IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

But yeah…. Southgate is a poor manager as he’s always had to play against easy teams in major competitions ????

Indeed! People are absolutely clueless in this country. I have another good feeling about this tournament for us, we look like a team and a country with a manager that finally understands tournament football.

Who gives a **** about how many qualifiers you win or what you do in the nations bloody league. Get results on the stage that matters and Southgate has done that extremely well since he has come in. A semi a final and i wouldn’t bet against us at least getting to the semi’s again this time around.

• Like 2

Just now, Bris Red said:

Indeed! People are absolutely clueless in this country. I have another good feeling about this tournament for us, we look like a team and a country with a manager that finally understands tournament football.

Who gives a **** about how many qualifiers you win or what you do in the nations bloody league. Get results on the stage that matters and Southgate has done that extremely well since he has come in. A semi a final and i wouldn’t bet against us at least getting to the semi’s again this time around.

"The Nations League is pointless, nobody cares about it" is the usual line. Unless of course England do badly in it in which case it suddenly becomes an important tournament.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Whatever his detractors might say, players he selects do seem to want to play for him, he seems able to get a tune out of players like Maquire and gets his eleven  playing like a team. That he's managed this after only a week with the players ( compared to pre-tournament time in the Euros and the last WC) says a lot, so hopefully they can only get stronger as the tournament unfolds.

Whether he is an FA "yes man" or not, when he leaves the job he will be measured, and remembered, by his major tournament record and in this respect he ranks second only to Sir Alf.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

They'll be popping champagne corks in Riyadh...oh

When I first visited The Kingdom I was offered glass after glass of 'Saudi Champagne' which I declined not wanting to break the local laws. It took a few days before I realised the champagne shaped bottles contained nothing more than an ultra fizzy, light coloured apple juice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Whatever his detractors might say, players he selects do seem to want to play for him, he seems able to get a tune out of players like Maquire and gets his eleven  playing like a team. That he's managed this after only a week with the players ( compared to pre-tournament time in the Euros and the last WC) says a lot, so hopefully they can only get stronger as the tournament unfolds.

Whether he is an FA "yes man" or not, when he leaves the job he will be measured, and remembered, by his major tournament record and in this respect he ranks second only to Sir Alf.

Definite FA yes man

FA - "Gareth, please do well in major tournaments"

Southgate - "Yes"

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, redsince1994 said:

Definite FA yes man

FA - "Gareth, please do well in major tournaments"

Southgate - "Yes"

From a press conference in 2013, Greg Dyke (then FA Chairman) said "The two targets I have for the England team are - one, to at least reach the semi-finals of Euro 2020 and two, win the World Cup in 2022."

Southgate "Yes, sir".

23 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

"The Nations League is pointless, nobody cares about it" is the usual line. Unless of course England do badly in it in which case it suddenly becomes an important tournament.

While I largely agree wirh this analysis, it is worth noting that our Nations League underperformance has dropped us into a harder group than we need to be in for Euro 2024 qualifying.

Yes we'll qualify, not least because half of Europe seems to qualify these days and the jeopardy seems to have gone out of it but 2nd pot means we slot in with Italy and Ukraine either side of us.

Under the old system with playoffs, no backstop with Nations League and no top 2 qualifying verbatim it would have been trickier had we dropped into Pot 2- ie when only 16 qualified.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

8 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

When I first visited The Kingdom I was offered glass after glass of 'Saudi Champagne' which I declined not wanting to break the local laws. It took a few days before I realised the champagne shaped bottles contained nothing more than an ultra fizzy, light coloured apple juice.

And very nice too. I would often sit on my patio with a bottle after work.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tre Bong said:

This is the most bizarre WC ever! But you know what? I'm actually enjoying it more than i thought i would. 

yOU'rE Not aLlowEd TO eNJoY It

1 minute ago, Barrs Court Red said:

“Have you ever seen a flag as late as that?” Has Hartson not seen any premier league games in the last year?

Nah, he was too busy choking one out to Gareth Bale vids

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tre Bong said:

This is the most bizarre WC ever! But you know what? I'm actually enjoying it more than i thought i would. 

Argentina losing badly in their opening game makes it a memorable WC, whatever else happens from here on!