IGNORED

Wales Name Change?

Super

1 hour ago, reddoh said:

Many Somerset people moved to south wales  and worked in the pits

I sort of imagined 'im asking 'er if she fancied going to Wales, and she imagining them crossing the stream at the end of the village, not ending up in a mining village in the Welsh valleys!

Yes, my grandad worked down the pit or had something to do with it, they were farm labourers before.

Bully for them, I think they have shown by completely destroying a toilet how tough they are and if they want to change their name I wouldn't like to be the one to tell them they can't. One guy took the Dolman by walking on the pitch, stopping 20 yards away and raising his arms ..

( That's one tough hombre)

A more apt name might be the bell-ends or the coke junkies..

Hope this helps.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is largely bollocks tbh. The language spoken in Wales on a daily basis is English. Headline grabbing crap

It's not about the language spoken.

It's whether you have for your country name one given it by the people who conquered it or do you opt to have your own pre-existing country name?

You can continue to call them Wales as you can continue to call "Deutschland" Germany.  You won't be banned from Twitter for it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is largely bollocks tbh. The language spoken in Wales on a daily basis is English. Headline grabbing crap

Depends where you go in Wales. Cardiff and Newport, yes, are influenced more so by the English. Towards the north and west Welsh is increasingly spoken as a first language. 

21 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Fine. Whatever. If the cultural region of Wales is allowed to field its own team then the can call it whatever they like IMO.

I'm of the opinion that the team that goes to international tournaments should be a UK team, with home nation teams, if desired, fielded in friendly competitions or in the CONIFA competitions for those odd little regions of cultural identity like Cascadia and Occitania.

Odd. England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries in their own right, not just a ‘cultural identity’. 

44 minutes ago, James54De said:

Odd. England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries in their own right, not just a ‘cultural identity’. 

In some respects they are. In others they really aren't.

Just my opinion but I don't think they should be classed as countries in any way at all. I'd like to see a full unification of the United Kingdom. I don't mean England absorbing the other 3, I mean unification, with government moved to Manchester (or somewhere else roughly central), abolition of the separate crowns and a new King of Britain crowned, new flag probably etc etc.

I had a great holiday in Caernarfon last week. Loved hearing Welsh spoken in the streets, really enjoyed exploring the town and Snowdonia and meeting the people that live there. But Wales isn't a country, no more than England is. Both are a part of a larger whole. Each is an admirable, beautiful, wonderful part, but just as Mercia, Wessex, Northumbria and the like coalesced into England 1400(ish) years ago, so it's now time to move on from petty divisions. Preserve the culture but unify the nation's.

Until then why would anyone give an F what each 'country' calls itself in a football tournament. As I say, I'd scrap the 4 teams (and restructure the FA in the process) and field a single UK team.

I know that none of their will happen, and that's fine, it's just my ill-informed dream. It's not hurting anyone for me to wish for full unity.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, James54De said:

Depends on how you want to define it. None of those 4 are countries according the UN. Wales is no more a country that Catalonia (neither is England, btw).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

In some respects they are. In others they really aren't.

Just my opinion but I don't think they should be classed as countries in any way at all. I'd like to see a full unification of the United Kingdom. I don't mean England absorbing the other 3, I mean unification, with government moved to Manchester (or somewhere else roughly central), abolition of the separate crowns and a new King of Britain crowned, new flag probably etc etc.

I had a great holiday in Caernarfon last week. Loved hearing Welsh spoken in the streets, really enjoyed exploring the town and Snowdonia and meeting the people that live there. But Wales isn't a country, no more than England is. Both are a part of a larger whole. Each is an admirable, beautiful, wonderful part, but just as Mercia, Wessex, Northumbria and the like coalesced into England 1400(ish) years ago, so it's now time to move on from petty divisions. Preserve the culture but unify the nation's.

Until then why would anyone give an F what each 'country' calls itself in a football tournament. As I say, I'd scrap the 4 teams (and restructure the FA in the process) and field a single UK team.

I know that none of their will happen, and that's fine, it's just my ill-informed dream. It's not hurting anyone for me to wish for full unity.

7 hours ago, Calculus said:

Depends on how you want to define it. None of those 4 are countries according the UN. Wales is no more a country that Catalonia (neither is England, btw).

In every sense, England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries. That’s fact. 

9 hours ago, James54De said:

In every sense, England, Scotland, Wales and NI are countries. That’s fact. 

They're not sovereign states though. They're vestiges of a medieval world from time long past. They're no longer necessary and only serve to cause division and argument amongst those that inhabit this archipelago. We're stronger together.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

They're not sovereign states though. They're vestiges of a medieval world from time long past. They're no longer necessary and only serve to cause division and argument amongst those that inhabit this archipelago. We're stronger together.

Quite right. England doesn't even have its own government, doesn't have a recognised leader. The other three have devolved governments that are little more than jumped up county councils with leaders to match. We would be stonger together if we ever  put differences aside and embarked on major change but sadly that won't happen. Unfortunately I believe that the UK will split in time. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2022 at 16:09, Super said:

Wales' national football teams could change their name to Cymru - the Welsh name for Wales - after this year's World Cup in Qatar.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) already uses Cymru at its headquarters and in communications and documents.

Informal discussions have taken place with European football's ruling body Uefa about a possible change.

"The team should always be called Cymru, that's what we call it here," said FAW chief executive Noel Mooney.

A can of worms here'; allow it for one. allow it for all Suomi, Danmark, Norge, Sverige, Nederland, Belgique, Deutschland, Italia, Rossiya, Espana etc

Why are people so inflexible with ideology? It’s perfectly acceptable to be a Cardiff hating, proud English Bristol City fan and see perfect sense in this decision. You can’t just take pride in the accomplishments you had nothing to do with that are good and spurn the things you had nothing to do with that are bad.

On 31/10/2022 at 17:15, italian dave said:

Don’t knock it…it’s the only cup we’ve ever won! 

We won the Anglo Scottish Cup too. (And the JPT/Freight Rover) Was there for that one and the players carrying the cup around afterwards. 

My old man didn’t really want to go, but I said it might be our only ever Chance to see us win a trophy. ? 

I guess I was very nearly right!