IGNORED

VAR again

Rob k

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Only one that was wrong was the Brentford pen which was a shocking decision. None of Forest's were pens imo.

My main issue is that’s they sent the ref to look at that and not the Forest one - why? It was definitely worth a look especially as the Brentford one, which as you rightly say was a shocker, was looked at. 
Still zero consistency 

9 hours ago, Rob k said:

Anyone watching MOTD? How on earth have they asked the ref to look at the Brentford penalty and not the Forest incident which could easily have been a penalty? 

VAR - worst thing to ever happen to football 

Nothing wrong with VAR in principle.

It's the way that it used that is the problem.

Why can cricket, rugby, tennis etc. use TV replays without a problem, but football can't?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Why can cricket, rugby, tennis etc. use TV replays without a problem, but football can't?

Stop start games is my opinion, cricket and tennis very straightforward too 

4 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

Spot on - the PGMOL recommendations are open to ‘flexible’ interpretation and that’s the problem.

• Robin 1

5 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

That's not really a fair comparison. Cricket and tennis are clear cut decision more in line with goal line technology which works 99.9% of the time. Rugby is similar but is still down to the referee's interpretation and can be controversial, the main difference is rugby people are traditionally less critical of the referee's.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rob k said:

My main issue is that’s they sent the ref to look at that and not the Forest one - why? It was definitely worth a look especially as the Brentford one, which as you rightly say was a shocker, was looked at. 
Still zero consistency 

But if the VAR doesn't think it's a pen they won't ask the ref to look at it. I still haven't seen a ref stick to his original decision once VAR ask him to look at it again.

10 hours ago, Rob k said:

Anyone watching MOTD? How on earth have they asked the ref to look at the Brentford penalty and not the Forest incident which could easily have been a penalty? 

Sorry don't agree,we definitely need VAR  in the championship ,ie look at Sheffield United game, 2 players should have been sent off not one, and the amount of penalties we should have been awarded at home, 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Can’t remember which game it was yesterday, but a penalty was given for a shoulder challenge which was exactly like the one on Wells vs Sheff Utd. 
Var agreed it was a pen. 

I maintain my theory from earlier this season. The refs in the championship are being deliberately poor, so that it heightens the desire for Var to be brought in. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Harry said:

Can’t remember which game it was yesterday, but a penalty was given for a shoulder challenge which was exactly like the one on Wells vs Sheff Utd. 
Var agreed it was a pen. 

I maintain my theory from earlier this season. The refs in the championship are being deliberately poor, so that it heightens the desire for Var to be brought in. 

It was the Manchester City sending off, it was deemed that there was no attempt to play the ball. I haven't gone back and looked at the Wells one as it's not in the highlights package I have seen, but I think it's less clear cut as to whether Baldock(?) was challenging for the ball.

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

Var agreed it was a pen. 

The Wells one was outside the box for the 1000th time...

11 hours ago, Rob k said:

It is beyond rubbish.

The VAR intervention would be contentious and be around law 12 then 14. The two are not the same.

The incident was then shown on screens in the stadium. Players are surrounding the ref, Crowd is? Henderson acts like a big baby and should have been have been booked for dissent then off for the second yellow.

It’s all pressure on the ref. Respect is arse wiped again.

The cycle of abuse towards officials is furthered, people see all of that and the refs at every level are fair game, abuse will be refs mobbed in cars from parents, punches thrown at refs, child refs leaving pitches in tears again and again at grass roots level ...What is seen at the top is repeated.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

Var agreed it was a pen. 

& a red

28 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

I don't go to football for the thrill of carefully considered decisions drawing on all the evidence available, assessed in a measured and balanced manner.

I go to Weston Magistrates court for that.

Just you wait until video/CCTV evidence is referred to the criminal justice equivalent of VAR!

2 hours ago, Super said:

But if the VAR doesn't think it's a pen they won't ask the ref to look at it. I still haven't seen a ref stick to his original decision once VAR ask him to look at it again.

The important bit missing here is that we don't get to hear the conversations between VAR and the ref. 

Remember, VAR can only get involved if the ref has made a clear and obvious error. VAR and the ref are in constant communication. The ref will explain what he's seen and his interpretation of it etc. VAR will then decide if he's made a clear and obvious error. 

We've all been saying this since the start but managers should have X amount of challenges, that clears all of this up.

I'd not be against a VAR+ for these challenges. So when a manager makes a challenge, it goes to a different VAR ref who's not involved in that game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The important bit missing here is that we don't get to hear the conversations between VAR and the ref. 

Remember, VAR can only get involved if the ref has made a clear and obvious error. VAR and the ref are in constant communication. The ref will explain what he's seen and his interpretation of it etc. VAR will then decide if he's made a clear and obvious error. 

We've all been saying this since the start but managers should have X amount of challenges, that clears all of this up.

I'd not be against a VAR+ for these challenges. So when a manager makes a challenge, it goes to a different VAR ref who's not involved in that game. 

Football is up its own arse…it could learn so much from cricket and rugby, especially where they tweaked things through their own learning process over time.  Insecurity over their own ref standards imho.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's not really a fair comparison. Cricket and tennis are clear cut decision more in line with goal line technology which works 99.9% of the time. Rugby is similar but is still down to the referee's interpretation and can be controversial, the main difference is rugby people are traditionally less critical of the referee's.

That's because rugby referees are treated with respect by the players, and the referee's decisions are accepted without arguement. I'm sure that rubs off on the spectators and referees get less criticism as a result.

As far as the use of VAR in football, I thought it was supposed to correct clear and obvious errors.

I don't see it as a clear and obvious error when a player is given offside because his toe is in an offside position.

?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Football is up its own arse…it could learn so much from cricket and rugby, especially where they tweaked things through their own learning process over time.  Insecurity over their own ref standards imho.

I think VAR for refs in football is also much tougher, for example, 50% still say we should have had a penalty Tuesday and 50% don’t so it’s still down to perception. The fact it’s being used for the silliest of decisions is where issues lie 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Var agreed it was a pen. 

I stick by my statement of a few weeks back, referees are not 100% sure what is really a  penalty, we need VAR in Championship 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I think VAR for refs in football is also much tougher, for example, 50% still say we should have had a penalty Tuesday and 50% don’t so it’s still down to perception. The fact it’s being used for the silliest of decisions is where issues lie 

Which is why only certain things should be included in VAR.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Var agreed it was a pen. 

Oh a var conspiracy theory 

15 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

I stick by my statement of a few weeks back, referees are not 100% sure what is really a  penalty, we need VAR in Championship 

But if referees are not 100% sure what is really a penalty how does VAR help? VAR is only the opinion of another ref!!!

4 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Yes var is a good idea. But football must learn from how other sports use it. The communication between ref. And var person needs to be audible to the crowd and the screens Var is useing on the big screens. Ref. And var person need to be transparent at the time it is being dealt with . And yes refs seem to common in inconsistent decision making and generally bring total crap as referees 

In rugby the ref will ask if there has there been any infringement or is there any reason he shouldn't award a try and the telly ref will look and let the ref know. All this is transmitted to the stadium.

In football does the ref ask var to check anything or is it the other way round? Sometimes goals seem to cleared when there's been an obvious offside or foul and others when they start with one possibility and then work their way through the book in an attempt to deny a goal. The latter seems to happen alot when one of the "big" clubs may have conceded!

14 hours ago, Rob k said:

VAR is irritating in the fact that used correctly it could make the game better, the issue being that there is no consistency in it at all.  If there is an incident and the reviewing team on the screens can see a clear decision should be made then they should be able to ping the referees watch so he can halt play and review it, as it is the referees just don't use it when it's needed.