IGNORED

England World Cup squad announcement

Will b11

2 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

He’s just as out of form as any this season 

True of many of our centre-backs, though. To my mind, the main argument for Tomori is that - with the exception of Walker (who is primarily a full-back and also recovering from injury - most of our centre-back options lack pace. In that sense, Tomori presents a different tactical option in the squad whereas I feel Maguire is both out of form and a relatively similar defender to some of our other defenders who have a stronger argument based on form. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

To be fair (and I’m not saying Tomori should go) he suffers from being out of sight, out of mind. Similarly the number of peoples squads Abraham has been left out from. Although the PL is top league in Europe, Italy is probably equal third and it’s a reasonable question to ask if their champions first choice CB should be in the squad.

Just pure ignorance though isn’t it but unsurprising really as many people in this country do genuinely believe the Premier league is the only league in the world the exists.

What you hope and expect is that the man who gets paid millions of pounds a year to run the national team is looking and keeping tabs on players playing abroad, because if he is then it’s absolutely baffling if one or both of Tomori or Smalling is left out IMO.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bris Red said:

Just pure ignorance though isn’t it but unsurprising really as many people in this country do genuinely believe the Premier league is the only league in the world the exists.

What you hope and expect is that the man who gets paid millions of pounds a year to run the national team is looking and keeping tabs on players playing abroad, because if he is then it’s absolutely baffling if one or both of Tomori or Smalling is left out IMO.

I don't mean to sound negative but it will come across this way. It's the media who are to blame for this, they rarely discuss foreign league's and our player's in these Leagues so the casual fan isn't really aware unless they do their own research. 
As for England as a squad, I don't believe we are as good as our Media hype will make us out to be. We have 2 or 3 good players but not anywhere near enough to really take a tournament by the scruff of the neck and beat every team in sight. When I look at our defenders that we have and compare it to 15 years ago, absolutely none of them would have got in the entire squad let alone the team. We just aren't as good as what the National media will make us out to be and every other Country will fancy their chances against us right now I think.

Realistically England should be looking to get through the group and Quarter finals will be the ceiling this time around at the very best. However it is exciting to see young talents like Bellingham and Saka come through who I believe are genuinely top prospects for the next 10 years.

8 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

I watched Tomori in a CL game this season and he was embarrassed (may have been Chelsea) obviously only one game but the worry must be there that he's not top level.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I don't mean to sound negative but it will come across this way. It's the media who are to blame for this, they rarely discuss foreign league's and our player's in these Leagues so the casual fan isn't really aware unless they do their own research. 
As for England as a squad, I don't believe we are as good as our Media hype will make us out to be. We have 2 or 3 good players but not anywhere near enough to really take a tournament by the scruff of the neck and beat every team in sight. When I look at our defenders that we have and compare it to 15 years ago, absolutely none of them would have got in the entire squad let alone the team. We just aren't as good as what the National media will make us out to be and every other Country will fancy their chances against us right now I think.

Realistically England should be looking to get through the group and Quarter finals will be the ceiling this time around at the very best. However it is exciting to see young talents like Bellingham and Saka come through who I believe are genuinely top prospects for the next 10 years.

I think quarters is minimum here - England should win the group, then assuming Holland win Group A the last 16 tie is totally winnable.

I think that’s probably our limit though.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

I'd take Ward  Prowse for the inevitable penalty shoot outs.............and set pieces?  Ha!

He's got to be on the pitch to take set pieces tho. He won't start ahead of Rice, Bellingham and possibly Phillips and Henderson, so he will likely have very limited opportunities to show off his free kicking abilities

3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

That would be surprisingly as we probably have the easiest group.

Pretty sure I read we actually have the hardest group, based on world rankings 

Edit, here goes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/sport/20023331/world-cup-groups-ranked-england-toughest/amp/

Edited by cidercity1987

1 minute ago, DaveF said:

That would be surprisingly as we probably have the easiest group.

I don't think USA, Iran or Wales are mugs at all. Iran drew with Portugal in 2018 and have recently beat Uruguay in a friendly. USA and particularly Wales will raise their game to play us.

It's a banana skin and not a given. We have seen with England in the past that they can choke against 'less fancied' Nations.

• Like 1

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Pretty sure I read we actually have the hardest group, based on world rankings 

Correct. Iran lowest placed at 22nd in the world, Wales 19th, USA 14th, us 5th. Averages 15th.

Next lowest would be E, Spain 6th, Germany 11th, Japan 24th, Costa Rica 34th. Averages 19th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Correct. Iran lowest placed at 22nd in the world, Wales 19th, USA 14th, us 5th. Averages 15th.

Next lowest would be E, Spain 6th, Germany 11th, Japan 24th, Costa Rica 34th. Averages 19th.

Hungary are ranked 36th and look at some of their reasonably recent results.

The rankings aren't that reliable.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Be hugely disappointed if Mings makes it. He's awful in my opinion and we have at least 10 better centre backs

Never understand why he gets picked. Constantly crabbing backwards and sideways across the pitch. If he can make it, then Webster must be in with half a chance, along with Dan Burn & Ben White.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

If it was my picks:

Goalkeepers:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale

Defenders:

Tripper, Walker, Shaw, Sessegnon, Stones, Dier, Tomori, White, Coady, Gomez

Midfield

Bellingham, Rice, Phillips, Loftus-Cheek, Mount,

Forwards

Kane, Wilson, Rashford, Sterling, Foden, Saka, Maddison, Grealish

I don't think he's ready yet

39 minutes ago, Bas's perfect hattrick said:

He's got to be on the pitch to take set pieces tho. He won't start ahead of Rice, Bellingham and possibly Phillips and Henderson, so he will likely have very limited opportunities to show off his free kicking abilities

If we are drawing with 20 minutes to go, I believe he is a great asset from the bench.   And if it remains a draw he is great on penalties.

• Like 1

With the current form of England with that bottler still in charge who is still picking "names" instead of who is in form and deserving of a place I can't see England getting out of the group.

Because of the extreme heat, current loss of form and the general apathy towards the event being held in the footballing hotbed that is Qatar I can see a loss to Iran and a draw with Wales & USA.

Every day there is some form of bad press about bribery or human rights and now the FIFA president at that time, Blatter has now come out and said it shouldn't have been awarded to Qatar.

All very distasteful.

Before I get shot down at not being patriotic we play a high intensity pressing game. We will not be able to sustain that in those searing temperatures whereas countries such as Iran may well be more suited to that type of extreme weather.

1 minute ago, Swede said:

With the current form of England with that bottler still in charge who is still picking "names" instead of who is in form and deserving of a place I can't see England getting out of the group.

Because of the extreme heat, current loss of form and the general apathy towards the event being held in the footballing hotbed that is Qatar I can see a loss to Iran and a draw with Wales & USA.

Every day there is some form of bad press about bribery or human rights and now the FIFA president at that time, Blatter has now come out and said it shouldn't have been awarded to Qatar.

All very distasteful.

Before I get shot down at not being patriotic we play a high intensity pressing game. We will not be able to sustain that in those searing temperatures whereas countries such as Iran may well be more suited to that type of extreme weather.

What English players are in such good form at the moment and deserving of a place? He has brought in Maddison, Wilson, Ben White who are all in good form, we don't have the strength in depth to replace other players and as much as swapping Maguire for a Webster/Ben Mee is isn't likely to happen.