IGNORED

Drugs At Football

Selred

On 07/11/2022 at 12:47, spudski said:

I have visited Albania, when I was staying in Kassiopi, Corfu. And yes, it was awful.

But now...our own foreign office states it's a safe place to visit. And the tourist side of things is really being pushed. It has some incredibly unspoilt coastline now being developed for exclusive and ' normal' holidays. 

Your description could be said of places like India or Sri Lanka, which many visit to tour or holiday.

Some details. https://www.chasingthedonkey.com/what-to-do-on-the-albanian-riviera-guide/

Would you want to move there?

On 07/11/2022 at 21:57, Rocking Red Cyril said:

The thought that illegal drugs can be controlled by making them illegal and therefore far more dangerous to the user and not having a more forward agenda. Where drugs are de criminalised and controlled. To allow safer clean drugs  being available to be bought off a controlled supply line from government and again paying tax .

You are not going to stop people taking taking drugs. Do make sure they take safe clean drugs in controlled environments

In the same way that we're not going to stop people smoking?  Only with that, the prevalence of smokers has reduced from around 20% of the population to around 13% in the space of 10 years. The government won't legalise something that can prove to be harmful to the public.  The amount of tax they would receive from it I feel is irrelevant insofar that they were getting billions in the tax of cigarettes, but that didn't stop them from making it less tempting to buy them, thus reducing the tax they take in.

In relation to the topic of drugs in football, can I just say that I have never dabbled in any narcotics of any type, but a part of me wishes I could've found a supplier during the game last night that could've made watching that shower almost bearable! 

• Haha 3

On 05/11/2022 at 12:57, Hittheginger said:

Think this is only being applied to football because it's the only sport with existing legislation for banning orders and spectator behaviour already in place (happy to be proven wrong though). Other sports would need a lot more work legally to bring this in

But it's not only being applied to football, it's just supporter paranoia kicking in! 

I went horse racing on Friday to Exeter and the sniffer dogs were out at a small meeting like that, everyone in the queue was Che ked. Also been sniffed at Cheltenham and various gigs

10 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

In the same way that we're not going to stop people smoking?  Only with that, the prevalence of smokers has reduced from around 20% of the population to around 13% in the space of 10 years. The government won't legalise something that can prove to be harmful to the public.  The amount of tax they would receive from it I feel is irrelevant insofar that they were getting billions in the tax of cigarettes, but that didn't stop them from making it less tempting to buy them, thus reducing the tax they take in.

In relation to the topic of drugs in football, can I just say that I have never dabbled in any narcotics of any type, but a part of me wishes I could've found a supplier during the game last night that could've made watching that shower almost bearable! 

That's worked due to good harm reduction policies rather than outright banning. There are different approaches to regulation, 

On the last point if you've ever drank alcohol you have used narcotics. Tbf not even 8 pints would have made last night better. 

On 07/11/2022 at 11:01, spudski said:

It's sad isn't it...that so many people have to rely on drugs to be happy, feel good about themselves or take them purely to exist. 

Surely it's the system that's broke. The system that makes people need drugs to be happy, have a good time, exist etc etc. That's what needs sorting. Gangs and supply are just sticking a plaster over a deep wound.

People have drank alcohol, smoked tobacco and marijuana and used other drugs for centuries if not longer. It’s human nature.

1 minute ago, KegCity said:

People have drank alcohol, smoked tobacco and marijuana and used other drugs for centuries if not longer. It’s human nature.

True...and there is an argument that certain amounts of alcohol, certain drugs are harmless in small quantities. 

It's when it's abused and taken in large quantities, that the problems start.

Just now, spudski said:

True...and there is an argument that certain amounts of alcohol, certain drugs are harmless in small quantities. 

It's when it's abused and taken in large quantities, that the problems start.

I don’t disagree, just pointing out that people have been taking different forms of drugs for centuries. Alcohol is legal and regulated so it gets a pass, other equally destructive drugs aren’t.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, frenchred said:

But it's not only being applied to football, it's just supporter paranoia kicking in! 

I went horse racing on Friday to Exeter and the sniffer dogs were out at a small meeting like that, everyone in the queue was Che ked. Also been sniffed at Cheltenham and various gigs

A lot of those dogs are sniffing for counterfeit cash, rather than drugs

23 hours ago, frenchred said:

Sorry my original comment was more related to the notion of banning orders. Drugs are obviously still illegal at other sporting events which is why security/dogs will be on the lookout for them. The difference being if you are caught with them at horse racing (or any sport other than football) I don't believe they'd have the powers to ban you for 3-10 years from attending a horse race anywhere else in the country. 

• Like 1

Let's face it, drugs (and I'm purposely excluding nicotine & alcohol) are a reason people are enslaved, mistreated, addicted, murdered, raped etc all across the world. It's why kids across our country are getting stabbed, shot & murdered. 

If you're involved in any way in this illegal trade then you are complicit in these crimes. Blood is very much on your hands. 

• Like 1

On 09/11/2022 at 11:57, frenchred said:

Judging by numerous news clips I have seen, it appears a certain Joe Biden enjoys a good sniff.  Allegedly, of course,

It looks like he has some kind of fetish or an uncontrollable urge.

Or maybe, this harmless, old gentleman is simply using his amazing olfactory faculties to detect the smallest, microscopic traces of drugs.

( When he's got the scent, he's like a Hunter. Which reminds me, father and son would probably benefit from undertaking a joint venture ).

The message to anyone in such a situation, should be . . . .   "Just say no ! "

• Haha 1

On 05/11/2022 at 10:13, chowie said:

It's not Drugs or Alcohol really, yes it makes people make the wrong decisions, but it's the Male masculinity lads culture.

You put one of this type of person around a campfire full of hippies playing guitars etc. Give him 15 cans and a bag, probably nothing will happen.

Add 3 or 4 his mates to that scenario, then he has the potential to kick off.

I agree, been to many a festival and don't think I've ever seen any trouble - not saying it doesn't happen obviously, but there's 1000s of people often a few entitled ones trying to get to the front and pushing past etc but very rarely any trouble from it. That's in an environment rife with drugs, almost everyone.

There's something about having an "enemy" too. These lads will hate the person sat the other side of the netting for no reason other than the colour of their shirt. It's a culture issue and it's a bit pathetic

• Like 1