IGNORED

Minutes silence

A Horse With No Name

Was it just me or did we mess up again. The announcer clearly said the bugler would play the Last Post, then it would be followed by a minutes silence which would be ended by the referees whistle. That's how it's done.

What we do, and have done in previous years is, as soon as the Last Post finishes a loud roar goes up instead of the silence. The referee blew his whistle immediately but it was just wrong. Just a small thing but needs pointing out because technically we never gave the minutes silence.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Was it just me or did we mess up again. The announcer clearly said the bugler would play the Last Post, then it would be followed by a minutes silence which would be ended by the referees whistle. That's how it's done.

What we do, and have done in previous years is, as soon as the Last Post finishes a loud roar goes up instead of the silence. The referee blew his whistle immediately but it was just wrong. Just a small thing but needs pointing out because technically we never gave the minutes silence.

I get what your point but I thought the silence was impeccably observed. My father never wanted to listen to the Last Post because of his wartime experiences but even he would have chuckled when the bugler played a wrong note.

Today there was over 21k in AG and it’s worth remembering that the same amount of British troops were killed on the first day of the Somme - the worse amount of casualties in British military history. Such a tragic loss of a generation of men. Personally I find it very poignant. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I get what your point but I thought the silence was impeccably observed. My father never wanted to listen to the Last Post because of his wartime experiences but even he would have chuckled when the bugler played a wrong note.

Today there was over 21k in AG and it’s worth remembering that the same amount of British troops were killed on the first day of the Somme - the worse amount of casualties in British military history. Such a tragic loss of a generation of men. Personally I find it very poignant. 

There wasn’t a silence though, was there? 

I am pretty sure the announcer said  there would be "a period of silence which will be ended by the Referee's whistle" which was actually what happened, although the "period of silence" only lasted about 2 seconds.  I distinctly remember the "period of silence" being stated as I thought that it was unusual, as I am sure that I had read somewhere (the OS?) that there would be one minute's silence.

Edited by New Dazzler
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Indeed. The announcer stated what would or rather should happen, however, its football fans, not the brightest bunch generally. 

Pity really, even though it sounded like a cracking atmosphere during the game, the opportunity was there to show due respect. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I am pretty sure the announcer said  there would be "a period of silence which will be ended by the Referee's whistle" which was actually what happened, although the "period of silence" only lasted about 2 seconds.  I distinctly remember the "period of silence" being stated as I thought that it was unusual, as I am sure that I had read somewhere (the OS?) that there would be one minute's silence.

Same at Wolves game tonight.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was carried out in the wrong order. The silence should come last. Whoever planed it, messed up. In many previous seasons on Remembrance Day I don’t remember it being organised as it was today. 

Nonetheless the occasion was acknowledged - that’s the most important thing.

I think that’s exactly the point being made. We were told the silence would come last. What happened was about two seconds of silence while the bugler prepared to play, the the last post, then instead of the proper minutes silence everyone started clapping.

But yes you’re right: it was acknowledged and it wasn’t deliberate and that’s the important thing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was carried out in the wrong order. The silence should come last. Whoever planed it, messed up. In many previous seasons on Remembrance Day I don’t remember it being organised as it was today. 

Nonetheless the occasion was acknowledged - that’s the most important thing.

Its always,always The Last Post followed by silence.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Don't get where you are coming from. It was organised that way and announced as such. Just didn't happen, nor was there a silence before the Last Post. Or are you deliberately being argumentative? 

Jeez…………:facepalm:

It doesn’t really matter in the way Remembrance was organised. The important factor is that it was acknowledged. Let’s leave it there.

50 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Its not a small thing for many of us. It's yet another example of the ill-educated F'Wits who follow City. Those so stupid as to be unable to show respect by following a simple instruction.

Both sets of players and the officials breaking ranks when they should have stood firm was equally disrespectful.

The instruction broadcast was clear. Following The Last Post there was to be a quiet period of reflection during which the names of City personnel who'd paid the ultimate sacrifice would be displayed on the big screen, the reflection ending on the referee's whistle. Not difficult to follow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

He said that (after the last post) there would be a minutes silence, to be ended by the referees whistle. 

He didn’t say minute, I remember clearly as I thought they normally say minute. It was literally a moment as everyone started clapping and cheering. Sorry for any misunderstanding 

Edited by Rossi the Robin
  • Like 2