IGNORED

What's the point?

Curr Avon

All those posters calling for Pearson's removal, I ask you simply. What. Is. The. Point?

As painful as it is, losing ineptly to a mid-table League 1 club, Pearson's position won't be under threat unless we're cast adrift in the relegation zone of the bread and butter, Championship.

Better times lie ahead with our burgeoning Academy, but it will demand patience.

We'll be safe come the end of this season and with more big earners cleared out, combined with savvy recruitment the club can build a tight knit squad to challenge in 2023/24.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

All those posters calling for Pearson's removal, I ask you simply. What. Is. The. Point?

As painful as it is, losing ineptly to a mid-table League 1 club, Pearson's position won't be under threat unless we're cast adrift in the relegation zone of the bread and butter, Championship.

Better times lie ahead with our burgeoning Academy, but it will demand patience.

We'll be safe come the end of this season and with more big earners cleared out, combined with savvy recruitment the club can build a tight knit squad to challenge in 2023/24.

I think that is where we are heading. The calamitous defending that has typified most of the City teams he has selected , he seems incapable of stopping. 

9 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

I would say stick with him for now but don’t you think it would be nice to see a team that can defend a set piece? 

9 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

You think safety this season is a foregone conclusion and that we we will challenge next season...?! 

Challenge for what...? League 1 mid-table obscurity....?! 

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Oh come on I've been hearing the we can rebuild and challenge next year bullshit every year since longer than I care to remember, and as for what is the point well why not? whatever the excuses that keep being trotted out if we carry on like this relegation looks a very likely scenario, personally I would at least like us to try something different it is broke and I would like us to at least try and fix it and before anyone inevitably says well who else I don't know who but surely there is somebody out there who could do better because they could hardly do much worse could they.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pillred said:

Oh come on I've been hearing the we can rebuild and challenge next year bullshit every year since longer than I care to remember, and as for what is the point well why not? whatever the excuses that keep being trotted out if we carry on like this relegation looks a very likely scenario, personally I would at least like us to try something different it is broke and I would like us to at least try and fix it and before anyone inevitably says well who else I don't know who but surely there is somebody out there who could do better because they could hardly do much worse could they.

Yep. And let's be honest, anyone decent who comes out our 'burgeoning academy' gets sold within 1-2 seasons, only for the money to be wasted

• Like 2

I’m a supporter of Pearson but don’t agree with the OP at all.

If we were comprehensively beaten on Saturday then I think he’d be under huge pressure, especially as we then have a 4 week break to make a change if we wanted.

Last night isn’t important in the scheme of things but as part of an indicative direction of travel it is going to be a factor if Saturday goes badly.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I’m a supporter of Pearson but don’t agree with the OP at all.

If we were comprehensively beaten on Saturday then I think he’d be under huge pressure, especially as we then have a 4 week break to make a change if we wanted.

Last night isn’t important in the scheme of things but as part of an indicative direction of travel it is going to be a factor if Saturday goes badly.

The WC break and the Jan window approaching could be seen as a perfect opportunity to change the manager, if that's what we are considering.

It doesn't make Pearson a good or bad manager, their job is very short stay on the whole. Football clubs are pretty unstable throughout regarding staff. It's just a case he might not be what we need now. I doubt he's enjoying life much either, but it's probably just a job for him. He has no real emotional attachment to the club that we all have.

Yes he has worked under restrictions, but unlike some clubs he has talent at his disposal and has been allowed to recruit. Last night our more senior Pros let down the younger players, but it's deeper than last night. I don't think he gets the best out of his players often enough.

Lastly. I understand how the financial mess has had long term negative impact on us. But as a fan I am getting increasingly bitter and frustrated on how it was allowed to happen, did no one ask questions. Did Ashton not have to answer to anyone? Shocking. Also I am totally fed up as a fan for being 'penalised' for this, none of this was our fault or doing and we can't have the football club we want due to past employees gross errors.

Financially we have lost out on a potentially rewarding tie. Gates have been fairly decent this season. What happens if they start falling off a cliff. Granted ST sells have propped things up, but things could still be worse financially, especially if going to a match becomes even more of a choice.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

We'll be safe come the end of this season

I’m sorry what are you basing this on exactly? West Brom won’t be relegated. They will sort it out. We’re in VERY big danger of getting relegated. We’ve been dragged right in to it, which is no surprise. I’d say it’s very much 50/50 for us now, so please stop with this foolish “we’ll be safe” because it’s a load of old shit, much like the current team from staff to players. 

• Like 3

Genuine Question, Is this something you would trust him with?  I'm not sure i would, do you honestly think the signings hes made have been good? Im not giving him Baker & Weimann as they didn't actually leave the club.

Naismith - has gotten much better since hes been out of the side and cost a lot of points when playing, better in the attacking sense than defending.

Atkinson - looks to be a good player at times but goes through pretty poor patches

Wilson - Wasn't given a sniff before his injury

Tanner - Looked ok in patches, another who got a lot better the less he played!!

Klose - Legs have completely gone 

Sykes - Looks exactly what he is, a free signing from league 1!

James - His best signing by a distance

King - Being polite, very poor especially as a 'leader'

Bajic - For the future, can't judge

The club has a massive decision to make and quickly.  If they back Pearson they have to extend his contract beyond the end of next season.  This summer is the perfect opportunity to reset and build again, you need somebody in charge who is in for the long term project.  Where is the sense in allowing him to reshape the squad how he'd like, if he or the club don't see him here after that season, for a new manager to come in and be stuck with Pearsons squad, with players all on 2/3 year contracts, completely counter productive.  If they don't see him being in place after next season, pull the plug now get the new guy in during the 4 week break, mini preseason so he can assess what he likes/ doesn't, ready for the big clear out in the summer.

49 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

I’ve pretty much heard the same thing for a few seasons now …and what’s changed? …:yawn:

Because for one, FFP still overhangs us majorly, a £28m loss last year (how??) and I'm actually surprised that we seem to be likely to avoid sanctions in all honesty.

A lot of the high earners still in contract, we literally have to try to work through with what we have as it stands. This season, look at who is out of contract...

Bentley

Kalas

DaSilva

Wells

Martin

To name 5, there are many more as well but these are some of our most expensive players.

Think 14 might be out of contract in total.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Remember to state your views on the Pod Mark

I applaud you for eventually doing so a couple back when you politely put the interrupter back in his box , and continued with your point ?? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RedM said:

Lastly. I understand how the financial mess has had long term negative impact on us. But as a fan I am getting increasingly bitter and frustrated on how it was allowed to happen, did no one ask questions. Did Ashton not have to answer to anyone? Shocking. Also I am totally fed up as a fan for being 'penalised' for this, none of this was our fault or doing and we can't have the football club we want due to past employees gross errors.

Also a huge gripe of mine.

SL - how’s it going Jon?

JL - Mark says it’s going great

SL - great, you’re doing well Jon

i joke, but I’m staggered an accountant couldn’t see the mess / mess building up.

8 hours ago, Hazelboy said:

Naismith - has gotten much better since hes been out of the side and cost a lot of points when playing, better in the attacking sense than defending.

Are you saying you think we’ve been better since he’s been out?  Or am I misreading it?  I couldn’t disagree more.

• Like 3

Good evening chaps, my word don’t emotions run high this evening…

A little bit of perspective one thinks…

If, and it is a big if, Nigel were to leave, do you really think things would improve ? Really ?

Better the devil you know at this point in time. We have a reasonable first 11, and a poor subs bench. Not Nigel’s fault, not in the least. The blame goes far higher up the management scale I’m afraid.

After 12 games the situation may look terrible, but I believe in Mr P. If anyone can, he can…well let’s hope so anyway ?

image.png

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are you saying you think we’ve been better since he’s been out?  Or am I misreading it?  I couldn’t disagree more.

No, not at all. I just think, similar to Tanner last season, that as he’s out of the team people are thinking he’s way better than he is. People were begging for him to be dropped before he was injured because of his persistent errors, now these same people are acting as though he’s Rio Ferdinand!

Thats not to say he’s not been missed, in my opinion he has, but the defence was still shit with him in it! 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

10 minutes ago, Hazelboy said:

No, not at all. I just think, similar to Tanner last season, that as he’s out of the team people are thinking he’s way better than he is. People were begging for him to be dropped before he was injured because of his persistent errors, now these same people are acting as though he’s Rio Ferdinand!

Thats not to say he’s not been missed, in my opinion he has, but the defence was still shit with him in it! 

There were errors but data would be interesting to see.

Clearly stats aren't all, but the intangible of the extra attacking threat (in mindset not numbers as such) for us, which in turn gives the opposition something to think about can't be understated IMO.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There were errors but data would be interesting to see.

Clearly stats aren't all, but the intangible of the extra attacking threat (in mindset not numbers as such) for us, which in turn gives the opposition something to think about can't be understated IMO.

Where has this myth that Naismith gave us an "extra attacking threat" come from?

He doesn't come forward like Atkinson and his long passing is just average. He can pass short (though tends to prefer a Cruyff turn on the edge of the penalty box giving away goals) just like Klose....

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

Well one baseline stat pertaining to Naismith is...League games only.

11.30 shots per game when he is on the pitch.

9.06 shots per game when he is off the pitch.

Up to and including 1st half Coventry at home for period 1, from 2nd half Coventry at home to present for period 2.

He just gives us that extra thrust, dimension IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2