IGNORED

Tommy Conway

Red Army 75

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I said in another thread that Semenyo and Wells seemed to be a couple of the ones who got off their sick beds to play yesterday, and both looked out on their feet on the hour.

Fact or supposition?

NP, in his pre-match media conference, said three players had been suffering - a striker, a midfield player and a defender. That doesn’t quite tally with both Wells and Semenyo having suffered from flu. I think it’s reasonable to assume that Weimann and Klose were two of them. 
I agree that if Wells and Semenyo had been suffering, taking them off was understandable (albeit frustrating from a tactical point of view considering how the game was set up, and what the changes meant: Martin and Bell unlikely to cause too many problems). But does anyone on here know for certain? 

15 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I am assured there were at least 4 members of the team that made it out there, that were ill for most of the week. I am pretty sure Semenyo was one of them, I also think that Wells showed his experience in the way he paced himself through out the game. At a guess I would say that Scott was another and maybe even Matty James (see my comments for Wells). I thought James really showed his worth today, btw. Not only in his own performance but the way he helped organise the midfield and forward line 

I don’t think James had had too many better games for us than he had yesterday. Passed the ball well and made a couple of excellent tackles. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Fact or supposition?

NP, in his pre-match media conference, said three players had been suffering - a striker, a midfield player and a defender. That doesn’t quite tally with both Wells and Semenyo having suffered from flu. I think it’s reasonable to assume that Weimann and Klose were two of them. 
I agree that if Wells and Semenyo had been suffering, taking them off was understandable (albeit frustrating from a tactical point of view considering how the game was set up, and what the changes meant: Martin and Bell unlikely to cause too many problems). But does anyone on here know for certain? 

PSR has a very close contact.

Let’s not forget that the press-conf was Thursday, and Atkinson had it by Saturday, Nige said Scott had it on Friday but played through it and it was spreading thru the squad and they were on medication as a result.

So quite likely a few / several suffering in some shape or form.

• Like 2

Decent 45 for Scotland.

TC had one chance from a tight angle after he did well to nick the ball. Denied by the keeper's face and he certainly hit it firmly!

As above, collided with the woodwork but ok when it looked like he might tap in at the far post.

Usual high intensity, pressing and contributing all round when he sees the ball...not seen loads.

42 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

Who is our most capped Scot’s player while playing for the club?

Pretty sure Paul Hartley’s sole cap whilst with us is the only instance of a City player ever playing for Scotland.

Jamie McAllister made a couple of squads in GJ’s time but never got on the pitch.

Gow, Ritchie, Sweeney, Gillies, etc never won full honours.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Pretty sure Paul Hartley’s sole cap whilst with us is the only instance of a City player ever playing for Scotland.

Jamie McAllister made a couple of squads in GJ’s time but never got on the pitch.

Gow, Ritchie, Sweeney, Gillies, etc never won full honours.

Wow.

I mean, you may well be correct, but was our only full Scotland cap really an aging Paul Hartley; a very fine player, but one who had his best (and very good) years long behind him.

When I think of all the young Scots that came through our ranks, from the Alan Dicks era onwards (were there any in Fred Ford’s team? @cidered abroad?), I should be amazed if there was not another Scotland cap amongst them.

30 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow.

I mean, you may well be correct, but was our only full Scotland cap really an aging Paul Hartley; a very fine player, but one who had his best (and very good) years long behind him.

When I think of all the young Scots that came through our ranks, from the Alan Dicks era onwards (were there any in Fred Ford’s team? @cidered abroad?), I should be amazed if there was not another Scotland cap amongst them.

Gordon Low was comparatively young when we got him from Huddersfield. Fred Ford's team had Bristolians among those who were not but had come from our apprentices.

Jantzen Derrick, Brian Clark, Bobby Williams, Tony Ford, Gordon Parr, Lou Peters and Alec Briggs had all come through. Rest of the team had been bought for not big money. Gibbo, Jack Connor, Ray Savino. Plus of course Big John.

27 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Gordon Low was comparatively young when we got him from Huddersfield. Fred Ford's team had Bristolians among those who were not but had come from our apprentices.

Jantzen Derrick, Brian Clark, Bobby Williams, Tony Ford, Gordon Parr, Lou Peters and Alec Briggs had all come through. Rest of the team had been bought for not big money. Gibbo, Jack Connor, Ray Savino. Plus of course Big John.

Best man at Dennis Law's wedding...............we always said "That's the closest he's been to a footballer "?

9 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wow.

There wasn’t.

Gow is the obvious one but the Scotland midfield of his era was mental, Souness, Rioch, Masson, Gemmill, Wark, Asa Hartford, Strachan.

Ritchie was competing with Dalglish (!), Sturrock, Jordan, Alan Brazil, Ian Wallace.

They were a bloody good team.

Edited by GrahamC

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Yes he did, but what I meant was he never played for Scotland whilst with us.

Hartley (once) is the only one to do so.

Didn't Mark Wilson make a squad and play whilst with us and we were all shocked during (I believe) the McInnes era...

Can never remember if he was a loan or if it was one of those like Lansbury recently where we had them on a short term deal

Tommy Conway will go far in football or indeed any other way he chooses to live and work.

He appears to be a level headed young man who is able to make fun of himself. I believe that City have a real gem and only hope that we can keep him long enough to help us bring the success in the table that we all want. 

2 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Didn't Mark Wilson make a squad and play whilst with us and we were all shocked during (I believe) the McInnes era...

Can never remember if he was a loan or if it was one of those like Lansbury recently where we had them on a short term deal

No.