IGNORED

Drugs At Football

Selred

12 minutes ago, Selred said:

About time in my opinion. 

Seems pretty pointless, especially if it means in the Stadium. Horse racing is rife with it, pubs generally do nothing about it, no doubt the likes of Glastonbury will be full of the stuff and the list goes on and on. People who take drugs won't care about it.

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Seems pretty pointless, especially if it means in the Stadium. Horse racing is rife with it, pubs generally do nothing about it, no doubt the likes of Glastonbury will be full of the stuff and the list goes on and on. People who take drugs won't care about it.

Exactly.  This is a pointless platitude. It’s illegal to take class As but as you say it’s rife and obvious in a lot of places and very few establishments do anything about it. 

Am I correct in thinking that if you get arrested for one offence but then after being arrested for that original offence you get found in possession of a class A drug then you get rearrested for the second charge of possession? 

It just that (according to BBC) There were more more than  140 arrests for drug offences at matches last year. Which appears to be quite a low percentage of footballing going folk considering more than 15 million spectators attended the premier league alone last year.  There is clearly a national issue with drug taking but I can't see it being policed successfully enough using laws that re already in place so I look at the new threat of banning orders making little or no difference.  Hope I'm wrong.  

1 hour ago, Selred said:

About time in my opinion. 

Cocaine obviously has risen in popularity and ease to get hold of over the last 15-20 years i don’t think anyone can dispute that but i think the authorities really are clutching at straws if they think it is ‘fuelling’ disorder anymore than having 7 or 8 pints does.

Football disorder was rife in the 60s 70s and 80s long before cocaine was just a phone call away. What was ‘fuelling’ it back then? Certainly not saying it helps mind you but alcohol the worst and most destructive drug in our society once again gets overlooked.

• Like 5

Personally think since Covid that I've noticed more and more coked up fans especially on away trips just being needlessly aggressive to our own fans and opposition fans.

Football violence has gone up again in the last few years and I would say that coke has a direct influence on that as the drug itself goes to the part of the brain which causes a rise in self confidence and aggression. It has become more readily accessible and available in the last few years especially during lockdowns. It is mostly taken by 18-30 year old 'lads' at the football. Alcohol isn't the reason that there has been a rise in aggression, I'd definitely blame the cocaine

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

The sad fact is that there has always been a percentage of football fans that are prone to acting violently, starting way before cocaine became readily available and affordable.

It's easy for the government to point to finger at cocaine, as it avoids the real issues, which I believe are more cultural, societal, upbringing, deprivation etc.

Cocaine per se doesn't make someone violent. Bankers and lawyers enjoying a dinner party sniff don't suddenly bottle the other guests with their cab sav. MP's having a livener in the House of Commons don't steam into the opposition benches.

Cannot stop giggling at thought of each side of the house streaming into each other ;0)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Personally think since Covid that I've noticed more and more coked up fans especially on away trips just being needlessly aggressive to our own fans and opposition fans.

Football violence has gone up again in the last few years and I would say that coke has a direct influence on that as the drug itself goes to the part of the brain which causes a rise in self confidence and aggression. It has become more readily accessible and available in the last few years especially during lockdowns. It is mostly taken by 18-30 year old 'lads' at the football. Alcohol isn't the reason that there has been a rise in aggression, I'd definitely blame the cocaine

So what has been causing football violence in decades gone by then? Because from what i can see the same levels of aggression and casual culture that is in football now has never gone away irrespective of people being sniffed up.

As @Sir Colby-Tit has more eloquently than me pointed out, this is a far more complex issue that comes down to many factors mainly cultural society deprivation etc.

The government are just doing what they always do and instead of trying to get to the route cause are highlighting cocaine use as the problem because it’s the easy blanket solution.

• Like 1

It's not Drugs or Alcohol really, yes it makes people make the wrong decisions, but it's the Male masculinity lads culture.

You put one of this type of person around a campfire full of hippies playing guitars etc. Give him 15 cans and a bag, probably nothing will happen.

Add 3 or 4 his mates to that scenario, then he has the potential to kick off.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

The sad fact is that there has always been a percentage of football fans that are prone to acting violently, starting way before cocaine became readily available and affordable.

It's easy for the government to point to finger at cocaine, as it avoids the real issues, which I believe are more cultural, societal, upbringing, deprivation etc.

Cocaine per se doesn't make someone violent. Bankers and lawyers enjoying a dinner party sniff don't suddenly bottle the other guests with their cab sav. MP's having a livener in the House of Commons don't steam into the opposition benches.

I agree to the majority of that, but I know people who are not violent at all even when drinking alcohol, but when they are on that they are definitely more likely to either start a row through their paranoia of someone looking at them (a random bloke glancing around at something else but makes eye contact), or when in a group they definitely get braver and feel invincible. Government think it's all "Football Factory" at every game I expect.

So as far as I understand this then. 
If someone is in a pub, or in a park, or walking in the street, or at a restaurant, or at cricket/rugby/any other sport and has cocaine on them, nothing will happen to them. But if they are at a football match they’ll get a 3-10 year ban. 

Personally never touched the stuff, but I know loads who do. If they ban everyone who does coke at a game I think our attendances would drop to about 5k ?

• Haha 2

Took my boy to his first away game this season and it was the first time I had seen the extent of this. The pent up aggression in the queue for the toilets was enough to put my boy off from going at half time.

I totally support any action against this and believe that we will get more away support because of it.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

If someone is in a pub, or in a park, or walking in the street, or at a restaurant, or at cricket/rugby/any other sport and has cocaine on them, nothing will happen to them. But if they are at a football match they’ll get a 3-10 year ban. 

Personally never touched the stuff, but I know loads who do. If they ban everyone who does coke at a game I think our attendances would drop to about 5k ?

The south west are instituting the following "iniative" https://news.sky.com/story/recreational-drug-users-could-have-passports-and-driving-licences-confiscated-under-new-plans-in-government-crackdown-12653788

Obviously it flies in the face of any evidence based work that reduces the risk of crime and harm to self, but they love a strong message. 

You are right though bans of 3-10 years are massively inflated especially when they so freely push alcohol. 

Personally I'd have seen it as a chance to engage people around their alcohol and substance use. This is very unlikely to stop people drinking and using before and after the game. Possibly they'll just get more tanked before they get in if they were worried about it - that's usually what happens when clubs are ordered to have dogs. 

We'll see. 

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

People who ‘ do coke’ should realise that they are  contributing to the misery and deaths of thousands of poor people who cannot escape the clutches of the drugs cartels. 
Drug taking is not an innocent pleasure.

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

2 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I can see the reasoning, but seems a bit hypocritical when the biggest contributor to violence is sold in the ground and actively encouraged.

The biggest contributor to violence is people..not alcohol 

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

I can live with those attendances 

1 hour ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

You’re right about cocaine not making people violent but if your that way inclined it will certainly bring it out of you a lot faster, it makes you think you’re invincible, ( so I’ve been told ).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chowie said:

It's not Drugs or Alcohol really, yes it makes people make the wrong decisions, but it's the Male masculinity lads culture.

You put one of this type of person around a campfire full of hippies playing guitars etc. Give him 15 cans and a bag, probably nothing will happen.

Add 3 or 4 his mates to that scenario, then he has the potential to kick off.

saturday night live dancing GIF

• Haha 1