IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

3 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The only difference between the 2 penalty shouts that may have influenced VAR was the likelihood of the player challenging for the ball if not fouled, HM was no where near the ball, not sure that should or not be a factor 

I take your point and it's the sort of thing refs might consider but I don't think the laws suggest that should be a factor.

It's a bit like pundits saying a penalty shouldn't be awarded because the player was going away from goal, which is irrelevant.

Decent.

Great going forward, vulnerable at the back. 

With the squad Southgate picked, unsurprising. Let’s just hope he’s the tactical nouse to deal with those who might find it easy to unpick us. 

Hats off to the opposition, they gave it a good go for the full 900 minutes and for their stand on not singing the national anthem - brave men and they should be proud of themselves. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I reckon it says you'll spend the rest of the tournament trying to convince people you don't have an issue with race. 

My comment is based entirely on my experience of seeing Latino players diving, rolling around, trying to con referees not only in the PL but in the Champions League - take Athletico Madrid as a perfect example, managed by an Argentinian and probably the worst of all was the infamous ‘Hand of God” by that cheating shit Maradonna.

The Latino’s call that “street craft” and they see it as a positive……..jeez………:facepalm:

The VaR officials today were Uruguayan and  that says it all…………..:dunno:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Hats off to the opposition, they gave it a good go for the full 900 minutes and for their stand on not singing the national anthem - brave men and they should be proud of themselves. 

Agreed, that took real courage given the consequences they could face at home.

I wonder if FIFA will give all their players retrospective yellow cards for making a political gesture?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

My comment is based entirely on my experience of seeing Latino players diving, rolling around, trying to con referees not only in the PL but in the Champions League - take Athletico Madrid as a perfect example, managed by an Argentinian and probably the worst of all was the infamous ‘Hand of God” by that cheating shit Maradonna.

The Latino’s call that “street craft” and they see it as a positive……..jeez………:facepalm:

The VaR officials today were Uruguayan and  that says it all…………..:dunno:

Ah, English exceptionalism because our brave lads would never do that would they?

And what the hell does your rant have to do with the referee giving a penalty? Were the VAR officials diving and rolling around when they advised the referee? Or are you saying they cheated? Bizarre.

And it's Atletico Madrid.

58 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In fairness

Weve cut them apart because we’ve been very slick , very sharp , great energy and off ball movement

They aren’t a side expected to concede six

We have been excellent, truly excellent

Southagte going to be brave to revert to 3 centre halves , but likely to be required 

Bit of a dilemma for him with us looking so,potent going forward

Multi-dimensional….set Iran up by spreading them wide, then exposed them through the lines….so then they go narrow, and we expose them through width.

Good performance.  Annoyed by late penalty decision.  Great result…I was thinking nervy 1-0.  Some very strong individual performances.  Our full-backs are often criticised but I thought they did very well today.

25 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Five?

Umm why would they? Both pens or both not IMO

That’s a bit racist isn’t it?

Six….concussion sub.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

FIFA world ranking are nonsense, I agree. But Iran aren’t that bad. They did well against decent Senegal and Uruguay teams recently. We’ve just been utterly dominant and ruthless today.

Note that I'm not watching the WC, but Iran have lost 2 in 21 games before the WC, they aren't a bad team.

19 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

All Team USA tonight ain’t we!?

Clearly a combination of getting old/not having lived in Bristol for a long time…but don’t have a problem with Wales and will be supporting them rather than the Irish/Biden hate-the-Brits mob from across the pond. 

Not only that, in terms of swimming against the tide on here, I think I’m going to quite enjoy a feast of football from a sunny, hot place in the darkest, coldest and most boring part of our year. I’ll even go as far as it’s quite different and novel seeing England fans not smashed by drink and drugs in the stadium!

OTIB ban incoming.

13 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Crowds aren't looking great.

45k for the Eng game in a 68k capacity ground and Senegal v Netherlands looks half full in a stadium of 40k. 

The Khalifa looked and felt full once the issue with the ticketing app (which meant many missed kick off) was resolved. Don’t believe it holds 68k. Think it was at capacity today. 

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Multi-dimensional….set Iran up by spreading them wide, then exposed them through the lines….so then they go narrow, and we expose them through width.

Good performance.  Annoyed by late penalty decision.  Great result…I was thinking nervy 1-0.  Some very strong individual performances.  Our full-backs are often criticised but I thought they did very well today.

Six….concussion sub.

Ah them, thought meant Maguire - his wasn’t a concussion sub

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Explain yourself please 

Come on it's a way of life for southern European players  they do it all the time fall over at the slightest contact, its not RACIST to point that out it's just what they do, stop looking for offence where non is genuinely intended.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Crowds aren't looking great.

45k for the Eng game in a 68k capacity ground and Senegal v Netherlands looks half full in a stadium of 40k. 

Everything online suggests the capacity of the Khalifa stadium is only 40-45k?

Admittedlt the Dutch game looks poor, although commentators said it’s now about 75% full

27 minutes ago, sticks 1969 said:

I didn’t think you were interested in the World Cup 

and South Gate a poor manager?
you will be painting your face Friday night I reckon 

You’re wrong there sticks. The WC is a football bonanza and as a lifelong football fan I have no plans to miss any of it.

I even arranged a bowls match replacement for me so I could watch England live.

Southgate has achieved nothing in the managerial game. He’s a FA man who won’t rock the boat and nowhere near a proper manager.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Come on it's a way of life for southern European players  they do it all the time fall over at the slightest contact, its not RACIST to point that out it's just what they do, stop looking for offence where non is genuinely intended.   

What’s that got to do with a referee and giving one decision but not the other?

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

What’s that got to do with a referee and giving one decision but not the other?

None whatsoever, apart from inconsistency, which is why I was not surprised to see somebody from the Iran side competing in strictly come dancing being awarded a ten whilst our player being given a penalty against him, cynical? well you decide.