IGNORED

England World Cup squad announcement

Will b11

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Doesn't matter who goes, we won't get out of the group. 

I'd normally question such an attitude, but I fear for this one.

It's outside of Europe, climate will play it's part and give Iran a hope. They got a good result against uruguay, they aren't to be taken lightly

USA reminds me of 2010? The Rob Green clanger. If we go into the Wales game needing a result anything could happen.

57 minutes ago, Super said:

We will certainly get out of the group.

It's by no means a certainty.

54 minutes ago, DaveF said:

That would be surprisingly as we probably have the easiest group.

No, we don't. We have the toughest by rankings

England’s 26-man World Cup squad in full…

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), Nick Pope (Newcastle).

Defenders: Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Kyle Walker (Man City), Benjamin White (Arsenal), Harry Maguire (Man Utd), John Stones (Man City), Eric Dier (Tottenham), Conor Coady (Everton, on loan from Wolves), Luke Shaw (Man Utd).

Midfielders: Declan Rice (West Ham), Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Kalvin Phillips (Man City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Mason Mount (Chelsea).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham), Callum Wilson (Newcastle), Marcus Rashford (Man Utd), Raheem Sterling (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Phil Foden (Man City), Jack Grealish (Man City), James Maddison (Leicester City).

4 hours ago, Will b11 said:

Thought I’d start a thread on this as I can’t see any other one on it, 2pm it’s getting announced. This would be my 26 man squad.

goalkeepers - Pickford , pope , ramsdale 

defenders - Trent, walker, trippier, Shaw, stones, maguire, dier, coady,  white 

midfielders - rice , Bellingham , mount , Henderson , Maddison , Philips 

attackers - Kane, Toney , Wilson , sterling , foden , grealish , rashford , saka 

Great picking..........well done!!........Are u sure you are not related To GS?  PS.  Just noticed u didn't get Gallagher, but you are allowed one!?

Edited by maxjak

I thought Walker was injured and likely to miss the tournament so i didn't include him, otherwise just Trent in for Tomori from my guess
Gallagher (forgot about him, wasnt on the squad selector I used!) instead of Ruben-Cheek
No Sancho or Bowen, Wilson & Rashford instead

Don't think there's any real suprises there based on the last few team selections.

It's hardly awe-inspiring, but then we've not left out any shockers IMO just unproven hopefuls.

This was the World Cup that the FA targeted to win. Lets hope he pulls the handbrake off

4 hours ago, Will b11 said:

Thought I’d start a thread on this as I can’t see any other one on it, 2pm it’s getting announced. This would be my 26 man squad.

goalkeepers - Pickford , pope , ramsdale 

defenders - Trent, walker, trippier, Shaw, stones, maguire, dier, coady,  white 

midfielders - rice , Bellingham , mount , Henderson , Maddison , Philips 

attackers - Kane, Toney , Wilson , sterling , foden , grealish , rashford , saka 

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Great picking..........well done!!........Are u sure you are not related To GS?  PS.  Just noticed u didn't get Gallagher, but you are allowed one!?

Yep. Just Toney out, Gallagher in. 
Otherwise spot on. Well done sir. 

I’m gonna claim 2nd place though, as I did say Toney would be out, and I did mention Gallagher, so I wasn’t quite so accurate. ?

Overall, the fact he’s picked Maddison, I don’t think there’s too much controversy in there. 
The likes of Toney, Ward-Prowse, Tammy, Tomori could probably consider themselves unlucky but they’ve not been out there demanding to be selected, like Maddison has been with his recent form. 

Can’t really argue with any of it. 

Interesting if it was a 23 man squad, as before. Likely White, Gallagher & Maddison wouldn’t have been in. 

19 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I thought Walker was injured and likely to miss the tournament so i didn't include him, otherwise just Trent in for Tomori from my guess
Gallagher (forgot about him, wasnt on the squad selector I used!) instead of Ruben-Cheek
No Sancho or Bowen, Wilson & Rashford instead

Don't think there's any real suprises there based on the last few team selections.

It's hardly awe-inspiring, but then we've not left out any shockers IMO just unproven hopefuls.

This was the World Cup that the FA targeted to win. Lets hope he pulls the handbrake off

And the key point is the ‘handbrake’, which is the reason England did not win the Euro’s. 1-0 after 8 minutes against an aging Italian side, albeit on a good run, and he tries to shut-up shop - niave in the extreme.

I am not one of those anti- England Scots, I genuinely want you to do well but with Gareth in charge I can’t see more than the last 8.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, deadredfred said:

Trying to get excited about it, but struggling.

I'll still end up watching I'm sure, but whether its because its winter, in Qatar or England's current poor form, I'm feeling pretty indifferent to all of it (says the man commenting on the squad announcement on a football forum).

We're on the same page mate. I'm only reading this thread to see if I can get excited, but nah..! Once it starts it might change my mind.

Too worried about us at the moment..!

The defence looks shit but to be expected as Southgate has never called up the guys who deserve it like Dunk and Webster.

I don't really understand 5 attacking midfielders excluding wingers (Gallagher, Mount, Grealish, Foden, Maddison) and only 2 and a half strikers if you count Rashford - would rather Toney instead of say Gallagher.

Otherwise it's a non controversial squad much in the mould of the manager

As for the World Cup instead I'm looking forward to the excuse of a lunchtime beer next Monday week but the actual event itself not excited at all.

Edited by cidercity1987

24 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Happy with that. Think I'll start to really feel the WC hype after Watford, that has all my attention at the mo!

Totally agree get this weekend out the way and then suddenly all the focus will be on the World Cup .I know a lot of regulars that are not going and the rest just doing the group games because of the cost . Tickets for the group games start at £50 but rise sharply once the knockout games start . Going for the Wales game and that’s it but keeping a open mind on what it’s going to be like and take no notice of all the crap in the papers about £80 a pint ect 

Shame for Toney and Abraham. GS's explanation about not picking TA was that he stopped scoring goals, yet he has exactly the same stats in goals/assists this season as Raheem Sterling.

Picking RS, KP, HM is pure player Favouritism. That is of course fine, but just be honest about it. 

Anyway onwards and upwards. I have a feeling we will struggle

1 hour ago, Swede said:

Before I get shot down at not being patriotic we play a high intensity pressing game. We will not be able to sustain that in those searing temperatures whereas countries such as Iran may well be more suited to that type of extreme weather.

It was hotter for some of the games in Russia than it will be in Qatar. 

Volgograd, Nizhny Novgorod, Samara (all 2018) and Manaus (2014) were more uncomfortable temperature wise than Doha will be. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Goes for Pickford too, guy is a different player for England but often poor for Everton. 

He’s rarely poor for Everton. Had a dodgy spell a couple years ago where he made a couple of mistakes but their fans think he’s brilliant. He won their player of the year last season by the way. 

He is always class for England though. You see a big drop off in standards whenever any other keeper comes in I reckon. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1