IGNORED

How many of our players are in their prime?

Major Isewater

Our results are not surprising due to the inbalance of our squad.

We have many ,quality, but past their prime, Martin, James, King … and the others ,in the main quality , yet to reach their prime Scott,Conway, Vyner …

Can we expect them to perform at the top of their games twice a week? 

Edited by Major Isewater

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have many ,quality, but past their prime, Martin, James, King … and the others ,in the main quality , yet to reach their prime Scott,Conway, Vyner …

Isn't Vyner 25 ? How long do we have to wait for him to reach his prime and when he does will he be able to pass to a red shirt more often.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I think there is something to be said for this, but I’d say it’s more about not having enough “inspirational” players, the ones who can turn a very average team performance into a winning one with a bit of magic.

I think we have a squad of very similar ability players in the main, age regardless.

But I guess ultimately there are lots of reasons!

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

@Major Isewaterin a few short words?

Not that many.

I posted something similar the other day but it might’ve been too tenuous. We recruit beneath from lower leagues and wonder why we struggle.

We have happy hunting grounds in non-league football. We loan out to non-league football for those who are deemed up and coming to get game time. We buy injury prone or those in the autumn years of their careers.

And guess what? We yo yo. We rely on the same old players and the same old tried and tested - and found out - tactics and we get what we’re given.

Scott, Semenyo, Conway and Benayrous (spelt right?) are amongst the very few that have any quality that I’d want to keep. Add HNM perhaps but that’s about it

Sadly.

1 minute ago, BigAl&Toby said:

@Major Isewaterin a few short words?

Not that many.

I posted something similar the other day but it might’ve been too tenuous. We recruit beneath from lower leagues and wonder why we struggle.

We have happy hunting grounds in non-league football. We loan out to non-league football for those who are deemed up and coming to get game time. We buy injury prone or those in the autumn years of their careers.

And guess what? We yo yo. We rely on the same old players and the same old tried and tested - and found out - tactics and we get what we’re given.

Scott, Semenyo, Conway and Benayrous (spelt right?) are amongst the very few that have any quality that I’d want to keep. Add HNM perhaps but that’s about it

Sadly.

James, Williams, Weimann?

Wells has scored a good number this season but age isn't on his side.

Are we writing off Tanner and Wilson already.

Atkinson not a relative success and with age on his side?

There are others I could argue on but longer injuries, older or inconsisrent I accept.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

James, Williams, Weimann?

Wells has scored a good number this season but age isn't on his side.

Are we writing off Tanner and Wilson already.

Atkinson not a relative success and with age on his side?

There are others I could argue on but longer injuries, older or inconsisrent I accept.

James? Matty James? Inconsistently useless.

Williams? Inconsistently fit. And inconsistent at delivering from a deadball position.

Weimann? Too old. Worth a few more seasons. Same with Wells.

Time will tell with others - Tanner, Wilson, Atkinson. I fear they’ll possibly end up like others before them.

Mediocrity enables mediocrity to shine. Hope I’m wrong but I fear many more seasons where we bleat on about FFP, being happy with a top half finish, etc. etc.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I think @GrahamC was highlighting this a few weeks ago, we got no prime age players in the 25 - 28 years category. Although we had one in his prime last season, but that's over now

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

It's quite unusual for a club to have a team of players in their "prime" at the same time.

Look at Liverpool now, they clearly haven't got that.

Two, off the top of my head, were the late 90s United teams and the mid 2000s Barcelona sides - but that's at the top end of the game.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

52 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Have spoken about this over the last few seasons. We have very few in that late 20's age point. There's valid reasons for it, financial mainly, but yeh it's absolutely a weakness in our squad.

Not a terminal weakness that guarantees relegation, but certainly enough to make promotion more of a doubt.

Clearly some doubts about our promotion prospects, as things stand

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Clearly some doubts about our promotion prospects, as things stand

Yeh of course. My point is that those doubts were also there in August. If you looked at our squad in the summer (and the summer prior) then it was glaringly obvious that we lacked players in their prime.

• Like 1