IGNORED

England World Cup squad announcement

Will b11

Thought I’d start a thread on this as I can’t see any other one on it, 2pm it’s getting announced. This would be my 26 man squad.

goalkeepers - Pickford , pope , ramsdale 

defenders - Trent, walker, trippier, Shaw, stones, maguire, dier, coady,  white 

midfielders - rice , Bellingham , mount , Henderson , Maddison , Philips 

attackers - Kane, Toney , Wilson , sterling , foden , grealish , rashford , saka 

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maguire doesn't deserve to go imo. I can see why we'll take him but his performances haven't been good enough to warrant a place at the world Cup. 

Dunk and Webster should be ahead of him but clueless Southgate doesn’t have the imagination for that sort of decision 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

51 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Thought I’d start a thread on this as I can’t see any other one on it, 2pm it’s getting announced. This would be my 26 man squad.

attackers - Kane, Toney , Wilson , sterling , foden , grealish , rashford , saka 

I reckon you can take Toney out of that and put in another defender, as replacement for Reece James - possibly Mitchell, but maybe Tomori. 
Can’t see him picking Maddison. He should, of course, but Southgate is a stubborn git and I think he’ll leave him out. 
This is the final spot - I’d say it’s between Ward-Prowse, Gallagher and Maddison. 
Maddison should be the choice, but I can see him going for Ward-Prowse 

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Maguire doesn't deserve to go imo. I can see why we'll take him but his performances haven't been good enough to warrant a place at the world Cup. 

I’d take Chris Smalling over Maguire, he has been an ever present in Roma’s defence over the past few seasons and has really impressed over there by all accounts.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Will b11 said:

No Gomez...No Tammy Abraham?.........Personally i wouldn't have Toney or Sterling. Guess will find out a 2.00?

6 minutes ago, !james said:

Some bits leaking... Assume this means Wilson is in.... He also says unsure on Maddison but no places for Tomori, Guehi, Abraham.

I like Wilson but the guy is always injured.

2 minutes ago, maxjak said:

That would be a shame.........but he is still young?

26 in a few weeks.

57 minutes ago, Harry said:

I reckon you can take Toney out of that and put in another defender, as replacement for Reece James - possibly Mitchell, but maybe Tomori. 
Can’t see him picking Maddison. He should, of course, but Southgate is a stubborn git and I think he’ll leave him out. 
This is the final spot - I’d say it’s between Ward-Prowse, Gallagher and Maddison. 
Maddison should be the choice, but I can see him going for Ward-Prowse 

I'd take Ward  Prowse for the inevitable penalty shoot outs.............and set pieces?  Ha!

21 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If he is picking on form, Sterling, Phillips and Maguire shouldnt be going.

Problem is that International football is very different

You have to find a balance, it's ok picking players on form for their club - confidence is a big thing and if players are playing well then that should be a boost for them

However, you also need players who are "in-form" for England. The Pope / Pickford is a prime example. Pope was poor when called up despite his club performances. Pickford has very rarely let England down and would be my number 1 until such point he does. Ramsdale probably a little unlucky not to get game time last month.

I can't believe Toney wasn't given any minutes in the Nations League games. I can only think Gareth didn't see enough of him from training but still, they were pratically dead rubber games.

I really can't pick a team / system at the moment, partly because I don't think even GS seems to know his strongest setup. I'm sure I'll be more excited next weekend but at the minute I've got 2010/2012 levels of concern as opposed to the excitement of 2018/2020(1)

Not helped by some key players missing or doubtful over injury

I guess my squad would be something like:

Pickford, Pope, Ramsdale

Shaw, Stones, White, Maguire, Dier, Trippier, Coady, Tomori

Madison, Rice, Bellingham, Henderson, Mount, Phillips, Grealish, Loftus Cheek

Kane, Sterling, Bowen, Foden, Saka, Toney, Sancho

It looks very weak in the wing back areas if we're playing that system

Pickford

Trippier, White, Stones, Maguire, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham

Foden

Kane Sterling

Or 4 at the back

Pickford

Trippier, Stones, Maguire, Shaw

Rice, Bellingham

Saka Foden Sterling

Kane

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Twitter will be unbearable today. The amount of hipsters who will cry over Tomori not going yet never having seen him play will be sky high 

To be fair (and I’m not saying Tomori should go) he suffers from being out of sight, out of mind. Similarly the number of peoples squads Abraham has been left out from. Although the PL is top league in Europe, Italy is probably equal third and it’s a reasonable question to ask if their champions first choice CB should be in the squad.

• Like 1