IGNORED

City and Sheff Utd charged

CiderJar

That ‘ref’ got worse as the game progressed. Sheffield Utd players realised he didn’t have a grip on the game and just kept pushing it until it inevitably got out of control. 
The referees assessor at the match should have an input and explain why it was allowed to deteriorate before any ‘evidence’ against the teams is presented. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

The clubs failed to control their players and yet the referee, who failed to control the players, and has all the authority to do so during the match, will not face any charges.

Players get yellows and reds, managers get sent to the stands. When will the refs start getting punished for sub standard performances. Considering we had an apology letter from the Hull game earlier in the season for poor officiating.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

Players get yellows and reds, managers get sent to the stands. When will the refs start getting punished for sub standard performances. Considering we had an apology letter from the Hull game earlier in the season for poor officiating.

Nige quite rightly complains that the officials are not accountable for anything that happens during a game. That’s entirely down to the PGMOL.

Hopefully things will improve when Howard Webb takes over.

I agree that the ref was shit. 

But. 

The referee didn’t make Tanner dive into that horrible tackle. 
That’s the sort of tackle that will always spark confrontation between opposition players. 

Does anyone actually think those scenes were ‘orderly’? 

So yeah, the ref was shit, but the brawl at the end following a horrendous tackle from Tanner weren’t the ref’s doing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is this the same charge us and Luton got when Sykes was sent off?

Interesting if it is, same footballing outcome, same pathetic overreaction from the opposition and the same charge dished out to both clubs. They were both probably red cards but I've seen them not given, and the referee has clearly been influenced both times by the offended team piling in.

And we've been charged both times for failing to control our players.

I'd love to know what they're supposed to do in that situation, adopt the brace position and sing kum-ba-yah until it blows over?

Edited by Always Believesham

1 hour ago, Harry said:

So yeah, the ref was shit, but the brawl at the end following a horrendous tackle from Tanner weren’t the ref’s doing. 

I do think the ref played a huge contributing factor to the game descending into players getting wound up. I know you’ll say that’s not his fault, but his poor decision making, allowing players to get away stuff lead to a decline in players feeling they were being dealt with fairly.

When that happens tensions rise, and you then see tackles like Norwood and then Tanners.

Go back to Luton. We had a succession of decisions go against us in the 5-10 mins before Sykes flew in.

The ref has a responsibility to keep the players under control. He failed through his awful decision making.

When you played I bet you thought “well if he got away with that, do can I”.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Pity the player tackled didnt get straight up as he wasn't injured. It would have calmed things down. But he had a chance to get Tanner sent off and took it. He was smiling as he laid flat out.

As much as I agree with you, that's how it is played now, players "win" penalties or free kicks by cheating and it is accepted for such behaviour. 

We would be doing exactly the same at 1-0 up in injury time, if we weren't many would be moaning. Until some sort of stop clock is brought in this time wasting and shithousery will carry on.

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do think the ref played a huge contributing factor to the game descending into players getting wound up. I know you’ll say that’s not his fault, but his poor decision making, allowing players to get away stuff lead to a decline in players feeling they were being dealt with fairly.

When that happens tensions rise, and you then see tackles like Norwood and then Tanners.

Go back to Luton. We had a succession of decisions go against us in the 5-10 mins before Sykes flew in.

The ref has a responsibility to keep the players under control. He failed through his awful decision making.

It was a combination of poor refereeing causing both sets of players to become frustrated and the shocking tackle by Tanner triggered the brawl when the Blades players rushed to abuse Tanner and the City players trying to protect him.

Anyone who’s played competitive football will know how easy it is to get fired up particularly when the referee is crap and to me it’s not the fault of the respective clubs if their players rare up - how does any manager coach his players to remain calm? 

It’s human nature.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Banjo Red said:

When will the refs start getting punished for sub standard performances

They do get punished, they get to Ref us.

Couple of things, while Sykes challenge was stupid, clumsy, possibly reckless I really don't see it as horrendous. If he had caught him with his front leg, yeah. But he's stretching for the ball, in that moment you don't consider your trailing leg, which is what caught the guy. Looks bad because he has his leg planted and the lad goes up in the air. I expect anyone that has played at any level has given and received those. I even had a mate having a go at me when I left one on him, I hadn't even noticed. 
The one on Williams is deliberate and a possible leg breaker, that is horrendous.

The melee , well I think they took advantage of the situation a little bit. Break up play and waste time, there seemed nothing happening for a few seconds, then Baldock and McBurney get involved, I don't know why Max ran over and made it worse. The Ref had a big part to play in all of that, he never had control of the game , never seemed to have respect of the players. I've mentioned before how he had to chase players to book them. If the Ref has a grip on the game , he makes those players come to him . If they ignore him and get away with it, they will take the piss.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I agree that the ref was shit. 

But. 

The referee didn’t make Tanner dive into that horrible tackle. 
That’s the sort of tackle that will always spark confrontation between opposition players. 

Does anyone actually think those scenes were ‘orderly’? 

But weren't it the ref who missed a far worse tackle by Norwood?  Perhaps they should charge the referee with gross incompetence...weren't they?

13 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nige quite rightly complains that the officials are not accountable for anything that happens during a game. That’s entirely down to the PGMOL.

Hopefully things will improve when Howard Webb takes over.

Well that’s wrong, referees get demoted down the leagues.

1 hour ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Mostly lead by McBurnie - a thug who shouldn’t be anywhere near a professional pitch 

On another note - Tanners tackle was bad but nothing like Flecks on Korey Smith a few years back 

I agree he’s out on bail for something that happened on the pitch yet still allowed to play on the pitch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

But weren't it the ref who missed a far worse tackle by Norwood?  Perhaps they should charge the referee with gross incompetence...weren't they?

Yep. Norwood’s tackle was horrible. And the ref missed it. Poor tackle, poor refereeing. 
But that doesn’t excuse Tanner’s tackle. Tanner makes the choice to do that; no one else. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

They are accountable for their performances though, they are reviewed and demoted eg Kevin Friend

I know that after every match the managers enter a rating on the officials performance. The difficulty with that is if a manager gives a low rating that referee will know and that may effect their performance the next time they referee a City match.

23 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m with @Harry on it being Tanner’s decision to decide that he’s going to make that challenge and I can’t believe that he consciously thought it was a challenge he’d get away with based on the ref having missed Norwood’s. He may have felt aggrieved but you don’t risk a red card and an injury to a fellow professional on that basis.

The brawl however I think was down to the ref having lost any semblance of control and authority. In the split second after the foul I actually said to my friend ‘it’s going to kick off now’. For Sheff U it was a deliberate attempt to delay matters further and they knew that the ref would bottle dealing with it. For City players it was that culmination of frustration from a string of poor decisions (if I remember correctly it was very soon after we’d been denied a clear corner) and lost control. And both sets of players knew (and were right) that they’d get away with it. 

• Like 3

On 04/11/2022 at 20:24, Red DNA said:

That ‘ref’ got worse as the game progressed. Sheffield Utd players realised he didn’t have a grip on the game and just kept pushing it until it inevitably got out of control. 
The referees assessor at the match should have an input and explain why it was allowed to deteriorate before any ‘evidence’ against the teams is presented. 

Yes. More or less the way I saw it. The referee will never get a public rebuke and his performance will never be put on trial with that of the players. 

What bothers me is we know the standard of refereeing is as poor as it’s ever been, but we are unable to take advantage and instead play the bloody victim every week. 

The attitude of the club, players and supporters has to change. Take a leaf out of the Leeds United book and intimidate the bloke from the moment he arrives. The loss of the East End has made us the nice little club Pearson accused out of last week. 

52 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’m with @Harry on it being Tanner’s decision to decide that he’s going to make that challenge and I can’t believe that he consciously thought it was a challenge he’d get away with based on the ref having missed Norwood’s. He may have felt aggrieved but you don’t risk a red card and an injury to a fellow professional on that basis.

The brawl however I think was down to the ref having lost any semblance of control and authority. In the split second after the foul I actually said to my friend ‘it’s going to kick off now’. For Sheff U it was a deliberate attempt to delay matters further and they knew that the ref would bottle dealing with it. For City players it was that culmination of frustration from a string of poor decisions (if I remember correctly it was very soon after we’d been denied a clear corner) and lost control. And both sets of players knew (and were right) that they’d get away with it. 

No, that’s not what I meant really…just saying the ref allowed players frustrations to overflow into tackles, because he’d lost control.  I also don’t think Tanner meant anything other that going in hard and winning the ball, he just mistimed it.

• Like 1

If only every letter of apology included 2 points with it!

Players get booked or sent off, penalties maybe denied and after a few poor matches the ref may be demoted.

Some matches are like being back at school, the bullies rule, the kids who retaliate get punished and the teachers do very little about it.

Gamesmanship used to be a positive term, now on the whole it means cheating and those that cheat are allowed to win.

Rant over!

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, that’s not what I meant really…just saying the ref allowed players frustrations to overflow into tackles, because he’d lost control.  I also don’t think Tanner meant anything other that going in hard and winning the ball, he just mistimed it.

Fair enough: I guess none of us know what was going on in his mind! I just felt it was incredibly rash, and while that may well have been born out of frustration, he should have not let that happen.
The ref allowing it and him choosing to let it are two different things.

From my view point is was a red card waiting to happen from the moment he launched himself, and that cost us and him dear. And a massive shame because I think he’s a good player and should be in the team. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, italian dave said:

Fair enough: I guess none of us know what was going on in his mind! I just felt it was incredibly rash, and while that may well have been born out of frustration, he should have not let that happen.
The ref allowing it and him choosing to let it are two different things.

From my view point is was a red card waiting to happen from the moment he launched himself, and that cost us and him dear. And a massive shame because I think he’s a good player and should be in the team. 

Totally, if you go in like that, you better win the ball!  High risk tackle.  Bloody lovely when they get the ball though! ???

• Haha 2