IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

4 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

So refreshing to see wimmins football is free from diving and cynicism.

A lot of very naive words over the last year or so about the women’s game not being like the men’s game. I mean, it's not, not yet, but the "direction of travel" is only going one way. And Argentina's women have hardly got going yet ....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

And we were magnanimous in defeat. No blaming of the officials, decisions going against them. Just accepting that today Spain were the better team 

I said earlier in the tournament that when England got fouled they stayed on their feet when they could or should have gone down. Refreshing or naive? Not sure.

I didn't like the Spanish habit of copying the men and screaming and diving but maybe that comes from having the male head coach?

It was one of the more cynical games at this finals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

A lot of very naive words over the last year or so about the women’s game not being like the men’s game. I mean, it's not, not yet, but the "direction of travel" is only going one way. And Argentina's women have hardly got going yet ....

Direction of travel I hear you say. 

If Newton was watching Spain took so long to take one corner apples were falling back on trees.

Edited by Sixtyseconds

4 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Absolutely spot on 

52 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

That corner at the start of injury time where they took 50 seconds, including changing the taker twice, and she just let them do it.

That is a deliberate attempt to delay play = Bookable. There were two occasions Spain players deliberately kicked the ball away = Mandatory yellow and one of these players had already been booked, the refs gone for her card in her pocket realised she already booked a player and changed her mind. That was poor refereeing, and England's player should have got around the ref on that. Mandatory is mandatory and Spain should have been playing with ten.

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 5

The day o'ercast.

What would have been the perfect end to a fabulous tournament turned out to be a disappointment on several fronts. I suspect there will be a large amount of examination of Weigman's starting line-up and formations. The first half did not really provide a source of encouragement, with the Spanish playing a typically Spanish brand of suffocating midfield press. We had little momentum to get forward and use our best weapons. Clearly Vilda had worked thoroughly on keeping pressure on and usually had a player extra in the midfield battles. We didn't really find enough space and time, which should have something we should have reacted to sooner. The first half was the more important in hindsight, bringing with it the only goal on 29 minutes.

Weigman made the uncharacteristicly brave move to change the formation by taking off two forward-thinking players at half time and left a bit of a gap in the middle. The pre-tournament worries about the lack of goal scoring resurfaced at the wrong game. It didn't help that quite a few England players were not on their best form: Hemp was stifled, Russo often outnumbered and isolated from linking up, but Bronze had a bit of a stinker. It was her foray into the thickest part of the Spanish midfield that led to the decisive goal. Spain have too much ability: they realised her mistake and picked the ball out to an unguarded flank. A sublime finish and the only place Earps could not reach.

But for my money the real problem over formation was about the role Elle Toone had. She did a lot of support work and defending in the number ten spot but it was not the channel we had any success going forwards with. Supply was the real thorn.

It won't be obvious here but the Spanish have achieved an amazing triumph; their path to glory was beset with acrimony at all levels, mutinous accusations and a bitter camp. They had a rocky start and initially were not the side they became, but have won despite - not because of - the national set-up. Just like the men's team, it has taken a long time for the dazzling club talent to translate into international trophies. Their younger sides are also growing and the future looks really rosy for the Riojas.

So where now? Wiegman has to chew on a second World Cup Final defeat and the calls for her to replace Southgate will dwindle quickly. Now we will have to get back home, review where things went well and where they fell short. It will not be long before England will be back on the trail and memories will have to be selective in places. I feel one or two Lionesses will decide to call it a day; hopefully we will have new blood waiting for their chance.

And where now back home? City will have earned a right to play at the top table and look forwards to seeing the Lionesses stars at Ashton Gate. Back to the bread and butter.

• Like 1

I was surprised to see the dip in quality from England especially in the final 3rd. There were a few times where England players failed to overlap and made it easy for Spain to snuff out attacks. Quality crosses were almost non existent and you could see the confidence ebb out of the team as the game progressed. 

Still, European champions though. 

It will now be interesting to see how they move on from today. 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

No question the right team won today. Disappointing, but my son loved his first experience of tournament football in a foreign bar - we had a blast here in Dubrovnik! Place went wild when Earps saved the penalty.

Hope you get to check out Lokrum Island and Cavtat, easily reached by water taxi.

• Thanks 1

I have been a big fan of Lucy Bronze, who imo over the duration of the last six to eight years has been consistently the best woman footballer in Europe (that's not to say that there haven't been better players at points in time). So it's sad that she ended up being one of the main reasons that we fell short today. Not just because of the goal, but because she just didn't have the legs to cope with the Spanish onslaught in the first half. I don't even think that they particularly targeted her, but they just found most joy down their left side for that reason. 

When the dust settles, the FA need to pull their fingers out and extend Weigman's contract for a further two years. And if that's not possible (she may not want to) replace her now. There is little point imo to her taking us to the Euros if she isn't going to lead us in the next World Cup. 

Now should be the end of the international road, at least with regards major tournaments for the older members of the squad that will not be available in four years time. It is time to build a youthful squad to take that four year journey and put in place a coach that will guide them the entire way (hopefully the one we already have).

We don't need to defend the Euros (not to say we shouldn't try to). Imo we need to use it as a rehearsal for a young squad to go one better in four years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

The day o'ercast.

What would have been the perfect end to a fabulous tournament turned out to be a disappointment on several fronts. I suspect there will be a large amount of examination of Weigman's starting line-up and formations. The first half did not really provide a source of encouragement, with the Spanish playing a typically Spanish brand of suffocating midfield press. We had little momentum to get forward and use our best weapons. Clearly Vilda had worked thoroughly on keeping pressure on and usually had a player extra in the midfield battles. We didn't really find enough space and time, which should have something we should have reacted to sooner. The first half was the more important in hindsight, bringing with it the only goal on 29 minutes.

Weigman made the uncharacteristicly brave move to change the formation by taking off two forward-thinking players at half time and left a bit of a gap in the middle. The pre-tournament worries about the lack of goal scoring resurfaced at the wrong game. It didn't help that quite a few England players were not on their best form: Hemp was stifled, Russo often outnumbered and isolated from linking up, but Bronze had a bit of a stinker. It was her foray into the thickest part of the Spanish midfield that led to the decisive goal. Spain have too much ability: they realised her mistake and picked the ball out to an unguarded flank. A sublime finish and the only place Earps could not reach.

But for my money the real problem over formation was about the role Elle Toone had. She did a lot of support work and defending in the number ten spot but it was not the channel we had any success going forwards with. Supply was the real thorn.

It won't be obvious here but the Spanish have achieved an amazing triumph; their path to glory was beset with acrimony at all levels, mutinous accusations and a bitter camp. They had a rocky start and initially were not the side they became, but have won despite - not because of - the national set-up. Just like the men's team, it has taken a long time for the dazzling club talent to translate into international trophies. Their younger sides are also growing and the future looks really rosy for the Riojas.

So where now? Wiegman has to chew on a second World Cup Final defeat and the calls for her to replace Southgate will dwindle quickly. Now we will have to get back home, review where things went well and where they fell short. It will not be long before England will be back on the trail and memories will have to be selective in places. I feel one or two Lionesses will decide to call it a day; hopefully we will have new blood waiting for their chance.

And where now back home? City will have earned a right to play at the top table and look forwards to seeing the Lionesses stars at Ashton Gate. Back to the bread and butter.

That counter has been on all tournament and before it. England split in possession, high and wide. Bronze plays very high at the instruction of her coach. There should be coverage (reserve principle) behind her as she pushes up or steps in, with two sitting there really should have been. Bronze was looking for an option, driving to release. Its an achilles heel where England are turning the ball over a lot, while playing a form of possession football and end up in a poor shape to defend quickly. Too much and eventually a team exploited it.

Second half a move to four provided more stability to build and defend from. 

Edited by Cowshed
  • Like 1

I asked my daughter on Friday: Ella Toone, or Lauren James? "Gotta be LJ for me, dad" she replied. I advised against this, referencing Spain's likely domination of the ball, and must now concede defeat to my daughter in knowing "how to set up" and generally "how the game works."

I think she sees me tactically as a bit of a dinosaur, like Nige,

• Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

Whether it’s city or England… I’m so so sick and tired of watching other people celebrate.

As a 40 year old City and England fan who has never seen my club in the top flight or my country win a tournament, I consider City fans of my generation to be genuinely the most long-suffering in the English game.

To be fair to the Lionesses, they did deliver us a hugely enjoyable Euros win last summer. Literally the only time I’ve seen a team I support win a major trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thanks - we are off on an all-day boat cruise tomorrow which (I think) includes both!

If Lokrum isn't included as a stop you can get a water taxi there from the old harbour front, very close by, only about 5 or 10 minutes in the boat I think. A good place to be on a very hot day and you escape the cruise ship hoardes in the old town. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

That was a very England match. Plucky but not quite good enough

Spot on....the brave and plucky English losers against the savvy technically superior Spanish.  England were full of grit and determination, but that isn't enough when you are tactically out manoeuvered?