IGNORED

Penalties…what can we do?

Harry

I think we’re never going to get a penalty again. 
We need to start influencing these referees. They’re probably not aware that we haven’t had one since 1947. 

We need to laminate this photo and stick it on all 4 walls of the officials changing room. We should also have Jason Euell have a laminated copy and show it to the 4th official every time we have a shout turned down. 
They need to know. 

This pic was based on stats in August. I’m sure our line is off the chart now…..

599FF236-34C1-4D1F-8E8A-3CF1720A1814.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

Has anyone got a clip of the incident today?

I think, probably because we have waited so long, we sometimes see borderline calls erroneously as bad decisions. 

However, and considering I viewed it from Dolman centre so some way away, that just looked like a penalty in real time.

The only thing I can think is that the ref was very keen to allow physicality in the game, and Tbf I think that made for a good spectacle and he generally reffed it well. However, he got that one the wrong side of the line for me.

• Like 2

Not sure if is just me, but I can understand each decision not being given (since last penalty).  I can't remember us having a stonewall penalty and today neither looked like pens to me.  The south sand seemed to appeal for one at the Atyeo end, but fans closer didn't appeal at all

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bbew said:

Not sure if is just me, but I can understand each decision not being given (since last penalty).  I can't remember us having a stonewall penalty and today neither looked like pens to me.  The south sand seemed to appeal for one at the Atyeo end, but fans closer didn't appeal at all

The first one, Wells gets goalside of the defender, who tugs his shirt and pulls him in toward him. 
Second one, it’s a high foot. Wells basically gets kicked in the face. 
Both penalties for me 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bbew said:

Not every decision surely. Been a fair few obvious ones in there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Has anyone got a clip of the incident today?

I think, probably because we have waited so long, we sometimes see borderline calls erroneously as bad decisions. 

However, and considering I viewed it from Dolman centre so some way away, that just looked like a penalty in real time.

The only thing I can think is that the ref was very keen to allow physicality in the game, and Tbf I think that made for a good spectacle and he generally reffed it well. However, he got that one the wrong side of the line for me.

5 minutes ago, bbew said:

Got to be on a wind up. 

• Thanks 1

I’d genuinely like someone to explain how either of them ain’t penalty’s. He’s got a chunk of wells shirt & pulls to the ground 

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Possibly the one in the vid might have been deemed a bit soft.

But it’s a free kick anywhere else on the pitch & a yellow card 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

I’d genuinely like someone to explain how either of them ain’t penalty’s. He’s got a chunk of wells shirt & pulls to the ground 

Yep. Wells is about to go toward the ball and he’s clearly tugged, and pulled back into the defender

2nd one is crazy though. Kicked his face off. High foot. Free kick and probably yellow card anywhere else on the pitch. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

That’s 100% a pen imo . I could see from the far end of the dolman he was pulling wells shirt 

Nope - can’t agree. It’s one of those that happens dozens of times in a game. I think we need to be balanced here.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

And in the interests of balance, that top one is 100% a penalty

• Like 3

As I said in the matchday thread, the laws are so clear on the high kick. These are the pertinent sections of the Laws that show it's a clear penalty offence. As stonewall as scything someone down when one on one.

It's clearly reckless, or at the very least careless to raise your studs with power, to head height so near to an opponent's head.

Law 12

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

• jumps at Yes
  • kicks or attempts to kick Yes
  • tackles or challenges Maybe
  • Careless is when a player shows a lack of attention or consideration when making a challenge or acts without precaution. No disciplinary sanction is needed Yes
  • Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned Yes. So yellow card as well.

Law 14

A penalty kick is awarded if a player commits a direct free kick offence inside their penalty area or off the field as part of play as outlined in Laws 12 and 13.

And for the shirt pull see Law 12 again which also demands a direct free-kick for holding an opponent or impeding an opponent with contact where it's careless, reckless, or with excessive force - that shirt pull is clearly impeding Wells and it's excessive force imo.

Law 14 then applies as above.

Both are penalties by the letter of the law.

I look forward to us adding two shiny new apology letters to our Big Wall of Apology Letters.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

First one: for me the shirt pulling is outside the box. Defender knows what he’s doing and stops as soon as they get into the box. Then it’s just contact and the ref was letting a lot of that go for both sides today.

Second would likely have been given anywhere else but we all know sometimes the bar seems to be raised as high as his foot when it’s in the area. Probably a pen, but not stonewall for me. 

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Nope - can’t agree. It’s one of those that happens dozens of times in a game. I think we need to be balanced here.

And in the interests of balance, that top one is 100% a penalty

No one will convince me either of them isn’t pens. I’m at the far end of the dolman & it was clear he’s pulling wells shirt. That’s a foul anywhere on the pitch , including in the box . 

1 minute ago, italian dave said:

First one: for me the shirt pulling is outside the box. Defender knows what he’s doing and stops as soon as they get into the box. Then it’s just contact and the ref was letting a lot of that go for both sides today.

Second would likely have been given anywhere else but we all know sometimes the bar seems to be raised as high as his foot when it’s in the area. Probably a pen, but not stonewall for me. 

No he doesn’t . It continues into the box which means it’s a penalty 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, italian dave said:

To my eye there's a second tug after they cross the 12 yard line. Yes it starts outside the box but Wells is clearly being impeded in the box.