IGNORED

I am thinking of taking a chance on flying to Middlesbrough

Never to the dark side

bonfire night is saturday 5th november the day of the middlesbrough game and a rail strike day

Thinking of flying to Middlesbrough(via newcastle) on the saturday morning departing 11:50am arrive newcastle 12:55pm

Then a hired car  from Newcastle to Middlesbrough distance of 50 miles journey time a bit of just over and hour

then stay the night in Middlesbrough,then return home on the Sunday morning.

Any one else up for it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1

You should factor in waking up Sunday morning to find your hire car either up on bricks or a burnt out wreck.

In respect of time and cost why not drive to Boro (only 4 1/2 hours) and if you don't fancy coming back same night stop over at Harrogate, York or any of the decent places off the M/A1?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

You should factor in waking up Sunday morning to find your hire car either up on bricks or a burnt out wreck.

In respect of time and cost why not drive to Boro (only 4 1/2 hours) and if you don't fancy coming back same night stop over at Harrogate, York or any of the decent places off the M/A1?

I stayed the night in Middlesbrogh once after a match and - along with car - survived!! Not to be recommended though: there really is nothing to do. Agree that Harrogate or York (or anywhere across the North Yorkshire moors) is a better option - that's what we're doing next week.

I can't help thinking of the potential outcome to NTTDS's scenario - that the flight is delayed by a couple of hours, arrives Newcastle at 3, at which point he decides to just stay on the plane and fly back to Bristol ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

He can stay at Rishi’s gaff in Richmond 

• Like 1

It’s only a matter of time before one of these threads gets turned into a Netflix drama.

I would love this to happen NTTDS but can’t help but think the timings are a bit precarious. A quick look back at recent Bristol to Newcastle flights shows that late flights aren’t uncommon.

Lets say it’s just 20 minutes late, which seems a good result in air travel nowadays, you then have to queue for the car then it’s going to take you over an hour I think to drive there as the airport is the wrong side of Newcastle. By the time you’ve found a parking space the match will be underway and no time to take photographs.

Maybe I’m being pessimistic and those flights can land early of course. Anyway, good luck and I hope it all goes smoothly if you do go. 

20 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Out

Fly to Amsterdam from Bristol, take the ferry from Amsterdam to Newcastle, hire car from Newcastle to Middlesbrough;

Back

Hire car from Middlesbrough to Hull, ferry from Hull to Rotterdam, Train from Rotterdam to Amsterdam, fly from Amsterdam to Bristol

@Never to the dark side has already set off from Hull to Amsterdam

75FDD032-1E37-4419-9F98-1B2D1D403E93.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NickJ said:

Very disappointed that nobody has suggested John could fly Easyjet to Newcastle, get the same plane back to Bristol, and watch the game on the red button in the Lansdown Longe.

It is due to land back in Bristol at 2.30 so just about doable.

But it won’t be on the red button.

One of my best value away days was at Newcastle, I flew from Gerona, not too far from where I was living, to Newcastle for about €40 return.

Speaking to other City fans that day I did wonder if it would have been cheaper for them to fly from Bristol to Gerona then to Newcastle.