IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-63645416

https://indianexpress.com/article/sports/football/fifa-world-cup-india-qatar-2022-8278187/

Sure some might be paid or fake but lazy and perhaps incorrect to assume lots are. Read that Argentina and Brazil also quite popular over there (India etc).

Yes there is a lot wrong with this World Cup but listening to some of our journalists who have spent time with these fans it would appear that they are genuine PL supporters and by default gravitate towards supporting England.

• Like 1

Based on last night's performance, Qatar are going to get absolutely annihilated by the Dutch. But I suspect they had first night nerves. 

On the question of attendances, bear in mind that Qatar and the Middle East in general has a huge - I mean huge - population of Western immigrants ("ex-pats"): only 15% of Qatar's population is indigenous*, IIRC from the little time I spent there. The major infrastructure, professions, etc are all entirely run by foreigners. 

*Whilst there (admittedly 10 years ago), I met the (Australian) head of their population and demographic analysis - he said the locals were really keen to try to develop home-grown talent, as their natural resources (mostly gas, contrary to popular opinion) will run out soon. So they need to be more self-sufficient.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, E.G.Red said:

Don’t know why he can’t play Saka & Foden

That’s my point. Foden isn’t a right winger, Saka is. So it’s weird that fans/media are having a Saka/Foden debate when they are 2 different players. It should be Sterling or Mount that Foden competes with and he’s better than both of them. Southgate for you though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Negan said:

That’s my point. Foden isn’t a right winger, Saka is. So it’s weird that fans/media are having a Saka/Foden debate when they are 2 different players. It should be Sterling or Mount that Foden competes with and he’s better than both of them. Southgate for you though. 

But you can play Sterling right and Foden left or Saka right and Sterling left so it can be Foden V Saka. 

Just now, CheddarReds said:

looks like you're staying on one of the cruise ships in the port? How have you found it early on?

Yes, I was on board the MSC World Europa for 2 nights, but am downgrading for the USA and Wales games. 
It has been great so far. Fans from all parts of the world are staying on the two ships. Absolutely loads have travelled from Argentina, Mexico and the US. Plenty of Welsh too. Haven’t seen any German fans yet but am sure they’ll be arriving soon. 
There’s a microbrewery on the ship and a (very decent) pint is €12.50. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Yes, I was on board the MSC World Europa for 2 nights, but am downgrading for the USA and Wales games. 
It has been great so far. Fans from all parts of the world are staying on the two ships. Absolutely loads have travelled from Argentina, Mexico and the US. Plenty of Welsh too. Haven’t seen any German fans yet but am sure they’ll be arriving soon. 
There’s a microbrewery on the ship and a (very decent) pint is €12.50. 

Bet there are no sun beds free though are there!!!

1 hour ago, Negan said:

In reality it's Sterling v Rashford on one side and the others competing for a place on the other side.They're the only ones who will run in behind Kane and pose a consistent threat.

Grealish, Mount, Foden, Saka all want ball to feet.

7 minutes ago, The Bard said:

In reality it's Sterling v Rashford on one side and the others competing for a place on the other side.They're the only ones who will run in behind Kane and pose a consistent threat.

Grealish, Mount, Foden, Saka all want ball to feet.

Frankly, any of them should be good enough at this level. I'm not fussed about the forwards, we should be more worried about the defence. That's the area that could really let us down. 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Frankly, any of them should be good enough at this level. I'm not fussed about the forwards, we should be more worried about the defence. That's the area that could really let us down. 

I agree, they are all easily good enough. I would prefer to see Foden, but that's probably because I just watching the lad play, rather than how much more effective he is. I see a few people mention Maddison and he is another that's easy to watch, but unfortunately Southgate said he wasn't fit enough yet in yesterday's interview.

14 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

He IS right though, naff all wrong with the disallowed goal. Just a pity for the corrupt officials that Qatar are soooo bad that they can't even cheat their way through.

All about ££££ where Qatar are concerned and I hope they get totally humiliated in their 2 final group games.

He may be right on most levels, but the goal was rightly disallowed. Let’s not let thoughts about Qatar in general cloud our judgement of every decision!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

I would be very happy with that. Personally think if he’s brave we have every chance of doing well again this tournament.

Take Sterling out for either Saka or Maddison & get Walker back in (maybe at the expense of Shaw & play Trippier LB) it’s our best team

Maddison and Walker are both injured, Saka’ in the team (according to reports)

• Thanks 1