IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

I'm fed up with people making excuses for Southgate and shouting that those of us who want him gone only shout when we are losing. No we don't. The bloke is the most negative coach to have held the role, his substitutions and game management are pathetic. To keep selecting his favourites is wrong. If the muppet concentrated on football instead of all the peripheral crap we might actually win something.

To actually claim after the game he enjoyed how we created from the back sums him up!

The quicker he is gone the quicker we can move forward

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I'm fed up with people making excuses for Southgate and shouting that those of us who want him gone only shout when we are losing. No we don't. The bloke is the most negative coach to have held the role, his substitutions and game management are pathetic. To keep selecting his favourites is wrong. If the muppet concentrated on football instead of all the peripheral crap we might actually win something.

To actually claim after the game he enjoyed how we created from the back sums him up!

His negativity cost England Euro 2020.

I simply do not understand why Phil Foden does not start every game if fit. He is a generational talent, ask Pep, yet he goes with Mason Mount.

Sorry, I just don’t get it.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Performative outrage competition is in full flow. Some strong entries so far.

It’s genuinely hilarious how much some people lose their stuff over a draw. Not just on here but everywhere.  Like we have some divine right to win every game.  ‘Ing embarrassing.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Doesn't help when ITV News are making out that England's qualification is in far more peril than is actually the case.

Sensationalist nonsense that only feeds the overreaction.

I thought the same

It's almost impossible that we don't go through and they are making out it's on a knife edge 

• Like 1

Kane ain’t fit, one of the best young players in the world is getting splinters in his arse sat on the bench, an in-form Rashford gets 12 minutes to make an impact. 

Southgate’s clueless. We have the players to make an impact at this World Cup, but he doesn’t have a clue what to do with them. That's the issue we had at the Euro final and it's still an issue now. This 'just don't lose tactic' is exactly what lost us the Euros final.

Having followed England home and away for years, I feel gutted for anyone who went out to watch that dross tonight. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, frenchred said:

You’re not going to get rid of your manager mid-tournament though 

1 hour ago, ScottishRed said:

His negativity cost England Euro 2020.

I simply do not understand why Phil Foden does not start every game if fit. He is a generational talent, ask Pep, yet he goes with Mason Mount.

Sorry, I just don’t get it.

Said it before the game on Monday. Why the hell is Mount starting? For me he isn't even as good as Maddison let alone Foden and Grealish. Average player at a good team in my opinion.

Welcome to international tournament football lads. Tbh, it’s shite. That was basically Scotland 0-0 in the euros all over again. But guess what, basically cements us finishing top of the group. You don’t get special treatment for battering every team in your group games. You get 8 games every 2 years that really matter as a national team head coach, just don’t lose as many as you can and you’ll be fine. Thems the brakes

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Iran sat back, we scored an early goal and therefore smashed them

Iran sit back we don't score an early and its a totally different game maybe 0-0 maybe a 1-0 win or even worse they get us on the break

USA fantastic at pressing, poor at scoring. Score early we probably smash them. Don't score early and they get confidence to make it a difficult game

I dunno what is rocket science about the above

As a summing up not sure I could better that, really in football confidence is key and tonight we lacked that and well we all saw what happened, let's hope that the penny finally drops and they realise that they don't have to just turn up against teams that are so called below them because Argentina and Germany found out to there cost that it can be fatal to under estimate the opposition.   

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps Monday took a bit more out of some players?  Lessons to be learned, re freshening it up???

We did not press the USA at all so started to sit deeper and deeper, especially second half.

I get the Henderson sub. I don't get Rashford over Foden. Grealish with his technical ability caused USA problems. Maybe Foden on for Mount?

I would have taken Kane off and put Wilson on. TAA for Trippier.

I still don't get why Ben White did not come on against Iran but hey ho.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Said it before the game on Monday. Why the hell is Mount starting? For me he isn't even as good as Maddison let alone Foden and Grealish. Average player at a good team in my opinion.

And always seems to go missing in big games for club and country. 

I don't watch many Chelsea games but I've not heard any hype about him this season so doesn't look like he's pulling up trees for then currently. 

Foden however...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lenred said:

It’s genuinely hilarious how much some people lose their stuff over a draw. Not just on here but everywhere.  Like we have some divine right to win every game.  ‘Ing embarrassing.  

So a team that got to the semi finals of the last world cup and the FINAL of the euro only last year is not by the fans expected to beat a team many places below us in the world rankings is embarrassing really? 

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

So a team that got to the semi finals of the last world cup and the FINAL of the euro only last year is not by the fans expected to beat a team many places below us in the world rankings is embarrassing really? 

Yep.  You got it. That’s exactly what I’m saying.   
Ps how are the WINNERS of the Euros getting on? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pillred said:

As a summing up not sure I could better that, really in football confidence is key and tonight we lacked that and well we all saw what happened, let's hope that the penny finally drops and they realise that they don't have to just turn up against teams that are so called below them because Argentina and Germany found out to there cost that it can be fatal to under estimate the opposition.   

As a previous England manager put it, in his own inimitable style......

image.png.56cedfafbdf87f617e1973a4727c37b1.png

:D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

I would have taken Kane off and put Wilson on

The problem that is Harry Kane.  I’m long in the belief that when the team is playing well and creating chances, Kane is a phenomenal striker / finisher.  When we can’t get out of our half he offers nowhere near enough.  He couldn’t give us a Kieffer Moore option, so we constantly couldn’t get up the pitch.

I love Bellingham, but USA did a job on him tonight, very physical with him, and the ref let them.  Rice, who I’ve really grown to like too, didn’t take advantage of the space the attention on Bellingham gave him.  And the fluid rotations of Saka, Mount and Sterling against Iran, USA didn’t allow.  I didn’t like Mount’s positioning with USA in possession tonight…too often alongside Kane.

It was a below par performance, but maybe a bit of reality for fans who expect England to rock up and win every game.  We aren’t a great team.  We have good players, I’m not doubting that, but they are good players often playing with better players at club level…and without them it sometimes shows like it did tonight.

Gerrard had Torres at club level (as well as Alonso alongside him).

Lampard had Drogba.

Imho we are in that bracket of 8th-16th, so we should (on paper) get out of the group….which we will achieve (have virtually achieved).  Whether we go last 8, last 4, last 2, will ultimately require us to play better than we did tonight.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The problem that is Harry Kane.  I’m long in the belief that when the team is playing well and creating chances, Kane is a phenomenal striker / finisher.  When we can’t get out of our half he offers nowhere near enough.  He couldn’t give us a Kieffer Moore option, so we constantly couldn’t get up the pitch.

I love Bellingham, but USA did a job on him tonight, very physical with him, and the ref let them.  Rice, who I’ve really grown to like too, didn’t take advantage of the space the attention on Bellingham gave him.  And the fluid rotations of Saka, Mount and Sterling against Iran, USA didn’t allow.  I didn’t like Mount’s positioning with USA in possession tonight…too often alongside Kane.

It was a below par performance, but maybe a bit of reality for fans who expect England to rock up and win every game.  We aren’t a great team.  We have good players, I’m not doubting that, but they are good players often playing with better players at club level…and without them it sometimes shows like it did tonight.

Gerrard had Torres at club level (as well as Alonso alongside him).

Lampard had Drogba.

Imho we are in that bracket of 8th-16th, so we should (on paper) get out of the group….which we will achieve (have virtually achieved).  Whether we go last 8, last 4, last 2, will ultimately require us to play better than we did tonight.

I watched this one - although I'm not going out of my way to watch the World Cup, I'm not weirding out and giving up my usual Friday night in the boozer!!!!

We were just too slow, too ponderous and - as has often happened with England - by the time we got the ball in the final third, they had 8 bodies back. Compare and contrast with the panic caused when the USA broke with speed.

We sat on the ball, thinking about the "ideal" pass, when just advancing with it would've been the best option. 

We also seemed happy to allow the Americans to have unchallenged possession in their half from goal kicks. The fact they could literally walk it up to the halfway line then launch it to whoever had found some space, caused us all sorts of problems. England were pressed high whenever they were on the ball in our half. We never got a free pass. 

And I don't particularly blame any England player - although I'd have made subs at half-time and brought Foden on - I blame Southgate for his relentless caution, which means we cannot break through against any club that is well-drilled and not going gung ho. 

• Like 2

Maguire was the only English player that impressed me today. As much as I detest parking the bus he's effective when the priority is a clean sheet or protecting a lead. Tyler Adams was the best player on the pitch for me. I've seen where people have compared him to David Batty and while it's still early days that's probably his ceiling. For €17M he's one of the steals of the summer market.

Edited by Champfan45

Calm down, calm down.

USA needed the win more then we did and you could see that. Unlike me, GS had worked out that a draw was enough tonight.

If you don't play well make sure you don't lose, the subs did that.

Take a step back, we're through to the next round (we won't lose 4-0 to Wales, whichever combination of 11 players we pick) after 2 games, can rest players in the next game and still everyone is complaining. Argentina and Germany would do anything to be in our position right now.

Edited by fgrsimon
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

Calm down, calm down.

USA needed the win more then we did and you could see that. Unlike me, GS had worked out that a draw was enough tonight.

If you don't play well make sure you don't lose, the subs did that.

Take a step back, we're through to the next round (we won't lose 4-0 to Wales, whichever combination of 11 players we pick) after 2 games, can rest players in the next game and still everyone is complaining. Argentina and Germany would do anything to be in our position right now.

But 1st place is far from guaranteed.

• Like 2

Wasn’t vintage from England but the same bed wetting happened after the 0-0 draw with Scotland and we got to the final of that tournament and came within a few spot kicks from lifting a trophy.

Yes Southgate is negative but so far the guy has taken us further in tournaments than any other manager. His England teams aren’t pretty to watch but i really wouldn’t bet against us getting to the semi’s or final again in this tournament. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, pillred said:

With all at his disposal he should be winning tournaments 

What's he won?

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

What's he won?

Ridiculous statement. Since he became Manager, has he had more at his disposal than France, Germany, Brazil, Belgium? It's elite World Class competition, winning it is as rare as hens teeth. 

He has made us consistently competitive and that's an achievement in itself at this level. 

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, frenchred said:

What's he won?

Have you lived under a rock for the past 56 years or what? Have you not seen the countless managers that have tried and failed to get us to be competitive at international tournament level..

Just getting to the later stages of tournament football has proved impossible for the vast majority of previous England managers let alone winning things. Some have had better squads than what Southgate has at his disposal right now.

Some people in this country unfortunately are fairly deluded when it comes to international football. If people think winning world cups and euros is all about playing scintillating attacking football every game then they are very mistaken.

Just ask the Italians or the Germans - both countries masters at grinding out results and winning trophies not always playing pretty expansive football.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1