IGNORED

World Cup 2022 thread (football only)

Super

Watched the last 20 minutes. So refreshing, full-on football. No cheating, high-intensity, fast, aggressive, front-foot football. The way to go. Hopefully, Southgate is watching and, frankly, if we play our passive, negative, sideways, backwards carp may be we should step aside and let a ‘free football’ team take the trophy. 

For all the critics of this tournament, I’m quite enjoying it. Like the timing in this normally ‘dead period’ of the year, like the idea of not having to watch drunken brawls between our lot and the Rest of the World, and really like the idea that boring, negative ‘crab-football’ is, hopefully, being consigned to history. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It's paid for any time that a player is registered with a club in the 2 years prior to the tournament. Fam left roughly 18 months ago. It's irrelevant how he left.

Morrell left more than 2 years ago so nothing for him.

Wollacott I'm not sure of. He's out in Qatar with Ghana, but I don't think he's an official squad member. So it's unclear whether we get the money for him as well. He left the club in summer 2021, same as Fam.

Would seem unlikely.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Would seem unlikely.

I agree. However, as I cannot find the actual "Rules" of the benefits programme online, I have to take the word of the FIFA website. That wording simply says:

"...approximately USD 10,000 to be received for each one of the days the relevant player remains with his national team during the FIFA World Cup 2022™ and the official preparation period."

Can the bit in bold be read to include players who are "with the team" even if they are not named in the official squad?

I think it's unlikely, and I expect the proper Rules of the programme to spell this out in more detail, but it's possible.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I agree. However, as I cannot find the actual "Rules" of the benefits programme online, I have to take the word of the FIFA website. That wording simply says:

"...approximately USD 10,000 to be received for each one of the days the relevant player remains with his national team during the FIFA World Cup 2022™ and the official preparation period."

Can the bit in bold be read to include players who are "with the team" even if they are not named in the official squad?

I think it's unlikely, and I expect the proper Rules of the programme to spell this out in more detail, but it's possible.

Guess it’s left a bit vague to cover players on stand-by too.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Watched the last 20 minutes. So refreshing, full-on football. No cheating, high-intensity, fast, aggressive, front-foot football. The way to go. Hopefully, Southgate is watching and, frankly, if we play our passive, negative, sideways, backwards carp may be we should step aside and let a ‘free football’ team take the trophy. 

For all the critics of this tournament, I’m quite enjoying it. Like the timing in this normally ‘dead period’ of the year, like the idea of not having to watch drunken brawls between our lot and the Rest of the World, and really like the idea that boring, negative ‘crab-football’ is, hopefully, being consigned to history. 

It really does help with Shitaly not qualifying

(granted they were much better at the last Euros !)

Just now, Davefevs said:

Guess it’s left a bit vague to cover players on stand-by too.

It's all administered electronically through the FIFA club portal, so ultimately there's not going to be much flex or negotiation. Wollacott would only be worth about US$50,000 plus about US$10,000 for every knockout stage. Probably not worth fighting for tbh.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Yet there's been 5 0-0 draws already, there was only 1 in the 2018 group stages

Yes, although there’s entertaining 0-0’s and England 0-0’s.

Ours are really a shockingly bad watch and have all to do with Southgate’s safety-first football. Admittedly, we were slow and lethargic which I’m sure would have been pinned on our ‘long season’ if we were playing the tournament in May/June, I just think it was the players themselves bored rigid by Southgate's negative anti-football, out-dated ways. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Yes, although there’s entertaining 0-0’s and England 0-0’s.

Ours are really a shockingly bad watch and have all to do with Southgate’s safety-first football. Admittedly, we were slow and lethargic which I’m sure would have been pinned on our ‘long season’ if we were playing the tournament in May/June, I just think it was the players themselves bored rigid by Southgate's negative anti-football, out-dated ways. 

We have had 15 tournament 0-0s since 1982. I think that's a truly embarassing record to have for a so called 'top' Nation.

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I see Klinsmann is getting torn apart for his comments about Iranian "culture" of gamesmanship. He made very similar points as the post about "latinos" on here - also said they wouldn't have got away with it with a european ref.

In fairness, I assumed he meant footballing culture and not sure it was meant about Iran as a "culture" outside of football - although he's hardly one to speak about sportsmanship, cheating, conning refs.

Not sure you can tarnish all people from one particular country like that though. Not all Germans cheat and dive like Mr Klinsmann did.

It was clear that he was talking about their Football culture and not about the Country itself. People looking for something to be upset at.

Italians are known for defending, Brazilians known for flair, England known for bottling tournaments and hooligans. It's stereotyping, but not offensive, they're good at gamesmanship and being difficult opponents is probably what he meant.

• Like 1