IGNORED

Minutes silence

A Horse With No Name

28 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Its not a small thing for many of us. It's yet another example of the ill-educated F'Wits who follow City. Those so stupid as to be unable to show respect by following a simple instruction.

Both sets of players and the officials breaking ranks when they should have stood firm was equally disrespectful.

The instruction broadcast was clear. Following The Last Post there was to be a quiet period of reflection during which the names of City personnel who'd paid the ultimate sacrifice would be displayed on the big screen, the reflection ending on the referee's whistle. Not difficult to follow.

To be fair, the initial noise I heard came from the Watford end, there was a response from our lot, but it was to tell them to shut up. It’s a shame that a very small minority ruined it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

He didn’t say minute, I remember clearly as I thought they normally say minute. It was literally a moment as everyone started clapping and cheering. Sorry for any misunderstanding 

Minute, moment, there was clearly supposed to be a period of silence. And as @BTRFTG has pointed out, a period long enough for the City personnel who’d sacrificed their lives to be recognised . It didn’t happen. There was no silence of any description after the last post. 
I don’t think it was deliberate, but it really didn’t seem that difficult to understand. 

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Minute, moment, there was clearly supposed to be a period of silence. And as @BTRFTG has pointed out, a period long enough for the City personnel who’d sacrificed their lives to be recognised . It didn’t happen. There was no silence of any description after the last post. 
I don’t think it was deliberate, but it really didn’t seem that difficult to understand. 

It was nice to see the military personnel getting a standing ovation when they left the pitch by the SS / Lansdown corner - I think they appreciated it. I didn’t realise the game had started 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

To be fair, the initial noise I heard came from the Watford end, there was a response from our lot, but it was to tell them to shut up. It’s a shame that a very small minority ruined it. 

Matters not who started it. Its personal responsibility and shouting at others to maintain silence is equally as disrespectful. You don't do it. From where I was it was far from a small minority.

As if that wasn't bad enough we then witnessed the disgraceful scenes of so-called supporters cheering, chanting, shouting and mocking at sight of a professional footballer who'd clearly suffered a serious injury. When Gosling went down, from his position on the park in relation to other players, from his anguished cry, his dropping like a stone, his immediately imploring assistance from his bench and his obvious anger when that didn't arrive immediately, it was evident to anybody who'd ever watched football he'd suffered a serious injury. How respectful then to berate him, to cheer the signal for a stretcher and its arrival. "Cry in a minute, he's going to....." Do you really have to be taught such behaviour is abhorrent and disrespectful? The F'wits will backtrack claiming they wouldn't have so acted had they realised he'd ruptured his achilles and couldn't stand. But they did, because they do. Its their nature as that's the type of folks they are. 

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Matters not who started it. Its personal responsibility and shouting at others to maintain silence is equally as disrespectful. You don't do it. From where I was it was far from a small minority.

As if that wasn't bad enough we then witnessed the disgraceful scenes of so-called supporters cheering, chanting, shouting and mocking at sight of a professional footballer who'd clearly suffered a serious injury. When Gosling went down, from his position on the park in relation to other players, from his anguished cry, his dropping like a stone, his immediately imploring assistance from his bench and his obvious anger when that didn't arrive immediately, it was evident to anybody who'd ever watched football he'd suffered a serious injury. How respectful then to berate him, to cheer the signal for a stretcher and its arrival. "Cry in a minute, he's going to....." Do you really have to be taught such behaviour is abhorrent and disrespectful? The F'wits will backtrack claiming they wouldn't have so acted had they realised he'd ruptured his achilles and couldn't stand. But they did, because they do. Its their nature as that's the type of folks they are. 

I agree with all you’re saying mate, sadly I think this a problem with society in general, especially the younger generation.

59 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

He didn’t say minute, I remember clearly as I thought they normally say minute. It was literally a moment as everyone started clapping and cheering. Sorry for any misunderstanding 

The first time I heard they say "moment" instead of "minute" was the match involving Liverpool, following the death of the Queen.  There could then be no criticism if they did not maintain silence for the whole minute.

Wouldn't have thought that "moment" would need to be used at AG.  Seems quite a few teams did the applause by mistake, it's still done as a mark of respect and appreciation for those who did not return, that's the important thing. 

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Tbf, the way he went down, from the SS looked rather comical. Maybe had his team not of been wasting time prior to that then he may have been taken more seriously. 

6 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Tbf, the way he went down, from the SS looked rather comical. Maybe had his team not of been wasting time prior to that then he may have been taken more seriously. 

To boo to start with in that instance - fair enough. To continue to give him stick when he’s on a stretcher - pathetic. Regardless of whether the rest of the team had been timewasting.

• Like 1

• Admin
11 hours ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Was it just me or did we mess up again. The announcer clearly said the bugler would play the Last Post, then it would be followed by a minutes silence which would be ended by the referees whistle. That's how it's done.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is done at official events, but there's protocol that other moments of silence finish with ravelle (not sure how to spell it) but local events should have the period of silence and then end with the last post playing 

Either way the club messed it up 

• Like 1

• Admin
9 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

He wouldn't be the first or the last player to be OK though

I forget who it was a couple of seasons ago, went down exactly as you described, stretchered off in agony. But as soon as he got to the touchline he made a miraculous recovery 

THAT'S why he got that reception 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

I forget who it was a couple of seasons ago, went down exactly as you described, stretchered off in agony. But as soon as he got to the touchline he made a miraculous recovery 

Is it something about Weston S Mare?

That’s no excuse and we shouldn’t be trying to make them.

”A couple of seasons ago” blah blah……Thirty minutes before we’d paid tribute to a player whose career had been cut tragically short by injury. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

Greg Halford for Rotherham under Colin.   I get angry on a fairly regular basis at the football but that was the most rage inducing incident I’ve ever witnessed.  How he got away with it I’ll never know! 

Yesterday was very very different though.   Context is everything.   There was absolutely no reason for Gosling to time waste and he was very clearly seriously hurt.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, lenred said:

Greg Halford for Rotherham under Colin.   I get angry on a fairly regular basis at the football but that was the most rage inducing incident I’ve ever witnessed.  How he got away with it I’ll never know! 

Yesterday was very very different though.   Context is everything.   There was absolutely no reason for Gosling to time waste and he was very clearly seriously hurt.  

Same, they didn’t even have a sub warming up even those they still had subs remaining.

It’s almost like the fans need an announcement at every stage or they mess it up.

I must admit I don’t blame the ref for just blowing his whistle and getting on with it, there was no way a moments silence was about to happen any time soon and then it just gets awkward.

At least it was quiet for the bugler. 

• Like 2

Watford were indeed the ones who started to clap when it was meant to be silent, and they were the section that had some nondies singing and chanting during the chaplain's reading and the Last Post. Admittedly, lots of other Watford fans shushed the idiots.

I'm glad to say that AFAICS City fans observed the remembrance impeccably. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Watford were indeed the ones who started to clap when it was meant to be silent, and they were the section that had some nondies singing and chanting during the chaplain's reading and the Last Post. Admittedly, lots of other Watford fans shushed the idiots.

I'm glad to say that AFAICS City fans observed the remembrance impeccably. 

I said at the time that I thought that once Watford started to clap the ref realized that it would not be possible for the period of silence to be observed so decided to blow the whistle early. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barkhamred said:

I said at the time that I thought that once Watford started to clap the ref realized that it would not be possible for the period of silence to be observed so decided to blow the whistle early. 

We got about 1 second of silent reflection :laughcont:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phantom said:

No. He got that reception because far too many of our so-called supporters are ill-educated, lowlife F'wits. I don't recall anybody going off on a stretcher at AG to make such recovery but assuming one once did so I suppose you'd consider it OK to abuse all future opposition players seriously injured on the field on the basis they might be play-acting?

On 12/11/2022 at 22:06, BTRFTG said:

Its not a small thing for many of us. It's yet another example of the ill-educated F'Wits who follow City. Those so stupid as to be unable to show respect by following a simple instruction.

Both sets of players and the officials breaking ranks when they should have stood firm was equally disrespectful.

The instruction broadcast was clear. Following The Last Post there was to be a quiet period of reflection during which the names of City personnel who'd paid the ultimate sacrifice would be displayed on the big screen, the reflection ending on the referee's whistle. Not difficult to follow.

Ill-educated ******** who sing God save the Queen, sticking a line in it about 'No Surrender' without having a scooby what that is referring to. 

In fairness he did say several times a minutes silence with follow the last post, perhaps could have put this up on the screens. The ref and the players clearly knew what was planned, so they should have stood firm, only then needed an announcement to repeat we will now hold a minutes silence, when the names of city players who lost their lives will be displayed.