IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

2 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

There have been empty seats everywhere for most of the 2nd half. Not that unusual in World Cups where two teams from economically poor and small countries might be playing on another continent, but it’s the host nation and opening game ffs.

If the hosts can’t be bothered to stay to support their own team at the opening game, I wonder what attendances are going to be like for other matches given how few foreign fans have travelled. Especially for the less attractive fixtures. Could be a terrible spectacle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Brave man ?

I wonder what chants the English and Welsh come out with tomorrow, could be interesting in the stands with the locals!

He IS right though, naff all wrong with the disallowed goal. Just a pity for the corrupt officials that Qatar are soooo bad that they can't even cheat their way through.

All about ££££ where Qatar are concerned and I hope they get totally humiliated in their 2 final group games.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If the hosts can’t be bothered to stay to support their own team at the opening game, I wonder what attendances are going to be like for other matches given how few foreign fans have travelled. Especially for the less attractive fixtures. Could be a terrible spectacle.

To be fair, the stadium looked completely full at kick off. 

Not sure how true this is but apparently this is the England team 
                    Pickford
Trippier. Stones Maguire. Shaw
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Saka
                      Kane

edit: apparently Saka over Foden but actually wondering if Foden plays central and not Mount 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Foden 
                      Kane

If true, i like the attacking look, but would be worried about a back 2 against better opposition, but that is a worry for a different match. Certainly wouldnt be disappointed by that 11 tomorrow.

28 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Saka
                      Kane

edit: apparently Saka over Foden but actually wondering if Foden plays central and not Mount 

I’m not a huge watcher of England these days, but that looks okay to me.

9 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

If true, i like the attacking look, but would be worried about a back 2 against better opposition, but that is a worry for a different match. Certainly wouldnt be disappointed by that 11 tomorrow.

Edited it since your reply as apparently Saka in over Foden which would be a surprise to me.  I think he will go 3 at the back in the harder games for sure 

29 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Foden 
                      Kane

I would be very happy with that. Personally think if he’s brave we have every chance of doing well again this tournament.

Take Sterling out for either Saka or Maddison & get Walker back in (maybe at the expense of Shaw & play Trippier LB) it’s our best team

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Saka
                      Kane

17 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Would kinda prefer Foden as he's better suited to tucking in yo create some kinda 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 hybrid. A little more orthodox than Mount got say a 4-3-3 out of possession.

Wouldn't say no to Maddison over Sterling too although the latter more tried and trusted at this level of course.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

From the squad he has picked it’s pretty much what I’d go with apart from Mount who is having a bad season. 

Yeah, fair enough, I wouldn’t really know on that aspect.

Looking forward to seeing Rice and Bellingham together in that position.  Rice is a good player, so much improved from the player who first got into the England team and never made passing angles.  I see Bellingham a bit like I see Alex Scott, and that is that I want them on the ball, and I think as part of a two with Rice he can get on the ball loads, but also with a bit of licence.

51 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Pickford
             Rice. Bellingham 
       Sterling. Mount. Saka
                      Kane

More than good enough for Iran, but Stones and Maguire look a dodgy combination to me.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

I would be very happy with that. Personally think if he’s brave we have every chance of doing well again this tournament.

Take Sterling out for either Saka or Maddison & get Walker back in (maybe at the expense of Shaw & play Trippier LB) it’s our best team

Edited by Mr Hankey
Quoted wrong comment

29 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Saka over Foden would be a very Southgate decision! Saka is decent but not better than Foden on any level.

Behave :facepalm: I’m yet to see Foden have a decent game in an England shirt, plays well for Man City but goes missing everytime internationally. Saka has been great for arsenal for 2+ years now and rarely plays badly for England. The debate shouldn’t be Saka or Foden, it should be Foden or Mount. 

• Like 1

No idea why all the tabloids are saying “Saka in over Foden” when surely it’s Sterling (or even Mount) in over Foden.

Saka doesn’t really have any competition for the right hand side attacking role, maybe Maddison who often plays there for Leicester.

I think it’s maybe a good idea to give Mount and Sterling this opportunity, as they know that if they blow it against Iran then they’ll lose their place pretty quick. 

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Wtf  why ?

quelle surprise

Mysterious VAR decision disallows goal against Qatar 

Well, there’s a thing

Surprise?

Today's VAR Panel!

image.png.43ffe9663a52f6d245ee697d6e69a28e.png

Edited by downendcity

One observation too, catching up with a couple of articles.

In terms of Qatar- think a couple of issues were conflated. Fans paid on one hand and possible fake fans.

Those Indian fans cheering for England, were likely genuine. The PL IS popular in South Asia, Qatar has quite a lot of South Asian migrants and as a result likely they will if they have a favourite national football team, gravitate towards England.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63645416

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/fifa-world-cup-india-qatar-2022-8278187/

Sure some might be paid or fake but lazy and perhaps incorrect to assume lots are. Read that Argentina and Brazil also quite popular over there (India etc).

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

He IS right though, naff all wrong with the disallowed goal. Just a pity for the corrupt officials that Qatar are soooo bad that they can't even cheat their way through.

All about ££££ where Qatar are concerned and I hope they get totally humiliated in their 2 final group games.

They will be, Senegal and the Netherlands. null points I think.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Negan said:

Behave :facepalm: I’m yet to see Foden have a decent game in an England shirt, plays well for Man City but goes missing everytime internationally. Saka has been great for arsenal for 2+ years now and rarely plays badly for England. The debate shouldn’t be Saka or Foden, it should be Foden or Mount. 

resident advisors sam GIF by HULU

Edited by Mr Hankey

10 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Except it was offside!.

8 hours ago, Negan said:

Don’t know why he can’t play Saka & Foden