finishes (1st pen excluded).

I can report a Bristol City flag was quite clearly shown on the US coverage (FS1)

• Like 1

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Has anyone pointed out the clear correlation between the poor England performance and the absence of @shahanshahan and his BCFC flag? I am starting a campaign to have him returned to Oz at the teams expense.

:)

LOL

Assume you missed the horror shows in the group stages

I do feel for him as he follows England and City all over the place

4 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

There was another City flag shown on TV

• Like 1

• Admin

This is what football is all about, upmost respect to Chloe Kelly and Alex Greenwood 

20230807_112547.jpg

That's our get out of jail free card used today, the girls certainly dug deep but the history books will show a Lionesses victory

Now to find a bar at London Bridge to watch the game on Saturday

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

England through and it doesn't matter how. Apart from Georgia's surprising miss the other penalties were superb. Can't complain about Lauren James red card but can complain about Robyn Cowen's commentary. I was getting sick of England Defenders 'doing just enough' while every time Nigeria defended superbly. 

That could have been because England defenders often did do just enough, whilst  Nigeria did defend well? That’s certainly what I saw for much of the game. 

Just now, phantom said:

This is what football is all about, upmost respect to Chloe Kelly and Alex Greenwood 

20230807_112547.jpg

That's our get out of jail free card used today, the girls certainly dug deep but the history books will show a Lionesses victory

Now to find a bar at London Bridge to watch the game on Saturday

Absolutely. One of them waved the camera away as well. 

• Like 1