IGNORED

Tommy Conway

Red Army 75

The over-riding thing is that Wells and Conway are a good partnership. It’s no co-incidence that they both have good games when they play alongside each other, and that they both tend to perform less effectively alongside someone else. 

Today was the perfect example of that. Several times they just knew where the other was going to be and what balls to play where. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Martin comes on when the other forwards are totally knackered closing down for 75 minutes. He wins headers, occupies two defenders while doing it and is a very clever at the dark arts which he demonstrated admirably at West Brom. I'm sorry if you can't appreciate this.

He did none of that today

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

There as a moment in the second half which showed for me why Tommy has “it”.

Ball was heading down their left hand side in the air, defender favourite. Tommy, as it was coming, knew he wouldn’t win the ball but levered the defender slightly so he would be off balance. It meant that in the second phase, he made the tackle on the touchline. You might just see the tackle, but the intelligence to create the opportunity for the tackle was immense. See also the delayed pass last season against Bournemouth for Weimann to score.

Hes not just a high energy presser. He’s a very intelligent footballer.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Absolutely brilliant, fantastic goal and worked his socks off. Wells also had a good game 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Antman said:

we lost impetus when Wells went off, he was excellent today.

Both were excellent today, and back to their best as a partnership.

Wells looked tired, so many shuttle runs closing down their CBs.

And a few minutes before the sub, I thought Swansea breached us between the lines for the first time, earning a corner (or two), and subs seemed sensible.

Its possible Wells might also have been playing through illness too.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Super said:

Martin offers next to nothing these days. I was disappointed to see him brought on tbh.

Sadly this is true. Chris Martin has been a decent professional but taking off Wells and Semenyo gave the clear message that we were purely trying to hold on to what we had.

We looked dangerous with Conway, Wells and Semenyo on the pitch and it always gave us a chance to press Swansea high up the pitch.

Overall i thought a draw was about right although we did have a couple of very good chances early on.

• Like 3

Wells and Conway are a real partnership. They work hard, they understand how each one works and are happy to play in the other. 
I really loved the goal today, at first I thought it was a poor pass by Wells, but it was just perfect. Saw it on the screen at HT, a little disguise and perfect weight. But what a great run from Tommy, and just a brilliant finish. 
Semenyo was off today, but if he could start to work out that position those 3 could really be a threat.

5 hours ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Martin comes on when the other forwards are totally knackered closing down for 75 minutes. He wins headers, occupies two defenders while doing it and is a very clever at the dark arts which he demonstrated admirably at West Brom. I'm sorry if you can't appreciate this.

Do you think so. I don’t. 

10 hours ago, One Team said:

Said a few times on here now Wells And Conway are our pairing up front. 

I agree but would add that when we play big strong teams they really struggle, I think that's when Semenyo is needed although he really needs to improve his first touch and control. 

8 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Pity Semenyou was not at the races today

I am assured there were at least 4 members of the team that made it out there, that were ill for most of the week. I am pretty sure Semenyo was one of them, I also think that Wells showed his experience in the way he paced himself through out the game. At a guess I would say that Scott was another and maybe even Matty James (see my comments for Wells). I thought James really showed his worth today, btw. Not only in his own performance but the way he helped organise the midfield and forward line 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, firstdivision said:

Sad to say this is true. I despaired when he came on - the obvious sub was Bell for the tiring Conway. Wells didn’t want to come off. Antoine should have stayed on. Couldn’t see the point of CM coming on. 

We have another big game Tuesday, do you think that might have come into the reckoning?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

We have another big game Tuesday, do you think that might have come into the reckoning?

I don’t know. But play the game in front of you, especially when it’s in the balance. I appreciate that the front three had done a lot of hard work - that’s why I would have swapped Bell for Conway - but I think we could have delayed taking off Wells and Semenyo for a bit longer. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, firstdivision said:

I don’t know. But play the game in front of you, especially when it’s in the balance. I appreciate that the front three had done a lot of hard work - that’s why I would have swapped Bell for Conway - but I think we could have delayed taking off Wells and Semenyo for a bit longer. 

I said in another thread that Semenyo and Wells seemed to be a couple of the ones who got off their sick beds to play yesterday, and both looked out on their feet on the hour.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Thanks 1