IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

43 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Ah, English exceptionalism because our brave lads would never do that would they?

And what the hell does your rant have to do with the referee giving a penalty? Were the VAR officials diving and rolling around when they advised the referee? Or are you saying they cheated? Bizarre.

And it's Atletico Madrid.

You asked for an explanation, you got one, just grow up and move on

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re wrong there sticks. The WC is a football bonanza and as a lifelong football fan I have no plans to miss any of it.

I even arranged a bowls match replacement for me so I could watch England live.

Southgate has achieved nothing in the managerial game. He’s a FA man who won’t rock the boat and nowhere near a proper manager.

Replace him with Danny Wilson? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Southgate has achieved nothing in the managerial game. He’s a FA man who won’t rock the boat and nowhere near a proper manager.

Aside from a World Cup semi final, and a Euro's final. Aside from being the most successful manager since Alf Ramsey. You have some odd opinions on "proper managers".

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Nope. Welsh ancestors so Wales all the way.

I would imagine in say Merthyr Tydfil most of the locals had Iranian T shirts on UNDER their Welsh shirts so you will forgive me for maybe not sharing your enthusiasm :laugh:.  

Edited by pillred
Punctuation.
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, pillred said:

Come on it's a way of life for southern European players  they do it all the time fall over at the slightest contact, its not RACIST to point that out it's just what they do, stop looking for offence where non is genuinely intended.   

The term @Robboredused was Latino, which refers to US citizens of South American ancestry. South Americans tend not to use the term. So no connection with Southern Europe but given the later reference to Atletico Madrid having an Argentinian manager he was clearly referring to the South American officials.

I don't see his comments as racist just an irrelevance when it comes to talking about the VAR officials. The argument seemed to be "South American players cheat, the VAR officials were South American therefore they cheated".

Given our experience of VAR in England I think it's better to conclude it's cock up not conspiracy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

I didn’t think you were interested in the World Cup 

and South Gate a poor manager?
you will be painting your face Friday night I reckon 

This???

374AA79B-0950-410D-BCFA-29DFCA79892B.jpeg.910aba455cf979f76e4063bb7b207b71.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

i'd like to see Wales go through 

me too.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Ah them, thought meant Maguire - his wasn’t a concussion sub

If Iran have a concussion sub, we are allowed an extra sub.

If Maguire’s was a concussion sub, I’ve no idea whether that means both sides could have 7 subs in effect???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

My comment is based entirely on my experience of seeing Latino players diving, rolling around, trying to con referees not only in the PL but in the Champions League - take Athletico Madrid as a perfect example, managed by an Argentinian and probably the worst of all was the infamous ‘Hand of God” by that cheating shit Maradonna.

The Latino’s call that “street craft” and they see it as a positive……..jeez………:facepalm:

The VaR officials today were Uruguayan and  that says it all…………..:dunno:

Robbo, you will find that even players from your local Nailsea and Tickenham  football club ( you probably have never watched them though!) try and con referees.

It’s a world wide phenomenon nowadays, cheating and trying to con the officials, but of course it’s always the fault of the referee, the Lino’s or the var officials ?

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Rugby tackle on England player, no foul.

Slight shirt pull on Iran player, Pen.

VAR is ******* shit no consistency at all

Spot on. And while it’s not a big deal tonight, imagine decisions like that go against us in a knockout game, or even a semi-final or final. We’d all be going mental.

What I don’t understand is they had VAR down to a tee in the Euros. How has it regressed so much in the 18 months that’ve passed since? 

Edited by tin
Typo
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, tin said:

Spot on. And while it’s not a big deal tonight, imagine decisions like that go against us in a knockout game, or even a semi-final or final. We’d all be going mental.

What I don’t understand is they had VAR don’t to a tee in the Euros. How has it regressed so much in the 18 months that’ve passed since? 

I seem to remember the Women's World Cup had it bang off, quick and accurate , I don't remember the Woman's Euros having any issues either. 

9 minutes ago, tin said:

What I don’t understand is they had VAR don’t to a tee in the Euros. How has it regressed so much in the 18 months that’ve passed since? 

Quick question, I haven’t time to trawl back through this thread, but has anyone mentioned the two great advantages the referee played for England’s third and fourth goals ?.

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

What do you get for losing a semi or a final Nothing

I'd rather experience semi finals and finals, than going out in group stages.

The Euro's semi final I had a fabulous night out with my mates that will stay with me for the rest of my life. 

42 minutes ago, Selred said:

Aside from a World Cup semi final, and a Euro's final. Aside from being the most successful manager since Alf Ramsey. You have some odd opinions on "proper managers".

Yes his record is impressive at first glance but he's only achieved that by virtue of having the easiest routes to the latter stages since England first entered an International tournament. Every qualifying group is effectively a bye into the tournament and a chance for the strikers to rack up the goals,  very easy 1st round groups and for the 3rd time under his tenure  England probably won't meet a team who could possibly win the tournament until at least the semi-final.This England squad is not one of best we've had  their record is very misleading, As Napoleon i think once  said I'd rather have a lucky general than  a good general.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

Yes his record is impressive at first glance but he's only achieved that by virtue of having the easiest routes to the latter stages since England first entered an International tournament. Every qualifying group is effectively a bye into the tournament and a chance for the strikers to rack up the goals,  very easy 1st round groups and for the 3rd time under his tenure  England probably won't meet a team who could possibly win the tournament until at least the semi-final.This England squad is not one of best we've had  their record is very misleading, As Napoleon i think once  said I'd rather have a lucky general than  a good general.

Can you actually evidence this please? ? 

Because personally I think you're chatting bollocks

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

The sort of response I expected!.

I guess people have to know the laws of the game to notice!.

Well not sure if you missed it, but it was a joke ffs.

I have tried to find the highlights to have another look, but couldn't find any decent ones. I thought the Ref for the most part was decent. There was one great spot where an Iran player dived by the touchline. He waved it away when I've seen free kicks given for it loads of time so far this season.