IGNORED

U21s - PL Cup - Newcastle Utd (h)

Davefevs

14 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Are Newcastle in the league above us................or have i got it wrong?   

They’re the category above, doesn’t really mean much in terms of league as ability doesn’t have as much to do with it. The teams who in recent years have gone cat 1 to cat 2 haven’t dominated when they’ve come down and palace did well the first season they moved up 

6 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Was an excellent performance and a very entertaining game.  Bell was superb & is such a cool & natural finisher.  His pace with Pearson was too much for them to handle. We’ve only seen him in flashes in first team but he has the main attribute of pace and can finish, so only a matter of time before he becomes a regular.

Good to see Joe Low bounce back and had a winning battle with Duncan Ferguson son who is the spit of him.  Very commanding and vocal.

Shout out to Omar Taylor Clarke who is getting better every game and Zak Bell who Ive yet to see have a bad game.

Excuse my ignorance but can one just turn at HPC to watch?

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

No, don’t know the exact process myself, but I know season ticket holders have to book.  There is no parking either, but a shuttle bus from AG.

So I would have to drive past it from Portishead to get to AG, only to get a shuttle back? 

@Shuffle, I take it your directions are "from Bristol"?

10 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Loved that academy program with Palace in it

It was a good series. Showed how much time and effort kids and parents had to give. And the emotional turmoil. Sadly imo, it came to an abrupt end. 

What it also showed, which is common, is how many parents live their life through their kids. And had to step back and let the coaches do the talking.

Choosing Agents at such a young age as well. And the ' gifts' they receive. 

A lot of the youngsters came from deprived backgrounds. Sadly the incentive to do well was money. When the kids were asked what they wanted to achieve from football...the answer was always material possessions. Cars, houses etc.

A good little insight to academy life though. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Tony.

Now you're talking,  Tony Currie,  i was a Leeds fan as a nipper and he was class for a while... Sniffer Clarke was my favourite tho, bit before Currie. 

He was once voted Sheffield utds best player of all time and still works there as community liaison officer .  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was a good series. Showed how much time and effort kids and parents had to give. And the emotional turmoil. Sadly imo, it came to an abrupt end. 

What it also showed, which is common, is how many parents live their life through their kids. And had to step back and let the coaches do the talking.

Choosing Agents at such a young age as well. And the ' gifts' they receive. 

A lot of the youngsters came from deprived backgrounds. Sadly the incentive to do well was money. When the kids were asked what they wanted to achieve from football...the answer was always material possessions. Cars, houses etc.

A good little insight to academy life though. 

Couldn’t say it better myself 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Just kicked off:

6B37843D-4A98-4BFA-81C4-536AE5AE1E64.jpeg

Does anyone have any information about how Sam Pearson is getting on ? He seemed to be on his way out in the summer, had a loan at Yeovil, and has now returned and started the last 2 under 21 games. From the lineups it looks like he's playing upfront and seems to be involved in good attacking play, scoring or assisting.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

So I would have to drive past it from Portishead to get to AG, only to get a shuttle back? 

@Shuffle, I take it your directions are "from Bristol"?

Yes…. Coming up past Long Ashton so HPC on left.  There’s no way I’d get a shuttle bus but as I said parking on street left at first lights you hit with a leisurely 10 min walk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Some good stuff there

What I see if the U21s , I do sometimes wonder whether Alex Ball has had an influence with the way we set up at first team level  , insomuch that together with NP and staff have recognised that those coming through , the future , are suited to such a system of play , and do it pretty damn well

Its a bit left field , but if so , you could see the thinking about build and thought / plan ahead for the next few years 

Bit of a misguided thought ? What you think Fevs ?

39 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Some good stuff there

What I see if the U21s , I do sometimes wonder whether Alex Ball has had an influence with the way we set up at first team level  , insomuch that together with NP and staff have recognised that those coming through , the future , are suited to such a system of play , and do it pretty damn well

Its a bit left field , but if so , you could see the thinking about build and thought / plan ahead for the next few years 

Bit of a misguided thought ? What you think Fevs ?

Put it this way, last season (when we got to see most games streamed) I never saw us as typical “pass it for passing’s sake” academy team, we played high tempo, quite scruffy at times, football.  But it was effective, and we pinched balls high up or in midfield.  Which I guess tried to mirror the first team.  Back three also, but we have playing a back three in the academy for a little while.

My only issue is what happens when first team move away from a back three, do Academy move with them?  Are our Academy players well-rounded?  I dunno.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

I find it odd that we make the under 21s play one formation just because the first team play that. Pearson has said he isn’t a fan of the formation but is playing it as it suits the players. Does it suit the under 21s as well coincidentally? Our young centre backs are getting no experience of playing in a two.    I will caveat that I find it odd by saying that people who know far more about football than me and everyone else on this forum have made the decision, would just like to understand it a bit more 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I find it odd that we make the under 21s play one formation just because the first team play that. Pearson has said he isn’t a fan of the formation but is playing it as it suits the players. Does it suit the under 21s as well coincidentally? Our young centre backs are getting no experience of playing in a two.    I will caveat that I find it odd by saying that people who know far more about football than me and everyone else on this forum have made the decision, would just like to understand it a bit more 

Yep, that’s my point above.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Put it this way, last season (when we got to see most games streamed) I never saw us as typical “pass it for passing’s sake” academy team, we played high tempo, quite scruffy at times, football.  But it was effective, and we pinched balls high up or in midfield.  Which I guess tried to mirror the first team.  Back three also, but we have playing a back three in the academy for a little while.

My only issue is what happens when first team move away from a back three, do Academy move with them?  Are our Academy players well-rounded?  I dunno.

Newcastle were the team who certainly played  it around more and were more a possession based team.  Our game plan is to press and as you say nick balls and that’s what we did.  That’s not to say that we didn’t play some good stuff but As I understand it the formation is played all through academy ages.  I think if your good enough you’ll adapt to a 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3 and sure they play different formations in training and even if games if it needs changing.

• Like 1