IGNORED

England World Cup squad announcement

Will b11

6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Do you think the rankings are accurate?

Define accurate? Iran have only lost 2 games since 2019, they're no mugs (although I imagine like our qualifying, it's arguable what the quality of opposition is, I note they won one game 14-0!)

The problem is teams don't play enough across continents for the rankings to have a purpose when comparing say Iran to Italy (who sit in 6th).

31 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Goes for Pickford too, guy is a different player for England but often poor for Everton. 

He is no way "often poor" for Everton

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Define accurate? Iran have only lost 2 games since 2019, they're no mugs (although I imagine like our qualifying, it's arguable what the quality of opposition is, I note they won one game 14-0!)

The problem is teams don't play enough across continents for the rankings to have a purpose when comparing say Iran to Italy (who sit in 6th).

A fair representation to their squads abilities compared to other nations?

For example, Hungary are 36th and have wins and draws against some very highly ranked nations in the last few years.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

In fairness i would like to see a list of teams they have played. I'm guessing they aren't that great.

It’s a tougher group than a lot are thinking. And if england play like they have lately it’ll be tough to get out of. That first game is a must win I think. USA we always find hard to beat and then wales gave us a tough game in 2016. Have to hope we find the sort of form we had for knockout stages at euro.

On the squad - I’m not sure why Connor Gallagher goes but at least Maddison is. Wilson is a gamble. 

Edited by Alex_BCFC

I've already stated I don't think we'll get out of the group and I haven't changed my mind with this squad. Ridiculous that Tomori is not included while Maguire is. We are short of a proper left back option as its not where Trippier should play, and in the absence of Chilwell I'd have brought Creswell back. Ward-Prowse should have been ahead of Conor Gallagher but England always take a youngster that doesn't play so perhaps that's his role. 

Edited by RoystonFoote'snephew
Added content
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

He’s rarely poor for Everton. Had a dodgy spell a couple years ago where he made a couple of mistakes but their fans think he’s brilliant. He won their player of the year last season by the way. 

He is always class for England though. You see a big drop off in standards whenever any other keeper comes in I reckon. 

28 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Fair enough I made a poor statement there, but I meant more during last tournament he wasn't great for Everton from what I heard fans say, but a beast for England. He was dropped and the fans I knew were happy. Between the WC and Euros he made the most goalkeeping mistakes which lead to goals in the prem. 

Didn't know he was player of the year last season, fairplay to him ? Happy to be corrected, "often poor" doesnt fit him now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Happy with that. Think I'll start to really feel the WC hype after Watford, that has all my attention at the mo!

I'm really really hoping we win Sat, and you know what? what is the last thing all the pundits and so called experts and if we are honest most of us on here expect? and yes  we will do the exact opposite because that's what we do.

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I've already stated I don't think we'll get out of the group and I haven't changed my mind with this squad. Ridiculous that Tomori is not included while Maguire is. We are short of a proper left back option as its not where Trippier should play, and in the absence of Chilwell I'd have brought Creswell back. Ward-Prowse should have been ahead of Conor Gallagher but England always take a youngster that doesn't play so perhaps that's his role. 

Tomori is having an average season and was a shambles in the two CL games against Chelsea. At fault for a goal at Stamford Bridge then got an early bath in the second leg whilst giving away a penalty in the process. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Tomori is having an average season and was a shambles in the two CL games against Chelsea. At fault for a goal at Stamford Bridge then got an early bath in the second leg whilst giving away a penalty in the process. 

So, in a big game had a nightmare and looked out of his depth?

But, he had a cracking game against Spezia..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If he is picking on form, Sterling, Phillips and Maguire shouldnt be going.

It's a 26 player squad for a World Cup Finals.  It lasts 5 weeks.  It's not the pro bowl.  If a player has proven tournament experience, they should be picked. Form comes in when you're talking about back ups - Toney, Wilson etc.  Wilson is on fire and he has experience.

Do you really think Tomori is up to a WC QF vs Argentina or France in 4 weeks' time?? He looked shocking v Chelsea in the Champions League

That is different to should they start.  To my mind Phillips' role will be defensive sub.  Bring him on if we're winning and want to close the game out and cover Rice and Bellingham with Injuries /suspension.  

Sterling is one of 6 attacking midfielders/10s/ wingers.  He is down the list there for certain and might benefit coming off the bench.

The back 3 is a huge worry.  Hopefully Walker has been protected by Pep. At the Euros, Maguire was injured at the beginning and Mings played before Maguire played in the last group game.  Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar with Walker.  We could go to a 4.  Shaw, Trippier, Walker, TTA and White are possibly stronger as FBs in a 4 which would leave 2 of Dier, Stones, Coady and Maguire.

Thing with Maguire is he is the only real left sided CB in a 3.  The others either favour the right or the middle.  If we play a back 3, he's going to start.  The squad selection makes this clear.

• Like 1

I do think there's some misunderstanding over how these squads are put together. Southgate obviously trusts them and it's naive to think that club form should be the only consideration when being picked. Every country there will have players who are picked no matter what because the manager trusts them.

You need a consistent spine. It would do no good to suddenly swap out the keeper, centre backs and midfield right before a tournament, because of injuries/lack of club form. Always space for a last minute call up of course, but guaranteed they won't play straight away.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MarcusX said:

17 hours ago, DaveF said:

A fair representation to their squads abilities compared to other nations?

For example, Hungary are 36th and have wins and draws against some very highly ranked nations in the last few years.

The ranking are a very rough guide - but you have to apply 'reasonable' sense to them.

So for example;

Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Cameroon.

Who would you rather play? Wales, USA, Iran or Serbia?

Serbia are the lowest ranked - but you can't seriously tell me you'd rather play them than the others. Their recent competitive results are excellent.

Switzerland are obviously a lot better than anyone else in our group.

Another group contains Spain, Germany and Japan - Japan who no one would argue are worse than Iran, other than world rankings!

Common sense would tell you England do not have the hardest group. It's probably not as easy as people thought it was when it was drawn out, as the teams in it have done well obviously and boosted their ranking, but it's certainly not the hardest.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

It's a 26 player squad for a World Cup Finals.  It lasts 5 weeks.  It's not the pro bowl.  If a player has proven tournament experience, they should be picked. Form comes in when you're talking about back ups - Toney, Wilson etc.  Wilson is on fire and he has experience.

Do you really think Tomori is up to a WC QF vs Argentina or France in 4 weeks' time?? He looked shocking v Chelsea in the Champions League

That is different to should they start.  To my mind Phillips' role will be defensive sub.  Bring him on if we're winning and want to close the game out and cover Rice and Bellingham with Injuries /suspension.  

Sterling is one of 6 attacking midfielders/10s/ wingers.  He is down the list there for certain and might benefit coming off the bench.

The back 3 is a huge worry.  Hopefully Walker has been protected by Pep. At the Euros, Maguire was injured at the beginning and Mings played before Maguire played in the last group game.  Wouldn't be surprised to see something similar with Walker.  We could go to a 4.  Shaw, Trippier, Walker, TTA and White are possibly stronger as FBs in a 4 which would leave 2 of Dier, Stones, Coady and Maguire.

Thing with Maguire is he is the only real left sided CB in a 3.  The others either favour the right or the middle.  If we play a back 3, he's going to start.  The squad selection makes this clear.

What's the pro bowl? 

20 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Iran also managed by Carlos Queiroz who knows the English game very well whilst being assistant to Ferguson at Man United. He will set them up to frustrate us. We struggled against Tunisia in 2018 with those types of tactics.
In the last World cup in a group containing Spain, Portugal and Morocco they gained 4 points, whilst being knocked out and arguably the weakest football nation in that group that's a solid return from them. They are no mugs and will be a tough nut to crack I think.

1 minute ago, Super said:

No photo description available.

Apart from showing how zero of these England players come from the West Country, that chart also contains some corking team names.

Phil Foden's Reddish Vulcans sound out of this world, while Mason Mount's Boarhunt Rovers surely has a BRFC joke in there. Callum Wilson (Christ The King) seems to have a rather inflated opinion of himself! :laugh:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

Apart from showing how zero of these England players come from the West Country, that chart also contains some corking team names.

Phil Foden's Reddish Vulcans sound out of this world, while Mason Mount's Boarhunt Rovers surely has a BRFC joke in there. Callum Wilson (Christ The King) seems to have a rather inflated opinion of himself! :laugh:

I like the Washington Envelopes!

• Like 2

I see that our first match is on 10th December whereas the Premier league don't play again til boxing day!  Are they that certain that so many of their players will  be involved in that last week up to 18th that no premier league matches can be played? Or is this more to do with television schedules?