IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

2 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

It’s frustrating to see a team this bad at a WC when you’ve got the likes of the European Champions Italy sat at home.

Or where there's not a single representative from Oceania. Yes New Zealand may not be world beaters, but surely every continent should get at least one spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

I thought Australia was considered Oceania

See below.

Just now, The Gasbuster said:

Australia really need to go back to the Oceania group. Ridiculous that they play as an "Asian" team.

Agreed, but also silly that Oceania don't get at least one fixed spot. I accept that this is changing with the expansion to 48 teams, but in my opinion there's room in 32 for a team from Oceania.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cidercity1987 said:

Yes sure, stepping across to protect the ball, the sort of penalty that Ronaldo gets at least once a month

Or, alternatively, deliberately sticking your leg between the ball and a player who is trying to kick it (which you are not). Who is initiating the contact here? To me, this “buying a foul” shouldn’t be allowed.

• Like 2

Just now, NewquayRed said:

Cant help but feel nervous for the game tonight, planets aligning to create a barnstorming finish to this group on Tuesday if we end up drawing with USA,

Really hope I'm wrong and this is just indigestion 

Think it shows how well we executed our plan against Iran, and how we shouldn’t underestimate USA (Southgate won’t).  Not saying Iran are world-beaters, but they showed today that they can offer more than we afforded them on Monday.

Although I wasn’t watching intently (had it on iPhone whilst working), I couldn’t believe how open Wales were, and several times the Wales CB was one on one with the Iran CF, but saved himself with a good interception or Iran misplaced a pass.

Wales are at their strongest as the underdog, men behind the ball, looking to spring on the counter.  Today, they over-committed, and were lucky to go into the final minutes at 0-0, even when they had 11 men.  Iran picked them off and deservedly won.  Too many times they tried to dribble when pass and move would’ve been the better option (if teammates worked angles).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NewquayRed said:

Cant help but feel nervous for the game tonight, planets aligning to create a barnstorming finish to this group on Tuesday if we end up drawing with USA,

Never take anything for granted, and the USA and Canada have both played with huge energy and commitment.

We win tonight then obviously through. Effectively as group winners as only Iran can catch us and something has to go horribly wrong if they pip us on gd.

Draw today and we have 4 points, USA 2, Wales 1 and Iran 3 going in to the last round. Even if we lost our last game you would think that would be enough. Iran and USA could not both go ahead of us, and whilst Wales could, they would need to beat us by about 4 goals. 

So - win and we are effectively group winners. Draw, and we are effectively through. Lose - and its all in the air!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Or, alternatively, deliberately sticking your leg between the ball and a player who is trying to kick it (which you are not). Who is initiating the contact here? To me, this “buying a foul” shouldn’t be allowed.

There was one the other night, Canada / Belgium, which wasn’t given.  I think the Canada player moved his left leg unnaturally into the line of the Belgium defender.  As you say I think he initiated contact, rather than was fouled.  But it’s not easy to spot.

8 minutes ago, NewquayRed said:

Nah. This is a great day. Wales pretty much out, Qatar out. Planets aligning for further good times tonight.

Relax, enjoy it.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There was one the other night, Canada / Belgium, which wasn’t given.  I think the Canada player moved his left leg unnaturally into the line of the Belgium defender.  As you say I think he initiated contact, rather than was fouled.  But it’s not easy to spot.

It’s not, and I’ve rarely met anybody who agreed with me. But, unless I’m imagining it, lots of players are now deliberately putting themselves in the way of an opponent who is genuinely trying to kick the ball. If there’s a big back lift it’s easy to do.

• Like 1

Gareth Bale “The red card really changed the game”.

No it didn’t Gaz. You were getting battered anyway. 

I’m so disappointed with how shit Wales were today. They made Iran look class. A midfield of Allen, Ramsey and Bale is probably the leggiest midfield there’s ever been. Absolutely atrocious!

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Gareth Bale “The red card really changed the game”.

No it didn’t Gaz. You were getting battered anyway. 

I’m so disappointed with how shit Wales were today. They made Iran look class. A midfield of Allen, Ramsey and Bale is probably the leggiest midfield there’s ever been. Absolutely atrocious!

I was just about to type the same, I only saw the 2nd half but it could easily have been 4 or 5 nil with more composure from Iran on the final pass.

Fitness levels made a big difference and as others have said, it took a long while to realise Bale was on the pitch.

The trouble with such a talisman is you can't really sub them even though it would have evened up the game.

14 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

You can hear the wails of anguish throughout Wales.

Name change to Cry-mu is more appropriate than Cymru.

Never mind, they only have to face England next.

They'll be hoping England will Bale them out.

Shame they beat Ukraine to get to this World Cup.

Ukraine would have given a much better account of themselves. To see them at the tournament would have been truly inspiring.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Although I wasn’t watching intently (had it on iPhone whilst working), I couldn’t believe how open Wales were, and several times the Wales CB was one on one with the Iran CF, but saved himself with a good interception or Iran misplaced a pass.

Jüst what I thought. Several times he got 1v1, back to the CB and ball at his feet, but couldn't get past him. Good defending I suppose, but you would expect Kane to be much smarter and get past him a few times in those positions. I think our pace from MF could trouble them if they play the same way, which would be surprising.