IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

18 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

Any others before or after?

Norman Hunter

Terry Cooper

I may be wrong, but I don't think Hunter played in the Cup - although he was in the 66 and 70 squads (I've got his medallion in my ESSO '70 tournament book!? )

Cooper never scored for England.

Not sure if Jacki D scored for Poland at the finals??

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Lethal in front of the net he was

I’m sure he had a few shots on goal. They definitely weren’t aimed at any of his teammates ?

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Not your fault mate because you must of jumped in without understanding,it’s who has scored at a World Cup 

True story ???

58 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Do you want to go hung ho and get absolutely battered when we play a good team like when brazil got battered by the Germans,imagine the scenes on here if we got thumped 7-1 or whatever it was

Dress it up all you want USA are not a good team.  We made them look one!

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Very good shout. Apparently scored a hatful in qualifiers but never got a goal in the finals.

You are right, I recall at the time it being said that Costa Rica were missing their top scorer, Saborio, through injury so I don't think he played at all in the Finals despite his goals getting them there

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I may be wrong, but I don't think Hunter played in the Cup - although he was in the 66 and 70 squads (I've got his medallion in my ESSO '70 tournament book!? )

Cooper never scored for England.

Not sure if Jacki D scored for Poland at the finals??

Norman came on as a sub in the fateful defeat to W Germany in 1970 didn't he?

5 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

France won their first game comfortably and are in exactly the same position as us. I wonder if they’ll put in the same sort of negative, dull, pedestrian performance that we did. I’m guessing they won’t, and neither will Spain tomorrow

They won't and they are playing a half decent team whereas we played the us of bloody a

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I got one!

Peter Odemwingie for Nigeria v Bosnia in 2014.

Very good again, but this is a goal scored before he joined us isn't it? 

So technically not ex-City when the goal was scored.

1 minute ago, frenchred said:

They won't and they are playing a half decent team whereas we played the us of bloody a

Who are a half decent team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I tell you what, I do not have the talent to be a TV cameraman following the game at one of these Cup matches, but if I was assigned the "totty camera" role, scanning the crowd for the nice-looking ladies jumping up and down, I could draw on a skillset developed for decades. 

Ark at Romeo 

11 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Norman came on as a sub in the fateful defeat to W Germany in 1970 didn't he?

Good memory (or Wikipedia-ing). I watched most of that year's Cup in a caravan park at Lychett Minster, with my dad wiring up a black & white portable to the car battery. 

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

Ark at Romeo 

You can tell Mrs R is away for a few days.  :whistle2::laughcont:

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, frenchred said:

USA are a decent side, just lacking in a finisher. It still doesn’t excuse our terrible performance and neither does the fact that we could relax and not take any risks because a draw would see us qualify. France will also effectively qualify as a draw but they seem to have turned up today.

22 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I tell you what, I do not have the talent to be a TV cameraman following the game at one of these Cup matches, but if I was assigned the "totty camera" role, scanning the crowd for the nice-looking ladies jumping up and down, I could draw on a skillset developed for decades. 

And the award for most non pc post of the day goes to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Good memory (or Wikipedia-ing).

A memory* of the painful variety. Imagine the stick Sir Alf would have got on social media for the subs he made that day. And he didn't even have Foden in the squad!

*Though I do sometimes post something then wonder if it really happened. Old age never comes alone.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frenchred said:

At this moment with the negative muppet in charge, no. But we have the players to be better than them yes

Sorry, but I think you’re wearing slightly rose tinted glasses. Yes we have some good players but we aren’t on the same level as those teams.

I do agree with those saying that Foden should maybe have come on last night but it’s the typical stick to beat an England manager with. “Oh if he’d played such and such we’d be watching a completely different game as such and such is the best player ever”

He should have come on instead of Sterling or Saka as he usually plays wide in a front 3.

Alexander-Arnold is the one I felt should have come on as the best passer and crosser in the team. Trippier had a bit of a mare last night

• Like 2