IGNORED

The Chris Martin conundrum

AshtonRobin21

Got a fair few last season but still never thought he was any good. Should’ve been released end of last season, was only going to get slower which I wasn’t sure was even going to be possible. 

I’m sure they looked at other target man types in the summer but didn’t manage to get any over the line. It’s one of the top priorities for me in January if we can do some business. 

Edited by Carey 6

I’ve always liked Martin and he has had some decent moments in a City shirt over the last couple of seasons but i think we should have let him go at the end of last season to be honest.

He was never blessed with pace but his legs look fully gone now.. His good movement and awareness always seemed to compensate for his lack of pace but even that’s not working for him now and has all just become a bit painful to watch to be honest.

I think it just highlights where we are financially though unfortunately - we are crying out for a replacement but i can guarantee the powers that be have told Pearson there just isn’t the money available to do it. 

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 2

Frustrating subs again from Pearson imo. Not for first time this season, I felt he stifled out momentum. No need to make subs for the sake of it when we’re on top and pushing for an equaliser. Taking wells off and putting Weimann to right wing back were strange decisions for me. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Got a fair few last season but still never thought he was any good. Should’ve been released end of last season, was only going to get slower which I wasn’t sure was even going to be possible. 

I’m sure they looked at other target man types in the summer but didn’t manage to get any over the line. It’s one of the top priorities for me in January if we can do some business. 

This is the best one so far, scored 12 with 8 assists, so we should have let him go.

Even though he had a clause entitling him to another year which he deserved.

Obviously the new target now Vyner is playing well.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

This is the best one so far, scored 12 with 8 assists, so we should have let him go.

Even though he had a clause entitling him to another year which he deserved.

Obviously the new target now Vyner is playing well.

Protocol please Graham

This is the thread for ‘vent of the night’

No place for facts , logic etc

27 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Chris Martin has done well in a city shirt. And due to our financial situation we offered him the extra year because we couldn’t afford anyone else. It’s not his fault IMO 

The point is we had no real need to take Wells off. He was still running, we were making breaks, getting close to getting the equaliser. Taking him off and putting on Martin just slowed us and CM's main impact was to lose possession. 

I agree it's not Chris's fault. It's Pearson's for persisting with this pointless "sling on Martin near the end" tactic. It's almost like he feels obligated to play him.

• Like 5

I don’t think you will get anything other than agreement here. Even Lady WellSpokenMan thought it was a backward step. Her Ladyship even uttered an expletive, heavens forbid, when Mr Wells was substituted for him. 
A great shame really. I thought that overall we were by far the better team and actually had one of the best displays of the season. Good game management by the Blades to see it out, although incredibly frustrating to watch and suffer. 
Hey ho…back to fireside and a single Malt, and dreaming of those goals we should have scored ?

Would be nice if he showed some sort of acknowledgement to the crowd before being the first to trot off the pitch & down the tunnel - every single game.

He was decent enough last season but shown himself to be completely past it now. Too slow, one dimensional & largely disinterested. His introduction also forces a change to our style of play so we become a poor version of Wimbledon in the late 80s.

• Like 1

I believe Chris has lost interest now. He came into the season as one of the first names on the team sheet, but now is simply not mobile or threatening enough for the way we play. Fast counter attacking football doesnt suit him and I think hes now getting frustrated with Pearson. Wells, Conway and Semenyo have simply been better.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The point is we had no real need to take Wells off. He was still running, we were making breaks, getting close to getting the equaliser. Taking him off and putting on Martin just slowed us and CM's main impact was to lose possession. 

I agree it's not Chris's fault. It's Pearson's for persisting with this pointless "sling on Martin near the end" tactic. It's almost like he feels obligated to play him.

Totally agree about tonight I was on about the bigger picture and knock on affect.

Wells was the best player on the pitch tonight 

• Like 1

Martin is a good player. The issue is the team's mentality when they see him coming on to the pitch. They instantly think 'we can now go long'. The style instantly changes and in my view doesn't actually suit him that well. CM is best when the ball is played into his chest and into his feet. He's at his best when he's got people running beyond him, who he can play those cute balls around the corner into (WSM last season). You can't blame Martin for our back line suddenly starting to kick it long. Their mentality changes in my view. They don't do that when we have either of the other 4 on the field.