IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

• Admin
40 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

So the finalists got smashed 4-0 in the group, no chance that happens in the men's tournament. More open in the women's for better or worse

Just imagine if the mens current World Cup holders lost to the mighty Saudi Aradia in a group game :whistle:

Wouldn't get that in the ladies tournament.... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pillred said:

3 late goals don't change the facts it was overall pretty dreadful I really hope tomorrow's game is more watchable as it would be a shame at the finish to spoil what's been a pretty exiting tournament. 

I'd take a boring 1-0 same again in the final!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Obviously the manufacturers/designers want their logo noticed but I don’t buy that the placing of the valve makes it more difficult to locate.

Even in the heat of the game it’s simple enough at a set play for the taker scan the ball for the valve.

Personally I like to see the ball swoosh - it’s quite a skill to execute that particular skill - Christiano Ronaldo springs to mind.

This is going off topic but the colours on a ball do make the valve harder to locate. This adds time to the player finding the valve. This adds complexity to practice and matchplay. Take a thousand free kicks and players do a month that is a thousand times complexity has been added to free kick routines. Players training with Nike balls have been known to marker pen the valve so they spend more time concentrating on technique. This complexity is not present with Mitre deltas etc which were formerly pro footballs match ball of choice. Mitre back the valve with colours that make the valve stand out. 

I don't know what a ball swoosh skill is!! Your probably referring to the knuckleball. A free kick that pros are moving away from due to its inefficiency. Rondaldos knuckle ball has become notoriously inefficient. His knuckle ball success (6%) at far below 10% is not elite level, It is poor.  

Edited by Cowshed

'So the finalists got smashed 4-0 in the group'

That was their last group game against Japan - they had won the first two 3-0 and 5-0 and were already qualified. We would do well to study that one but won't rely on it - the Spanish are a rising team but have yet to get to the very top.

Edited by Erithacus
typo

6 hours ago, Super said:

I'd take a boring 1-0 same again in the final!

We might, not sure about anyone else though, let's hope for a win and a decent game tomorrow and in the final as it will really help inspire a new generation of girls not only here but the rest of the world as well.

• Admin

England unchanged and Sam Kerr starts for the Aussies, I had a funny feeling those photos of her walking around with that ice pack on her calf yesterday was a bit to convenient to be seen

Clearly not 100% match fit so will be interesting to see how she plays, though she may actually suit or defence as they are used to playing against her

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

England unchanged and Sam Kerr starts for the Aussies, I had a funny feeling those photos of her walking around with that ice pack on her calf yesterday was a bit to convenient to be seen

Clearly not 100% match fit so will be interesting to see how she plays, though she may actually suit or defence as they are used to playing against her

If we've kept our cool about the spying nonsense and this then we'll have an edge over them. It is indicative of an inferiority complex on the Aussies' part

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

an inferiority complex on the Aussies' part

Aussies don't do that. They are a side, indeed a nation, that gives everything and makes sure they won't have any regrets about the result - just the effort. Not disinclined to a bit of 'media housery' to be sure but they will be more than ready. It is a massive day for women's football in a sports-mad country and important that they do show pride and boost the beautiful game the way our Lionesse have over here. They will approach it as a game where they have nothing to lose.

Still think we have the strongest bench of any side, and a coach that can make the right call at the right time. Two teams that have a lot of familiarity especially at WSL level and this will be a tight game, but one that we have the qualities to win.

• Admin
10 minutes ago, Midred said:

Presumably the white kit would clash with the yellow of Australia? 

May sound daft but I am sure it is to do with partially sighted people, in that we would have both been in light coloured shirts and darks shorts

14 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

A lot of talk about Kerr, if she isn't 100% then let's knock it about, she won't want to press.

I like the fact that we are going in hard and roughing up Kerr

Ref is a little bit too inconsistent on the petty fouls, giving nothing our way at the moment

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pillred said:

What a surprise I think if they can the officials will try to give the Aussies any advantage they can, don't be surprised if it's still level after 70 mins we don't have a player "sent off"

Do we have you to thank for the goaa? ?

• Haha 1