IGNORED

VAR again

Rob k

3 hours ago, Super said:

The Wells one was outside the box for the 1000th time...

I never said it was. 
I referred to the incident with Wells. A penalty was given yesterday for a very similar incident, but we didn’t even get a free kick 

1 hour ago, Red-Al said:

I stick by my statement of a few weeks back, referees are not 100% sure what is really a  penalty, we need VAR in Championship 

If they aren’t 100% sure what a penalty is they they need to receive further training. 
A ref not knowing what a penalty is, is not rectified by introducing Var 

58 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Oh a var conspiracy theory 

You got it 

Seems obvious right. The old problem reaction solution scenario. 

Create a problem - refs don’t know what a penalty is!

Await reaction - refs are crap, they need help. 

Offer solution - hey, here’s VAR. You asked for it. 

• Haha 1

I still find it odd that any football fan would want VAR, football is supposed to be fun FFS. It holds up the game, takes away any instant thrill of a goal and week after week comes up with decisions that people cant agree on!

Anyone see the penalty awarded against Celtic yesterday btw? How the **** that's a penalty I will never know. **** VAR, I honestly think that if it comes in at Rovers level, that's me done with live football. Although I will probably go to a few games in our first season in the Premier League # we'recoming for you :)

20 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I still find it odd that any football fan would want VAR, football is supposed to be fun FFS. It holds up the game, takes away any instant thrill of a goal and week after week comes up with decisions that people cant agree on!

Anyone see the penalty awarded against Celtic yesterday btw? How the **** that's a penalty I will never know. **** VAR, I honestly think that if it comes in at Rovers level, that's me done with live football. Although I will probably go to a few games in our first season in the Premier League # we'recoming for you :)

Might not be so many penalties or sendings off in your matches? ?

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Take a look at this one at 1m 25, the ref has gone to the monitor and still given a pen - quite clearly a massive dive yet the refs given it - unreal 

Edited by Rob k

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The Celtic one is interesting because for me it highlights one of the massive issues at the moment - and that's the laws surrounding handball. This in combination with slow-mo VAR replays is leading to some really harsh decisions.

The big thing now with handball seems to be 'the silhouette' of the player - which I understand in theory, that if a player is making themselves bigger with their arms out from their body in a deliberate manner, then it should be penalised - however the addendum of 'natural position' just seems to be completely ignored or misinterpreted. For the current lawmakers and officials, anything other than the arms/hands down by a player's side, regardless of what action he is performing, or what position his body is in, means it is an 'unnatural position' - which is just total nonsense.

I think anyone that has played any sort of football knows that if you are running, or jumping, then your arms will move - and for me being penalised for handball (and booked!), when a ball is headed at your arm from a couple of yards, while your arms are swinging naturally from attempting a header, and while you are facing the other way - is a major fault in the current rules. If you look at the Dundee Utd attacker right next to the Celtic player, he's also attempted a header and his arms are in exactly the same position!

10 hours ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

The Celtic one is interesting because for me it highlights one of the massive issues at the moment - and that's the laws surrounding handball. This in combination with slow-mo VAR replays is leading to some really harsh decisions.

The big thing now with handball seems to be 'the silhouette' of the player - which I understand in theory, that if a player is making themselves bigger with their arms out from their body in a deliberate manner, then it should be penalised - however the addendum of 'natural position' just seems to be completely ignored or misinterpreted. For the current lawmakers and officials, anything other than the arms/hands down by a player's side, regardless of what action he is performing, or what position his body is in, means it is an 'unnatural position' - which is just total nonsense.

I think anyone that has played any sort of football knows that if you are running, or jumping, then your arms will move - and for me being penalised for handball (and booked!), when a ball is headed at your arm from a couple of yards, while your arms are swinging naturally from attempting a header, and while you are facing the other way - is a major fault in the current rules. If you look at the Dundee Utd attacker right next to the Celtic player, he's also attempted a header and his arms are in exactly the same position!

I agree with everything you say. I would add that those who make the games laws should try and keep in mind why the laws are there, which is primarily to stop cheating. The Celtic player clearing wasn't cheating or trying to gain an advantage, yet the referees  interpretation of the laws has seen him penalised and booked. There are those that will argue it is a penalty ( the pundits on Sportscene did) , but should refs be giving penalties for situations like that? I dont think they should.

• Like 1

VAR should be a good thing but the implementation is very messy. You can have a goal ruled out for a very minor offside or incident yet a goal scored directly from an incorrectly awarded corner (which we can all see is incorrect seconds after on a replay) is not looked at in anyway. That's before you get into the threshold piece. The main thing it needs is to be quicker, especially in play, so that the VAR official can quickly inform the ref if they've gotten something wrong and stop the huge delay after goals. I'm amazed this isn't already the case with the technology available. 

It has got some positives, it's improved decision making overall - which just shows given the anger over it how bad refereeing was pre-VAR. 

23 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

That's not really a fair comparison. Cricket and tennis are clear cut decision more in line with goal line technology which works 99.9% of the time. Rugby is similar but is still down to the referee's interpretation and can be controversial, the main difference is rugby people are traditionally less critical of the referee's.

No, the main difference is that all of the match officials discuss (4 in total) and reach a consensus to make a decision. That removes individual interpretation from the matter entirely.

There are still controversial decisions, but they are far, far less common than in football.

Edited by Kykoliko